Just Saw Ls460l -- Wow!

You may be exactly right, but I wonder if the grey wood I've seen is just difficult to photograph without looking black?

Could be either way... I remember something about the hybrid having piano black trim...

I tried Googling that one any way I could; I couldn't find any verifiable reference to piano black wood. Makes sense they might do it on the LS600h, since they're really going "over the top" on that car...

Last night I went to my dealer's premiere launch event. The brochure I got has 3 wood choices:

• Medium Brown walnut
  • Dark Grey Bird's Eye Maple
  • Dark Brown ash burl

The two cars they had there had the medium brown (which looks like most brown stained wood) and the Dark Grey (which looks identical to the grey stained wood they had on the CL/UL cars in '01-03). The Dark Brown on the sample sheet looks so dark as to be almost black, maybe that's what people are thinking for the 'piano black' trim? It comes only with the 'Alabaster' (i.e. white) colored interior leather; I bet it photographs black when put up against it.

All in all though the LS460 is a gorgeous car. The backseat (in the L model) now has real S-class room, and interior styling has some real verve; although nothing seems gimmicky or out of place. The rear doors are so long now but still easy to close. The seats are more supportive yet still very comfortable. Rearward visibility also seems improved from what I could see (the C pillar seems notably narrower). All in all the evolution vs. the LS430 seems to be similar to that of the last S-Class (i.e. more sporty less sherman-tank like). The build quality surpasses even the LS430 and is better than any Mercedes I've yet seen; and the choice of materials and textures is better than the last 7 series I sat in and surpasses the A8. Baby's all grown up!

We couldn't drive the cars but they did to a demo of the automatic parking feature...very cool. Getting into my LS430 to drive home i noticed that the new car preserves most if not all of the LS430's cavernous headroom. The trunk is smaller however...but you can always fedex your luggage to your destination. :)

BTW I asked the factory rep how much for the hybrid, and he wouldn't commit to a number but said he thought between 101-105k.