Gs 400

i had a diagnostic run on my 98' gs400 a few days ago and have been told that i need to replace the front brake calipers and front/rear rotors. has anyone else run into a similar problem? how much did it cost to replace? factory parts?

thanks.

not knowing your service history and mileage i don't know if we can comment :blushing:

i'm wondering what is wrong with your calipers that would require them to be replaced rather than rebuilt...?

i've had regular srvices on the car. the mileage is 140k.

thanks,

i had a diagnostic run on my 98' gs400 a few days ago and have been told that i need to replace the front brake calipers and front/rear rotors. has anyone else run into a similar problem? how much did it cost to replace? factory parts?

thanks.

not knowing your service history and mileage i don't know if we can comment :blushing:

i'm wondering what is wrong with your calipers that would require them to be replaced rather than rebuilt...?

what problems are you having with your brakes? doesnt it seem weird that both of your front calipers need replacing?

for pads, i use oem toyota parts. for rotors, aftermarket is okay, your existing rotors might have enough useful life in them to have them turned. for calipers, aftermarket calipers are only available for bbk upgrades. otherwise, you can get rebuilt calipers from your local parts store (autozone, murrays/cragen, napa, etc.) for a lot less than the dealership.

thanks for the info. i had my car atken to autozone for a routine diagnostic and they told me i needed to replace calipers, rotors and pads. the problem with the brakes is that they make a weird noise when i brake. also, when i turn to the right, the right fron wheel is the problematic one, and step on the brakes, it makes the same noise. any ideas?

thanks,

what problems are you having with your brakes? doesnt it seem weird that both of your front calipers need replacing?

for pads, i use oem toyota parts. for rotors, aftermarket is okay, your existing rotors might have enough useful life in them to have them turned. for calipers, aftermarket calipers are only available for bbk upgrades. otherwise, you can get rebuilt calipers from your local parts store (autozone, murrays/cragen, napa, etc.) for a lot less than the dealership.

I also doubt that both your calipers at that mileage are having problems. But if so you could save your self big bucks if you rebuild them yourself with a rebuild kit that should be available through Lexus. I rebuilt me rear calipers and it was very simple. If I had went to the dealer to get new brake calipers it would have been over $460. Rebuild kit was $17.00! Very simple. Its pretty easy by looking at the pad wear to determine whether or not your calipers are functioning properly. The pad wear should be even on both sets of pads. I wouldn't trust them completely if they told me I needed all that done. You should inspect your brakes yourself and see what really needs to be done. Save $$

Autozone is trying to rip you off, period. You don't need calipers, and Anthony is exactly right, at most the sliders need lubing. Japanese made calipers have some of the best seals in the industry. The pistons will push back easily if you need pads.

Noise doesn't matter at all if the pad thickness is ok. Just live with it until you need new pads. Rotors can be measured to see if they have run-out and whether they can be turned and be within spec.

In general, any "mechanic" that lists a bunch of things that must be replaced, is a rip-off artist at best.

now that is a wrong statement.

How is that? He takes his car in because it is making a funny noise, and is told he needs calipers, rotors, and pads. Well, which part is making the noise? All of them? I don't think so.

As a mechanic, I will explain which parts need replacing, and why. Those that don't need replacing, get re-installed.

This is why Midas and all of the other franchise places can offer a "fixed estimate". They simply replace everything, and that's why there are no surprises. However it is rather expensive....

now that is a wrong statement.

How is that? He takes his car in because it is making a funny noise, and is told he needs calipers, rotors, and pads. Well, which part is making the noise? All of them? I don't think so.

As a mechanic, I will explain which parts need replacing, and why. Those that don't need replacing, get re-installed.

This is why Midas and all of the other franchise places can offer a "fixed estimate". They simply replace everything, and that's why there are no surprises. However it is rather expensive....

i'm saying that by painting all mechanics that give you a list of what you car needs, as a "rip off artist" is wrong. some cars just need a lot of repairs. yes, you have to take the time and explain everything (if they want to listen, some don't).

i had a ford exploxer in yesterday that needed all 4 front ball joints and 2 front tires. now am i a "ripoff" artist because the vehicle had 4 bad ball joints and it wore the 2 front tires out?

my response wasn't in direct relation to the above mentioned car. it was an attempt not to let my choice of profession be painted in such a general manner.

And my statement was not intended as a global one against mechanics. So I think we are agreed. Obviously there are some times when a great deal of work is needed, and lots of parts get replaced. And other times many parts are replaced because "we're in there anyways".

My LS had a bad inner and outer tie rod end on the left side when I bought it. It got a left inner and outer, and not the other side. Didn't need the right side done, still doesn't. But you and I know that many shops, having to pay the bills on the bay, would replace the right side too, unneccessarily. Happens every day.