Tranny Dipstick Mystery

DanW

Here's a puzzler...(to me anyway)

The transmission in a '92 LS400 takes ATF Type T-IV.

On the handle of my dipstick, it says Type T-II.

Maybe this dipstick is from a different car, which is fine, as long as its the same length and I can accurately check fluid levels. Any ideas out there?

Thanks.

Here's a puzzler...(to me anyway)

The transmission in a '92 LS400 takes ATF Type T-IV.

On the handle of my dipstick, it says Type T-II.

Maybe this dipstick is from a different car, which is fine, as long as its the same length and I can accurately check fluid levels. Any ideas out there?

Thanks.

Nevermind. I figured it out from the service manual. Type T-IV at some point replaced T-II, which was depricated.

Ahhhh, the joys of watching a newbie learn the mysterious ways of LS..... Becareful Dan, you might find yourself in a few months with that thing up in the air, your feet under neath of it, and asking yourself "what the hell is that?" The next thing you'll know, is you'll find yourself so comfortable with working on the car yourself, that you'll end up with a signature like mine, and fear of ever owning anything else. I'm serious...you'll waste a lot of time tinkering at the local import dealership one day, looking at that german beauty, or that hot swedish number, and then get back in your decade + old car, and say to yourself "it looks nice, but damn if I want to work on that".

Toyota upgraded the tranny fluid over the years, to the Type VI it is now. You are wise to stick with their fluid for the tranny. And I would advise against doing a "flush", but rather do a drain and fill for the next 5 or 6 oil changes. You can buy a case of the fluid from the toyota dealership for like $20 or $30 bucks. It drains out exactly 2 quarts. So you'll know you're not over filling, or under filling. Eventually, your tranny fluid will be perfect, and will not have put the tranny under the stress of the flush. You'll also like the difference in the smoothness. I also recommend the differential fluid too. The key to these cars, is simply make sure your fluids are good. You'll hit a few parts that need to be replaced, but for the most part, it's all about the fluids. :cheers:

Ahhhh, the joys of watching a newbie learn the mysterious ways of LS..... Becareful Dan, you might find yourself in a few months with that thing up in the air, your feet under neath of it, and asking yourself "what the hell is that?" The next thing you'll know, is you'll find yourself so comfortable with working on the car yourself, that you'll end up with a signature like mine, and fear of ever owning anything else. I'm serious...you'll waste a lot of time tinkering at the local import dealership one day, looking at that german beauty, or that hot swedish number, and then get back in your decade + old car, and say to yourself "it looks nice, but damn if I want to work on that".

Toyota upgraded the tranny fluid over the years, to the Type VI it is now. You are wise to stick with their fluid for the tranny. And I would advise against doing a "flush", but rather do a drain and fill for the next 5 or 6 oil changes. You can buy a case of the fluid from the toyota dealership for like $20 or $30 bucks. It drains out exactly 2 quarts. So you'll know you're not over filling, or under filling. Eventually, your tranny fluid will be perfect, and will not have put the tranny under the stress of the flush. You'll also like the difference in the smoothness. I also recommend the differential fluid too. The key to these cars, is simply make sure your fluids are good. You'll hit a few parts that need to be replaced, but for the most part, it's all about the fluids. :cheers:

I hear ya loud and clear! I spent 3 years in grad school as a research scientist...after which it becomes instinctive to scrutinize and thoroughly research every little incongruity I encounter. We're in the same boat...

I picked up the case of fluid and drained/filled today. The case of 12 cost about $50 at the Toyota dealer (welcome to Denver!) I'll do that incrementally instead of the flush. I can't find anything in the service manual about the flush technique.

Is it all that important to change the filter?

I hear ya loud and clear! I spent 3 years in grad school as a research scientist...after which it becomes instinctive to scrutinize and thoroughly research every little incongruity I encounter. We're in the same boat...

I picked up the case of fluid and drained/filled today. The case of 12 cost about $50 at the Toyota dealer (welcome to Denver!) I'll do that incrementally instead of the flush. I can't find anything in the service manual about the flush technique.

do not make the assumption that if 2 quarts came out, you should be putting 2 quarts back in. use it as a rough estimate, it's better to underfill and add fluid in smaller increments as you approach the correct level as indicated on the dipstick. $50 isnt bad for a case of type T-IV, considering that even generic ATF runs ~$4/quart at local parts stores.

I agree with mobilyte. I needed to replace my transmission pan due to a stripped drain plug, so I left my 91 LS without a pan on ramps in my garage for 2 days while I wait for a new pan to arrive. I was surprised that the tranny fluid continued to drip out the day after I removed the pan. I assumed 2 quarts would empty out but it turns out that more than 4 quarts have drained out. I'll probably add 2 quarts after I get the new pan on, and then do the incremental approach as mobilyte suggested.