Glass Scratch Question

Hey guys, well I finally got the windows of my gorgeous charcoal grey ES300 tinted. I went to the best tinter in Australia to get it done. It looks great...not too dark, so nice and classy.

BUT...

The tinter's blade broke and he accidentally scratched my rear window. It's not very noticeable, but he insists on doing the right thing and replacing the window for me. (I'm a journalist and he wants to impress me).

My questions are:

1) How can I ensure he gets the same high quality lexus glass? I've heard that my model (2000) had special UV and IR resistance glass.

2) Is it a risk that the new windscreen would never ever fit as well as the original?

3) Would you ensure that Lexus fitted the new screen?

4) Would you bother. The scracth is about 8 inches long and off to the left hand side near the dark surrounds.

Your advice would sure be appreciated.

Cheers

Stephen

Sydney...Australia.

1) How can I ensure he gets the same high quality lexus glass? I've heard that my model (2000) had special UV and IR resistance glass.

I would insist that they order OEM glass to do this replacement. There are too many variables with aftermarket glass.

2) Is it a risk that the new windscreen would never ever fit as well as the original?

Using the OEM glass, and installed by professional, qualified, auto glass people should ensure that the job will fit as well as the original installation.

3) Would you ensure that Lexus fitted the new screen?

Generally, glass work is NOT done by Lexus service departments, but farmed out to companies that specialize in this type work.

4) Would you bother. The scracth is about 8 inches long and off to the left hand side near the dark surrounds.

If the scratch is not too deep, there are companies that have methods to reduce, or completely remove these scratches. Personally, I would try this method before going to the hassle of replacing the glass, but that's your call.