Speeding In A Lexus

VBdenny

I've noticed that I really speed in my Lexus. Can't help it, the car just cruises. While trying to be good today, I drove only 65MPH on I-64 in Virginia Beach heading toward the oceanfront. Jeeeeze... I didn't pass one single person, and everyone blew right by. After I saw a MB fly by, I couldn't handle it anymore, I flipped the console button to POWER did a quick burst to 90. Whatever that button is under the gas pedal, it works! I must say that the Lexus is really a great car to speed in. If a cop comes around you slow down and look as innocent as possible and let them catch some kid in a red Honda with big fins and a coffee can exhaust. The cops figure you are not going to be racing in a Lexus.

By the way, I use both hands and I don't eat or talk on the cell phone while I'm speeding. I pay attention and use all of my perceptive driving skills. I hate seeing people going 85MPH and talking on the phone.

you are luck man, when i had a chysler i had only one speeding ticket and they were letting me go all the time. now on lexus its like a red material for the bull. i'm gettin pulled over a lot of times. and yeah in a lexus you dont feel speed. i'm trying to keep it down but you just dont feel it. 80-90 is a normal speed for lexus:) and with a 50 mph speed limit here it s a torture...............

Yeah, there is a small black button right under the gas pedal. It's almost like a turbo boost of something. I'm not sure what it does technically, but it really gives you power.

Maybe it's a 90 thing? It pushes in about an inch and clicks. I'll have to look on alldata and see if it's mentioned. Oh yeah, I signed up for that today, that's for the address.

Easily worth $25. It's cool, I've been looking up stuff all day. Kind of a clunky format, but the data is quite well shown. I put a picture of the power button under the gas pedal in the gallary. I'm gonna try to add it here as well. Here goes.My Webpage

Maybe it's a 90 thing? It pushes in about an inch and clicks. I'll have to look on alldata and see if it's mentioned. Oh yeah, I signed up for that today, that's for the address.

That's the "kick down switch" VB. It shifts down your automatic tranny when you smash the pedal all the way to the floor. Or the gear heads call it "WOT". Wide Open Throttle.

• 3 years later...

What that button does is basically downshift the tranny. So if you're in 4th gear, it'll downshift into 3rd. You'll notice this if you're accelerating and you have to press the button, watch the tach and you'll see it jump up, thats cause it's now in a lower gear.

It's a WOT (wide open throttle) button. I'm not sure on the specifics of how it works, but I know for a fact there was one in my '90 and there is one in my '93. I never floored it in the '90, but I'm curious to see how it behaves in my '93 which seems to be much more rev happy.

:cheers: That button that you guys are talking of, I first noticed on an '95 M-B S500 that my grandparents owned. The instructions manual referred to it as being a way to help the driver modulate the transmission downshifts, and potentially saving on gas. The way it operated is that if you pushed the gas pedal almost all the way down, the transmission would downshift no more than one gear. If you pushed the pedal beyond that until it clicked, the transmission would downshift to the lowest gear possible depending on the speed. After driving different types of cars, I've found it on to be popular on European cars, Benzes, Bimmers, and on a Range Rover. The LS is the only Lexus that I've noticed it on, my 01 GS didn't have it, but there are Lexus models I haven't driven so another model may have it as well. Hope this helps

thanks guys, i never know of that lovely secret until now. will give it a try soon :-)

gha_vn

Can you drive faster than 70KMH in VN? I'm just curious...

thanks guys, i never know of that lovely secret until now. will give it a try soon :-)

gha_vn

Can you drive faster than 70KMH in VN? I'm just curious...

in most highways, max speed is now 80kmh, some newly built ones legally allow 100kmh. however, if you dont dare a ticket, road condition allows over 140 in a short burst

Odd, never seen that before, of course I've never examined a first gen closely.

And yes, the Lexuses do really hide the speed, they all do. Gotta be really careful...

The button is call a kick down switch. It is for the trans., dropping it to the next lowest gear, when the peddle is pushed in with the throttle valve already fully open.

button under the gas pedal?

Yeah--the 1990 model had the black plastic button that actually self-generates nitrous oxide by extracting Nitrogen and Oxygen from the air and then compressing and injecting into the engine.

:P

But actually I think it just triggered the ECU to downshift immediately for more prompt passing torque.

Ooops--just read the earlier post where someone else posted this. So consider it Myth Verified!