Leak In Rear Passenger Roof

acflye

Have a 92 LS 400 and I get a wet headliner (rear left behind driver) and even water standing in the left passenger light that is by the rear window above head. I think the leak is coming from the rear window......can this be sealed without messing up the defroster and antennas?

I think a more likely source for the leak would be the sunroof drain holes. There are two of these holes at the front of the sunroof assembly and two at the back. Leaks involving blockages of the front drain holes are very common and have been discussed before on the forum. These blockages are usually fixed quite easily by either running some kind of fairly stiff material down the drain hole (plastic weedeater line works quite well) or by blowing the lines open with compressed air.

The big difference is that the front drain holes are easily accessible, and the rears are not.

The first thing I would do is remove the trunk lining and see if you can access the plastic drain lines from there. Be very careful with the lines. You don't want to pull them loose from their connections with the sunroof assembly.

It has seemed to me when I have encountered this problem with the front drain holes, the blockage was very close to the top of the drain line where there was a change of direction (from horizontal to vertical) in the drain line. I don't know if this would be the case in the rear.

By the way, do you normally park your car with the rear end lower than the front? This would cause more water drainage toward the rear, thereby bringing more dirt and debris toward the rear drain holes. I park my car most of the time with the front lower than the rear. This would explain my having problems with the front drain holes becoming blocked.

Good luck.

i can see the front drain holes.....i have the slightest idea where the back ones are......i removed the trunk liner and nothing.....i tilted the sunroof and can see the path the water flows....but no drain hole.....I am desperate...it is raining hard here and my headliner is gettin soaked.......has anyone ever cleared the rear sunroof drain holes or is this a job for the lexus dealer