Gs40 Timing Belt Change

I'm a little over 80,000 on my '99 GS400. Is it near the time to change the timing belt? I've seen do-it-yourself postings, but outside of that and the dealership which I believe will be $$$$, does anybody have a ball park figure on cost? I understand it is suggested to change the water pump at the same time. Also does anybody have a recommendation for a good mechanic in Montgomery County, Maryland or that general area?

Thank you,

:cheers:

Roadrunner

I'm a little over 80,000 on my '99 GS400. Is it near the time to change the timing belt? I've seen do-it-yourself postings, but outside of that and the dealership which I believe will be $$$$, does anybody have a ball park figure on cost? I understand it is suggested to change the water pump at the same time. Also does anybody have a recommendation for a good mechanic in Montgomery County, Maryland or that general area?

Thank you,

Roadrunner

do you have your owner's manual? the service schedule should say what it is... if i recall correctly (mine is in the car... i'm at work), i think it's 6-7 years max if you don't reach the prescribed mileage first, so yes i think you're due.

the water pump, tensioner, and some of the front seals should be done as well while the belt is off. i know a lot of people skip it because of cost, but i decided upon peace of mind instead rather than hoping every day it will hold together.

again, i went to a private mechanic (ex-toyota) to do my belt. i've forgotten the price but it came out to $400 less than what the dealership asked for. it was hard for me to find a private mechanic to do it because of the vvti... if you don't know how to set/reset the cam timing, the engine will eat all it's valves because it's an interference design :o

Thank you,

Roadrunner

do you have your owner's manual? the service schedule should say what it is... if i recall correctly (mine is in the car... i'm at work), i think it's 6-7 years max if you don't reach the prescribed mileage first, so yes i think you're due.

the water pump, tensioner, and some of the front seals should be done as well while the belt is off. i know a lot of people skip it because of cost, but i decided upon peace of mind instead rather than hoping every day it will hold together.

again, i went to a private mechanic (ex-toyota) to do my belt. i've forgotten the price but it came out to $400 less than what the dealership asked for. it was hard for me to find a private mechanic to do it because of the vvti... if you don't know how to set/reset the cam timing, the engine will eat all it's valves because it's an interference design :o