Distorted Windshield

Brand new 07 IS 250 had ripples in the windshield. Service manager agreed, replaced it. Second

one rippled too, but not as badly, but enough to make eyes feel like you'd been wearing another's

reading glasses and make me dizzy. We looked at the cars on the showroom floor and ALL had

ripples too - some across the entire windshield !! Manager saw them too, but told me since (apparently)

I am the ONLY one who has ever had a problem with it, TOO BAD, they won't replace mine. You mean,

ALL Lexus windshield have optical distortions and that's OK with Lexus ?! Even contacted a few auto

glass repair shops who said aftermarket (non-Lexus) aren't even available for 06 or 07's.

Have been told by many to pursue Lemon Law. Any suggestions ? No one else sees ripples in

their windshield ? And, the driver's side mirror is distorted too. Service Dept agreed, and is ordering

a new one, but the manager said "If that one isn't good, you'll have to live with it"

What the --- is up with Lexus ?! This is my first, and likely last Lexus.

Any ideas ?! Thanks

Brand new 07 IS 250 had ripples in the windshield. Service manager agreed, replaced it. Second

one rippled too, but not as badly, but enough to make eyes feel like you'd been wearing another's

reading glasses and make me dizzy. We looked at the cars on the showroom floor and ALL had

ripples too - some across the entire windshield !! Manager saw them too, but told me since (apparently)

I am the ONLY one who has ever had a problem with it, TOO BAD, they won't replace mine. You mean,

ALL Lexus windshield have optical distortions and that's OK with Lexus ?! Even contacted a few auto

glass repair shops who said aftermarket (non-Lexus) aren't even available for 06 or 07's.

Have been told by many to pursue Lemon Law. Any suggestions ? No one else sees ripples in

their windshield ? And, the driver's side mirror is distorted too. Service Dept agreed, and is ordering

a new one, but the manager said "If that one isn't good, you'll have to live with it"

Any ideas ?! Thanks

Haven't had that problem, but I did look into replacing my windshield last month. I was quoted $400, so I know there are aftermarket windshields.........I've not heard of this issue at all!

I dont have a distorted windshield, but I've had my IS 350 for 3 weeks now and I've noticed on some days all my windows, except for the windshield, appear to have spots all over them. I don't have tint, but the best way to describe it is that it looks like the small bubbles when tint goes bad. Anyone else have this problem or anyone know what it is???

I dont have a distorted windshield, but I've had my IS 350 for 3 weeks now and I've noticed on some days all my windows, except for the windshield, appear to have spots all over them. I don't have tint, but the best way to describe it is that it looks like the small bubbles when tint goes bad. Anyone else have this problem or anyone know what it is???

If you wear polarized glasses, the windows will appear to have an ill-defined checkerboard pattern in certain lighting angles. I've noticed this on other vehicles as well. Even sometimes if you don't have polarized lenses, you can see the "checkerboard" in the back window in very low-angle light (saw it last evening while drying the car).

Any ideas ?! Thanks

Despite what others are saying here, you are not alone. Everytime I drive my parents' RX330 I get a little dizzy, then I noticed directly in the center of my line of sight, just below the top tinted area of the front windshield, was an optical distortion about 1 inch high and several inches wide, kind of like a funny circus mirror. Things like stoplights etc, that pass through this section appear to shrink a little. It is very disturbing.

I found this thread by googling, and personally, I don't think it should be limited to the Lexus IS250s/350s. I may be a newbie here at lexusownersclub, but I am active in other vehicle sites, acuramdx.org, acura-tsx and siennaclub.org, which is where you'll find others with issues with Toyota windshields: http://www.siennaclub.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=7135. As we are waiting for the 2007 Sienna's with 261 hp, I am very concerned about Toyota windshields. It is something I will definitely be looking for during the test drive, no use in buying a new car if it makes me nauseous.

I wonder how this problem is getting through and across model lines. It seems like something they would want to catch and correct pretty quickly. Personally I'd never heard of it till it was mentioned here, but it's for sure a real problem.

• 1 year later...

Any ideas ?! Thanks

Despite what others are saying here, you are not alone. Everytime I drive my parents' RX330 I get a little dizzy, then I noticed directly in the center of my line of sight, just below the top tinted area of the front windshield, was an optical distortion about 1 inch high and several inches wide, kind of like a funny circus mirror. Things like stoplights etc, that pass through this section appear to shrink a little. It is very disturbing.

I found this thread by googling, and personally, I don't think it should be limited to the Lexus IS250s/350s. I may be a newbie here at lexusownersclub, but I am active in other vehicle sites, acuramdx.org, acura-tsx and siennaclub.org, which is where you'll find others with issues with Toyota windshields: http://www.siennaclub.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=7135. As we are waiting for the 2007 Sienna's with 261 hp, I am very concerned about Toyota windshields. It is something I will definitely be looking for during the test drive, no use in buying a new car if it makes me nauseous.

I bought a 2008 RX350 in December 2007. I am on the third windshield because of the distortion. I still have it in the current windshield but Lexus is refusing to repair and suggesting I pursue arbitration. I have previously owned an RX 300. It was a perfect car and I did not have one issue. I am really devasted by this. I can't believe that this is acceptable to Lexus or that this is how I am being treated. What have they done to these windshields?

I'm sorry to say -- or maybe not -- that a BMW is looking better and better, in my opinion.......

With all the dashes and windshields popping and cracking, and distorted windshields, and Lexus not doing anything about it, this just seems unreal.......

• 1 month later...

Any ideas ?! Thanks

I bought a 2008 RX350 in December 2007. I am on the third windshield because of the distortion. I still have it in the current windshield but Lexus is refusing to repair and suggesting I pursue arbitration. I have previously owned an RX 300. It was a perfect car and I did not have one issue. I am really devasted by this. I can't believe that this is acceptable to Lexus or that this is how I am being treated. What have they done to these windshields?

I bought a 2008 RX 350 in March 2008 and I am on my second windshield because of distortion. The second one is worse than the first and I am trying to get action on fixing it again. I have never owned a Lexus and I am extremely disappointed by the lack of quality.