Just Saw Ls460l -- Wow!

First, I am a pretty picky guy when it comes to details. Though I am in the #1 delivery position at our local dealer, I was prepared to be let down since we currently own a VW Phaeton. Say what you will (to each his own), but the Phaeton has been an amazing car for us. Unfortunately, the dealer is NOT particularly amazing -- at least not in ways that are positive...

Although I've always admired Lexus cars, they always seemed to be lacking a certain mojo. Not enough soul or mechanical communication going on for a lover of German and Italian machinery. However, the current German styling trend is not particularly appealing to me, and I can't even begin to imagine the service problems inherent in Maserati Quattroporte ownership...

So, to reiterate -- I expected to see the new LS460 and pick some nits!

The first car was a LS460/SWB, metallic green with the beige interior. My first reaction when I climbed inside was not a positive one; I just don't like the way most Japanese cars handle beige. The interior on this car was not up to the high standard set by the Phaeton.

Then, the dealer pulled out a LS460L in silver with light gray leather and black birdseye maple trim. I was pretty thrilled when I saw it; something about the extra length in the car seems to balance the design, and it is STUNNING in silver!

I was equally pleased by the interior; the black wood looks very nice (similar to my E55 wagon), the Alcantara headliner is beautiful, and the details inside are spot on. Very easy and intuitive controls, AND everything works very well to boot! The voice command worked flawlessly; we played around and set the climate control and a GPS destination without a hitch. The GPS looks great, works fast, and has excellent graphics and redraw rate. Didn't get to play with the self-parking, but the Mark Levinson sound system was superb on FM (didn't have any CDs or iPod). As an aside, I am really finicky about the quality of most sound systems; you may laugh when I say it sounded great on FM, but most radios distort the frequencies and don't give clear reception in the hills of NorCal. This did NOT sound anything like the typical FM in most cars...

To make it short, we take delivery on Friday! Other than the tiny trunk (you lose SIX cubic feet to the icebox and air filtration systems) I can't find much fault here!

when you say we take delivery friday....do you mean your buying it? if so, your one lucky son of a gun

Yes; we are buying the car and taking delivery either Friday or Saturday. This is going to be my wife's primary car. She'd better hide my set of keys if she wants to help break the new ride in... ;)

Congrats! I think you may be our first 460 owner! We want pictures! I plan to buy one next year probably.

The Phaeton is a beautiful car, and the attention to detail and quality are unheard of at its pricepoint, but you are right VW service is nowhere near what you'll find at Lexus or other luxury marques.

Congrats! I think you may be our first 460 owner! We want pictures! The Phaeton is a beautiful car, and the attention to detail and quality are unheard of at its pricepoint, but you are right VW service is nowhere near what you'll find at Lexus or other luxury marques.

VW promised Phaeton owners "equivalent vehicles" for service loaners. They were supposed to keep a Phaeton in inventory for this purpose. That became watered down to "either a Phaeton or Touareg" for a loaner. I have had to battle the VW dealer each and every time I visit to get a loaner at all, much less one I can fit in (I'm 6'7"). I have never gotten a Phaeton or Touareg loaner; the best I've ever rec'd was an Audi Allroad. I will NEVER buy another VW or Audi product because of this dealer and VWs attitude towards their customers.

The Germans had better look out, as Lexus it taking their game to a higher level. BMW and Mercedes had better be careful, as I think the new LS will dominate the segment...

The LS has dominated its segment for a LONG time ;) Lexus has been the #1 selling luxury marque in the US for what, 5 years now?

You'll be very happy with it. My dad had a 98 LS for 160k miles and has an 04 LS now, no problems from either and he's said he'll never drive anything but a Lexus LS. It really is one of the finest cars on the road.

they are selling them already? i thought they didnt come in until the 20th. i guess it helps when you work there (from your story i assumed you working for lexus?)
The actual "release" date is Friday, October 20th. All dealers should have received inventory by now, but they will incur the wrath of Lexus if they sell before the official release date. And, no -- I don't work for Lexus -- although I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Good point about Lexus dominating the segment with regard to sales numbers; I guess I meant a change where the LS460 may become the car people want the most in the segment. I may be biased, but I've always assumed the German cars still held that distinction. Until now...

Good point about Lexus dominating the segment with regard to sales numbers; I guess I meant a change where the LS460 may become the car people want the most in the segment. I may be biased, but I've always assumed the German cars still held that distinction. Until now...

It depends on who you talk to. For me, the LS is the car in that segment I'd want the most, for others its always going to be the Benzes and BMWs of the world.

Good luck Friday, post pictures! I agree with you about the tan, Lexus tan interiors have never done anything for me. The black is beautiful however, and the new grey with grey wood looks amazing. What exterior color are you getting?

It depends on who you talk to. For me, the LS is the car in that segment I'd want the most, for others its always going to be the Benzes and BMWs of the world. Good luck Friday, post pictures! I agree with you about the tan, Lexus tan interiors have never done anything for me. The black is beautiful however, and the new grey with grey wood looks amazing. What exterior color are you getting?

Silver exterior, light grey interior, with the black wood trim. This combination looks fantastic in the "L" version; something about the extra length makes it look more balanced...

In the past I've always felt (and everyone's entitled to their own opinion on this one) that the German cars were more "desireable", but I was tempted by the quality and reliability of the Lexus, as well as their top-notch customer service. Now, I think the '07 LS is every bit as "desireable" as the Germans, if not more so. I just can't wait to drive the thing to see if it delivers on those good looks...

One thing that blew me away is how simple and classy the interior is. Though the car has every gadget in the world -- and then some -- it is perfectly intuitive to use. This proves the argument of the German engineers --that you HAVE to have a menu-based system to reduce the "button count" -- is just another example of why it takes 100 German engineers to change a light bulb...

(one to actually hold the bulb, 99 to devise a way to rotate the building)

i have a question, ive seen some pictures of the LS with the actual all black wood, like i think benz calls it the piano black wood.

ive only seen 3 types of wood in the brochure so far online, and the closest is the grey brids eye maple. any ideas?

Silver exterior, light grey interior, with the black wood trim. This combination looks fantastic in the "L" version; something about the extra length makes it look more balanced...

Very nice! I'm a silver fan myself (have a dark colored car now, never again). I do have to say though that new Verdigris metallic looks nice.

i have a question, ive seen some pictures of the LS with the actual all black wood, like i think benz calls it the piano black wood.

ive only seen 3 types of wood in the brochure so far online, and the closest is the grey brids eye maple. any ideas?

The grey birds eye maple is the "black wood". Its not as dark as the Benz piano black trim.

ive seen some pictures of the LS with the actual all black wood, like i think benz calls it the piano black wood. ive only seen 3 types of wood in the brochure so far online, and the closest is the grey brids eye maple. any ideas?

The Lexus wood is dark grey to charcoal grey, and it looks great because you can see all the burl and figuring in the wood grain. I have slightly darker wood in my E55 -- which fits it's sporting nature better, IMHO -- and the wood in the LS460 gives a great sense of class while blending in nicely with the colors in the light grey interior...

but what im saying is i saw the black piano wood in a new LS somewhere in some picture. i think it might be in the hybrid...

You may be exactly right, but I wonder if the grey wood I've seen is just difficult to photograph without looking black?

You may be exactly right, but I wonder if the grey wood I've seen is just difficult to photograph without looking black?

Could be either way...

I remember something about the hybrid having piano black trim...

Could be either way... I remember something about the hybrid having piano black trim...

I tried Googling that one any way I could; I couldn't find any verifiable reference to piano black wood. Makes sense they might do it on the LS600h, since they're really going "over the top" on that car...

I have the grey birds eye in my 02 and find it calming to the eye. Went to a Toyota Dealer for some touch up paint and the saleman called over others to see it. They were wondering if Toyota had the option on the Avalon...everyone that sits in mine is so pleasantly surprised at the color and high tech look over the bright wood contrast..blends perfectly with the dash..maybe I am prejudiced..lol..I for one think it is a classy signature. I always notice a Lexus coming in the opposite direction and the first thing I see is the wood steering wheel. Not bad, but I like to be a bit different. It also matches my salt and pepper hair..lol. All tough decisions and all fun in the end. Love my 02 and look forward to an 07 in two years ...as I always wait and am always satisfied with my value of purchase...FourSixOh... I am jealous too..Best of Luck..

Well I made the mistake of going into the showroom while waiting for my LX470 to be brought up after service and all of the cars in the large show room had been removed except one. In the center of the floor sat a new LS460. Fell in love and put a deposit on the next Mercury Metallic unit due in a week.

I am in my 3rd LX and it is time for a change. This will REALLY be a change!