Air Suspension

rusty_nail

I have a 92 LS400 which I have owned for 11 years. It is a great car. Recently I replaced the right rear air strut with a remanufactured arnott strut. This seemed to have solved my problem of the entire rear not raising up. But recently the entire rear will randomly drop over an hour period. It will be OK for a few days or a week, then after driving it, the rear will lower when parked. Have tried to soap bubble test for leaks, but found nothing. What is so frustrating, it leaks down on a random basis. I assume if I had a hose or strut leak it would be somewhat consistent. The front struts have no problem.

Thanks in advance for your help

Exact same issue recently with 90 LS. Car suddenly dropped about 9 months ago. Toyota replaced passenger rear air strut w/ factory. OK for a few months. Car started to drop after sitting.

I figured out how to reset the computer and get the car to raise up. The computer is above 6 disk changer on the passenger side of the trunk. Pull out the largest wiring harness and reinsert. Resets the computer and the car should raise.

Recently the driver rear strut became shot. I could hear it hissing. I used a hose to find the leak - under the strut mud boot - strut shot. I repaced the strut with an arnot rebuilt.

Now the car won't raise. The shop tells me that the compressor is only pushing 20 lbs when it should push 140 lbs.

Lexus wants $1500 for a compressor. Aftermarket compressors have recently become unavailable due to quality issues (I bought 2 this week just to have the vendor email and refund).

My next move is to find a used compressor. I have an offer of $275.

If I know then what I know now, I would have put in conversion struts.

Chip L

I have a 92 LS400 which I have owned for 11 years. It is a great car. Recently I replaced the right rear air strut with a remanufactured arnott strut. This seemed to have solved my problem of the entire rear not raising up. But recently the entire rear will randomly drop over an hour period. It will be OK for a few days or a week, then after driving it, the rear will lower when parked. Have tried to soap bubble test for leaks, but found nothing. What is so frustrating, it leaks down on a random basis. I assume if I had a hose or strut leak it would be somewhat consistent. The front struts have no problem.

• 3 months later...

Good news, I got it fixed. I discovered that the suspension would stay up as long as it was in the high position., so I left it there all the time. After 6 weeks of no problems, the left rear started to randomly lower. I replaced the left rear air strut with another arnott strut. Have had the height in the normal position for a month now with out any problems.

Exact same issue recently with 90 LS. Car suddenly dropped about 9 months ago. Toyota replaced passenger rear air strut w/ factory. OK for a few months. Car started to drop after sitting.

I figured out how to reset the computer and get the car to raise up. The computer is above 6 disk changer on the passenger side of the trunk. Pull out the largest wiring harness and reinsert. Resets the computer and the car should raise.

Recently the driver rear strut became shot. I could hear it hissing. I used a hose to find the leak - under the strut mud boot - strut shot. I repaced the strut with an arnot rebuilt.

Now the car won't raise. The shop tells me that the compressor is only pushing 20 lbs when it should push 140 lbs.

Lexus wants $1500 for a compressor. Aftermarket compressors have recently become unavailable due to quality issues (I bought 2 this week just to have the vendor email and refund).

Chip L

Good news, I got it fixed. I discovered that the suspension would stay up as long as it was in the high position., so I left it there all the time. After 6 weeks of no problems, the left rear started to randomly lower. I replaced the left rear air strut with another arnott strut. Have had the height in the normal position for a month now with out any problems.

Chip L