certified pre-owned 2003 with brand new tires(Yokohama Goelander

H/S・T P265/65R17).

Is it normal? I understand that I should rotate tires at every oil change

(maybe every 5000 miles) but I wonder if such a difference of tire wearing

between front and rear is really normal for GX470...(in such a short drive

like 2500 miles)

Please someone kindly advise me if I should consult this with a dealer, or

this is just a matter of tire rotation?

I have a 2004 that I bought new with the Bridgestone Dueler HT tires. I have 16,000 miles on it and have had the tires rotated every 5,000 miles. They are holding up very well, with no noticable wear at all..and they are wearing evenly back and front. Your experience is not normal.

• 3 weeks later...

Apart from "Clunk" problem which I still have, I noticed that only

front two tires are wearing more than rear ones. Left and right

are wearing equally but the difference between front and rear are

noticable only at 1.5 months(about 2500 miles) after I purchased

certified pre-owned 2003 with brand new tires(Yokohama Goelander

H/S・T P265/65R17).

Is it normal? I understand that I should rotate tires at every oil change

(maybe every 5000 miles) but I wonder if such a difference of tire wearing

between front and rear is really normal for GX470...(in such a short drive

like 2500 miles)

Please someone kindly advise me if I should consult this with a dealer, or

this is just a matter of tire rotation?

Hello, Yes, you should rotate your tires at least every 5k miles. Also, take it easy when cornering (that goes for any car!). Easy cornering will save you LOTS of rubber down the road!

The previous owner probably didn't do a balance and rotation on a religious basis. Have your alignment checked to see if it's still ok just to be sure. If you plan on getting new tires, I recommend the Michelin Cross Terrains. :D

The previous owner probably didn't do a balance and rotation on a religious basis. Have your alignment checked to see if it's still ok just to be sure. If you plan on getting new tires, I recommend the Michelin Cross Terrains. :D

I'd second that. When I bought my GX, they were coming with three different brands of tires..the Michelins, the Bridgestones, and Dunlops. The Dunlops seemed to be the worst of the three in terms of wear and troubles. I've been happy with the performance of the Bridgestones that mine came with, but the Michelins would be my first choice.

I'd second that. When I bought my GX, they were coming with three different brands of tires..the Michelins, the Bridgestones, and Dunlops. The Dunlops seemed to be the worst of the three in terms of wear and troubles. I've been happy with the performance of the Bridgestones that mine came with, but the Michelins would be my first choice.

The bridgestones aren't too bad. I have the Duelers on my 4Runner and I sooo wanted Cross Terrains on it but the dealers didn't want to exchange tires with different units even though most of them have the optional 17" rims. :chairshot: But I like them because they feel soft, but I'm seeing myself at the tire store at about 30k miles, I'm guessing? My GX has 47k on the Cross Terrains and so far, it doesn't seem to wear off. It's not as thick as a new one, but relatively it's still thick, maybe about 45% left still on it. :D

• 3 months later...

The bridgestones aren't too bad. I have the Duelers on my 4Runner and I sooo wanted Cross Terrains on it but the dealers didn't want to exchange tires with different units even though most of them have the optional 17" rims. :chairshot: But I like them because they feel soft, but I'm seeing myself at the tire store at about 30k miles, I'm guessing? My GX has 47k on the Cross Terrains and so far, it doesn't seem to wear off. It's not as thick as a new one, but relatively it's still thick, maybe about 45% left still on it. :D

I have 70,000 miles on my 2003 GX with Michelin Cross Terrain tires. There appears to be more miles left. I am used to a more agressive tire on all my past SUVs, i.e., BF Goodrich All Terrain which can be aired down for extreme conditions. I am considering Toyo Open Country A/T tires. Other recommendations I have received are Bridgestone Desert Dueler H/T, Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo, Pirelli Scorpian ATR and Yokahoma Geolander A/T - S.

The Michelin are good highway tires, but I have a cabin at Donner Ski Ranch and the last snow storm I came back in my FJ Cruiser with BF Goodrich and the ride seemed much more sure-footed at 40 MPH. The only vehicle I dared not keep up with were two Audis that flew by me. They had to have studded tires.

Any experience with any of these tires on the GX by anyone out there?