Just Sat In An Ls460!

We were out to dinner and I thought on a whim that maybe they'd have an LS460 at Lexus of Rockville. So we swung by, sure enough there sat a beautiful black on black one right there in the showroom!

First let me say, any doubts I had about the car's styling or how expensive the car looks are gone. In person it is a beautiful, and imposing machine. They really did a teriffic job, it is MUCH more appealing than the LS430 in almost every way. Gone is any awkwardness in the cars styling, everything looks perfectly in proportion, its just a beautiful car. Without a doubt the most beautiful car Lexus has ever produced. Everything is done with such perfect precision, from the tight tolerances around the parking sensors, to the tailpipes, to the flawless finish of the paint. I even like the standard 18" wheels which I thought were a little bland in the pictures. They have a depth and an aggressiveness to them that just didnt come across in the photos.

One other thing that I wasn't prepared for is how big the car is, it is HUGE. The long hood really makes it imposing. Whether it is a lot bigger than the old car externally or not, it looks MUCH bigger.

Now, inside. The interior of this car is incredible. The grey looks nice in pictures, but for me its got to be that black. It contrasts so well with the deep red stained wood and the titanium finish of all the buttons and controls. The leather is so soft and supple, high quality triple stitching all the way around, not one cheap feeling material in the whole car. Thank God, the weird grainy dash material on the other new Lexus models is gone! Whats left is a normal, high quality, matte finish vinyl. The seats aren't as big as the previous car, but they're very comfortable. Sitting in the back seat with the drivers seat positioned just how I like it further reinforced my opinion that the "L" model is not at all worth the $15k premium. I had more than enough room to sit back and cross my legs without ever touching the seat in front of me. No need for 6 more inches. The trunk space was adequate, still not great (altough the LS has never had great trunk space). I can only imagine how small it is on the models with the rear seat ventillation.

All in all I must say its one of the most appealing cars I think I've ever seen. The S550 is nice, but to me even if the price point was the same the interior on this car is MUCH more attractive. The model I sat in was $67k and lacked only the ML audio. Even Carla said "Wow, thats not much"! Just a super car, this thing is in my garage in 2008 no ifs ands or buts. Any thoughts I had about an ES350 or an Infiniti M are gone, this is the car.

!!! i want one so bad too. I will definately need to convince the wife to trade in our RX for it! man...i think i will by it in 2008 as well so that all the kinks are gone and so that maybe i can get a gen VII nav to go with it ;)

i agree that in reality, a SWB will be sufficient in everyday life, but i really like those power door closers which are standard on the LWB and not even an option in the SWB. too bad. ive never owned a car with this type of technology and i crave it.

My dad's LS430 has the power door closers and usually you don't even notice they're there, if you close the door at a normal rate they close like any other doors, its just when you close them softly it catches them and pulls them in. No real purpose and your passengers won't even notice because they'll close the doors like any other doors.

The SWB LS460 does have the auto closing trunk which was cool.

When you factor in the fact that this car will cost probably $1200 a month to lease, if that, and an ES350 costs $700 a month? Its not that expensive really.

I drove past Lexus of Santa Monica last night and they have a silver on black LS460L sitting in the front of the showroom. I have to take my car in for service next month so I might sniff around :pirate:

They also had an LS430 sitting outside (maybe the last one?). I was surprised in that although I know the LS460 is longer and wider than the LS430 it seems smaller. The large C pillar is much sleeker (hopefully this will improve rearward visibility) and the car is a little bit lower. I hope it still has the LS430's impressive headroom.

My dad's LS430 has the power door closers and usually you don't even notice they're there, if you close the door at a normal rate they close like any other doors, its just when you close them softly it catches them and pulls them in. No real purpose and your passengers won't even notice because they'll close the doors like any other doors.

Unless I specifically remember to not close the door completely I almost never use these; and unless I tell people not to close the doors they don't use them either---and if I do they look at me like I'm a loon.

The Lexus doors don't require that much effort to close.....unlike the doors on my Mercedes which require a healthy slam. If they could pull the door shut from a semi-open position (like the Maybach or the Rolls) they might be more useful.

Listening anybody in japan?

They also had an LS430 sitting outside (maybe the last one?). I was surprised in that although I know the LS460 is longer and wider than the LS430 it seems smaller. The large C pillar is much sleeker (hopefully this will improve rearward visibility) and the car is a little bit lower. I hope it still has the LS430's impressive headroom.

Did you go see them up close? I saw an LS430 outside right after I saw the 460 and I think the 460 looks way bigger.

The headroom is fine.

We were out to dinner and I thought on a whim that maybe they'd have an LS460 at Lexus of Rockville. So we swung by, sure enough there sat a beautiful black on black one right there in the showroom!

First let me say, any doubts I had about the car's styling or how expensive the car looks are gone. In person it is a beautiful, and imposing machine. They really did a teriffic job, it is MUCH more appealing than the LS430 in almost every way. Gone is any awkwardness in the cars styling, everything looks perfectly in proportion, its just a beautiful car. Without a doubt the most beautiful car Lexus has ever produced. Everything is done with such perfect precision, from the tight tolerances around the parking sensors, to the tailpipes, to the flawless finish of the paint. I even like the standard 18" wheels which I thought were a little bland in the pictures. They have a depth and an aggressiveness to them that just didnt come across in the photos.

One other thing that I wasn't prepared for is how big the car is, it is HUGE. The long hood really makes it imposing. Whether it is a lot bigger than the old car externally or not, it looks MUCH bigger.

Now, inside. The interior of this car is incredible. The grey looks nice in pictures, but for me its got to be that black. It contrasts so well with the deep red stained wood and the titanium finish of all the buttons and controls. The leather is so soft and supple, high quality triple stitching all the way around, not one cheap feeling material in the whole car. Thank God, the weird grainy dash material on the other new Lexus models is gone! Whats left is a normal, high quality, matte finish vinyl. The seats aren't as big as the previous car, but they're very comfortable. Sitting in the back seat with the drivers seat positioned just how I like it further reinforced my opinion that the "L" model is not at all worth the $15k premium. I had more than enough room to sit back and cross my legs without ever touching the seat in front of me. No need for 6 more inches. The trunk space was adequate, still not great (altough the LS has never had great trunk space). I can only imagine how small it is on the models with the rear seat ventillation.

All in all I must say its one of the most appealing cars I think I've ever seen. The S550 is nice, but to me even if the price point was the same the interior on this car is MUCH more attractive. The model I sat in was $67k and lacked only the ML audio. Even Carla said "Wow, thats not much"! Just a super car, this thing is in my garage in 2008 no ifs ands or buts. Any thoughts I had about an ES350 or an Infiniti M are gone, this is the car.

what happened to the i dont care if i dont drive an LS460 as long as i can pay for my kid's college. i believe you wrote that yesterday or the day before. man if this LS460 can make you change your mind that quickly it must be an incredible machine

Its an incredible machine and I want and plan to get one sometime in 2008, but if for some reason the cashflow doesn't work out so that I can have it and fund my investments at the rate I want to then I won't get one.

I don't know why you assume someone can't have the things they want AND invest in their future.

Thats a topic for the other thread though.

Did you go see them up close? I saw an LS430 outside right after I saw the 460 and I think the 460 looks way bigger.

No the dealership was closed, and the LS430 was around back and the 460 was in the front window and i was afraid to set off the alarm (or drool on the glass).

I think it's the styling, it looks less blocky and sleeker; kind of how the W140 benz looks so much bigger than it's successor despite the fact that they are almost the same size.

The headroom is fine.

Good to know. I will put my order in as soon as I find the gold at the end of the rainbow....

Its an incredible machine and I want and plan to get one sometime in 2008, but if for some reason the cashflow doesn't work out so that I can have it and fund my investments at the rate I want to then I won't get one.

I don't know why you assume someone can't have the things they want AND invest in their future.

Thats a topic for the other thread though.

or you can just wait a little longer and buy a used 07, but i think you are a new car guy. i am too but if i really want a car and its still being produced id pounce on a good used one

Drove the LS 460 today. It had the following options so wasn't loaded by any means.

Comfort Package with Additional Options $5,300.00

Comfort Package includes:

- Heated steering wheel

- Climate comfort front seats with heat/cool knob

- Heated rear seats

- Power rear sunshade

- Headlamp washers

Additional Options:

- Lexus voice-activated HDD Navigation System

- Intuitive Parking Assist

- Power door closers and power rear trunk

MSRP was 67 and change and no dealer mark up.

Fit and finish was great. Transmission was smooth. Power seemed OK but was not as quick as expected for 380 HP.

My only concern was wind whistle at 45-50. Didn't have the road to go faster. I thought it might be a cracked window but after runnning them all up and down a couple of times it was still there. Seems to be the mirrors. The salesman could hear it as well. This was with everything off inside so music, radio or conversations would likely drown it out. Still a let down though. It will be interesting to see if anyone else notices this.

I'm not excited about the wheels but there are always options for those including having the dealer chrome them at about 2K.

All in all a great car though.

Pat

Last night our local Lexus dealer held a showing at the country club featuring the new LS- like many here, I had doubts as to how the car would look in person, but I was BLOWN AWAY with the sleekness and attention to detail of the LS460. My favorite was the silver on grey SWB LS- they had a loaded up L with the self-parking feature (which was cool, but took a long time to complete), but the SWB was 67,000 with everything I would want, whereas the L was 85,000. I loved the lights in the interior door handles and the incredibly soft leather on the seats and console, and of course the perfectly laid out HVAC and nav/radio controls. Unfortunately no one was driving them, but that is probably good because it will be a good five years before I can afford one...but Lexus sure knows how to throw great functions!

My only concern was wind whistle at 45-50. Didn't have the road to go faster. I thought it might be a cracked window but after runnning them all up and down a couple of times it was still there. Seems to be the mirrors. The salesman could hear it as well. This was with everything off inside so music, radio or conversations would likely drown it out. Still a let down though. It will be interesting to see if anyone else notices this.

This sounds to me like a small engineering problem, they'll have that sorted out in no time.

They'll take care of it way before the 08 model

The early LS430 had a TSB for a similar symptom. Turned out to be the rearview mirrors; they needed some extra felt or foam; i'm sure they will figure this out. Lexus is very responsive to its customer's requests for noise abatement.

I drove the dealers Demo on Saturday and heard no whistleing noise and I was listening for it. The vehicle was quiet except for the engine which really sounded good.

My only dislike was it took a little more effort getting into and out of compared to my LX470 but that was forgiven on my first hard turn with little to no body lean. Hope mine will be here within a few weeks for my Thanksgiving in Atlanta!

lol im the same way. after driving my RX, i love how i can just slip out onto the floor. getting out of sedans now require effort. having to stand with your own muscles. I just slide down in my car, and im 6'

You should try getting out of my porsche! I am 29 but feel like I am 99 when getting out of that thing :)

lol im the same way. after driving my RX, i love how i can just slip out onto the floor. getting out of sedans now require effort. having to stand with your own muscles. I just slide down in my car, and im 6'

Ah yes, I am having to learn how to get into and out of my car all over after owning my 3rd Lx, BUT after driving and taking a few corners, I remember that low center of gravity is GOOD!

Ah yes, I am having to learn how to get into and out of my car all over after owning my 3rd Lx, BUT after driving and taking a few corners, I remember that low center of gravity is GOOD!

Well you either get to feel like an old man when you get out of it or feel like an old man when you drive it :)

Well you either get to feel like an old man when you get out of it or feel like an old man when you drive it :)

NOTHING makes you feel old while driving the 460, nothing.

A little Zeplin and ELP and it is quite nice!