How Many Engine Coolant Drain Plugs On Is?

Gebo

I have only found one engine coolant drain plug on my Daughter's IS300. IS there only one?

I know there is a drain plug at bottom of radiator. I was just wanting to know how many are on the engine block itself. My LS400 has two on the engine block. Of course it is a V-8.... it's just so tight on the driver's side of the engine and I can't see a thing.

You should have seen me after I had driven her car up on ramps to change the oil. From the top side, I removed the oil filter and then tried to get the filter out the top. Needless to say, it wouldn't come. I had not removed any of the plastic plates on the bottom. Talk about an oily mess!

Put a plastic bag around the filter. Remove the transmission dipstick. And with some effort you can remove the filter out the top.

For coolant drain and refill, all you need is the radiator drain. You can empty the overflow tank using s siphon or turkey baster.

Put a plastic bag around the filter. Remove the transmission dipstick. And with some effort you can remove the filter out the top.

For coolant drain and refill, all you need is the radiator drain. You can empty the overflow tank using s siphon or turkey baster.

You can remove the oil filter from a '01 IS300 out from the top? So I must pass the transmission dipstick.... <_< Do I go on the front or rear or side or...of the dipstick tube?

Here's one tutorial.

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=27843...=diy+oil+change

Here's another one.

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=26459...=diy+oil+change

The second one has a good idea, to take a new filter and use it to figure out how to get it into and out of the engine compartment, thus learning and not making a mess at the same time. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, this was one of my first lessons in owning an IS. I laid there on the garage floor just imagining those little Jap engineers at Toyota laying in their beds that night dreaming about ways to force people to come to their dealerships for refilling washer fluid too. Their little Japaneese arms can fit through the gap no problem but have no fear, the filter WILL fit through the top too, you just have to angle it a certain way and it will slide between the header and wheel well (without having to turn it upside down). Two oil changes and you'll get it.

Best of luck,

Ken

Yep, this was one of my first lessons in owning an IS. I laid there on the garage floor just imagining those little Jap engineers at Toyota laying in their beds that night dreaming about ways to force people to come to their dealerships for refilling washer fluid too. Their little Japaneese arms can fit through the gap no problem but have no fear, the filter WILL fit through the top too, you just have to angle it a certain way and it will slide between the header and wheel well (without having to turn it upside down). Two oil changes and you'll get it.

Best of luck,

Ken

I found the one drain plug on the engine block. It was "easy" to get to with a 6" extension and a socket.

Getting the oil filter out the top, well, that is proving a little more difficult. I have been practicing with a new filter and have about worn the paint off the edges of it sqeezing and twisting it out the top! Thanks for the encouragment!