94 Gs 300 Starter Removal Help Please!

Not sure if I posted this in the correct forum previously so I'll try one more time. OK, my 1994 GS 300 with 140,000 miles is starting to have problems with the started. You know, the usual turn the key and nothing happens. No sound, no nothing. At first you think hmm that's strange, maybe it was just a 1 time thing. Now it happens about once every few days. So, I'm gonna rebuild the starter. Problem is, I looked and it's way down in the engine. Do I need to take off the intake manifold to get to this damn thing?

Does anyone have step by step instructions on how to get the starter out? Did a search but nothing is very detailed. Anyone have a manual with pics? Before I tackle this, I want to make sure I've got all the tools and parts. I hate taking the car apart, and then getting stuck, and then going "holy s##t, I don't have a ride to work".

And while I'm at it, I assume cleaning the throttle body and replacing the cap,rotor and plugs would be a good idea?

And while I'm at it, I assume cleaning the throttle body and replacing the cap,rotor and plugs would be a good idea?

I would think that would be good preventative maintenance.

Guy,

Thanks for the post! I really appreciate it. The instructions are very helpful. Looking at the manual, I assume this will all be done from underneath the car? And when they say disconnect the fuel hose and fuel tubes, they mean just get it loose from the body so that their will be room to remove/get to the starter, not literally disconnect any hose lines?

Again, thanks for your help. Looks like I will actually be able to do this myself and not pay $200 in labor!

Yes, just loosen the fuel lines. Everything is done from under the car. Don't forget to disconnect the battery BEFORE you start. The cable that you will be removing from the starter is connected directly to the battery. If it were to touch the body with the battery still connected, it's often not pretty.

Yes, just loosen the fuel lines. Everything is done from under the car. Don't forget to disconnect the battery BEFORE you start. The cable that you will be removing from the starter is connected directly to the battery. If it were to touch the body with the battery still connected, it's often not pretty.

Well, the manual was not as straightforward as I thought. Had to undo the transmission mount to get to the damn thing. Kinda tight but was finally able to get the starter out. Really a pain in the !Removed! especially with the car jacked up on ramps and you're lying on your back.

Recommendation: unless you are a contortionist and love having a sore neck the following day, go to a place where there's a lift and have someone do it for you.

• 2 years later...

I know this post is a couple years old, but did you have any success? I'm having a hell of a time getting to that top bolt. Did you use any special wrench?

I would think that would be good preventative maintenance.

Guy,

Thanks for the post! I really appreciate it. The instructions are very helpful. Looking at the manual, I assume this will all be done from underneath the car? And when they say disconnect the fuel hose and fuel tubes, they mean just get it loose from the body so that their will be room to remove/get to the starter, not literally disconnect any hose lines?

Again, thanks for your help. Looks like I will actually be able to do this myself and not pay $200 in labor!

Get a socket and a universal. Attach them to several feet of extensions and approach the bolt from several feet to the rear of the transmission. The longer the extensions you use, the less angle there will be on the universal at the bolt head.

• 7 years later...

PLEASE HELP!!  I know this is an old topic - but I am hoping that someone can advise!  My 1994 Lexus GS300 would not start this morning.  I found this forum and it is helpful, however, I cannot open the starter.pdf, and I cannot find any of the pictures that are spoken of............If someone could please point me in the right direction that would be great!  I was advised by a tow-truck driver that the starter could easily be reached by removing the front drivers' tire?  Is that correct?  My husband has been told he has to remove the cross member underneath......?  Any advice would be highly appreciated!