Lx470 Suspension

kennethwong

Just bought a 2000 Lexus LX 470. But it doesn't go with a onwer's manual. Need some help on the following:

1. Why after setting the suspension to 'L' or 'H', it will automatically go back to the 'N' mode when the car moves for a few seconds. How can I stay with the selected mode?

2. When to press the button with the 'four wheels and a cross' symbol? What's the function?

3. When to use H, N and L gear out of the small gear stick?

Thank s for the great help!

ken

• 2 months later...

Hope you found your info and a manual by now. If not, if you register your vehicle on the Lexus web site you will have access to download the owners manual.

When you start moving, the AHC will automatically move to N from either L or H.

The 4 wheel cross symbol is your Center Differential Lock (CDL) and should only be used off pavement or in slippery conditions. It is for getting out of a stuck condition. On dry pavement it will be very hard to steer without buckling effects being felt in your suspension. It is also used in some off roading conditions to lock all 4 wheels. With the 2000 model you will rarely need the CDL engaged, even off road, because you have TRAC.

The small gear shift is your 4WD High/Low selector. To change you stop, put trans in N and the selector in N, then move to either H or L. Once engaged, then you can put your trans in gear and move on out.

1) Vehicle will change from L to N at around 9mph. If you're in H, it will revert to N above a certain speed depending on if your transfer case is in H or L.

3) Put the transfer case (the little stick) in L if offroad and it's steep/slippery. If it's steep and you think you can do it in high (vehicle in 1st gear), you can probably do it, but the transmission fluid will get a lot hotter than if you put the transfer case in L. Reason is, in L, the transmission will be in a higher gear locked up while it always has slippage in 1st gear. Most people who drive SUV's have no clue on what it's for and stay in high the entire time, burning up the tranny on a long, slow climb.

Your vehicle may have enough miles on it now to be nearing the end of life of the suspension accumulators

If your Lexus LX-470 is now doing the 'bouncy-bouncy' and riding like it ain't got any give to the suspension--you got flat accumulators!

You gotta be sitting down when you hear what the Dealer wants to fix it. :cries:

I can now offer NEW replacement accumulators for $350 each. :cheers:

I had a quality manufacturer make them to my specifications( improved over OEM.) Simple to install in your driveway (1 hr/all 4)--and they can be recharged when eventually needed for $100 each.

I can also take your old ones and modify and recharge them for $175 each. If they are leaking and won't hold the charge, either my new ones :D or the Stealers. :pirate:

'TexasOil'

Kebowers47@gmail.com

B and B Suspension

832-651-7576

• 5 weeks later...

Hey the good news is if you go to the main lexus page and register your LX470 there is an option to get a copy by mail of the owners manual for your car. For some reason it states that for safty and so on that the car can be raised up the 2 inches when going 25- mph. the same applies for the lowering of the car. The function of both is to raise is then to be able to forge through water up to 22 inches or to lower for ease of getting into the car. Hope this helps, the car is so refined and designed a certain way that I am shure they had thier reasonings for why this is the case. ^_^

Oh and I forgot to mention the car is All Wheel Drive all the time and unless your forging the top of the most rugged trails. there will be no need to take it out of high. If its in N the car will not recive power to any wheels. Hope this helps ~ :)

Oh and I forgot to mention the car is All Wheel Drive all the time and unless your forging the top of the most rugged trails. there will be no need to take it out of high. If its in N the car will not recive power to any wheels. Hope this helps ~ :)

If you are on a long, steep climb offroad, I would recommend using the low transfer case setting (the small shifter). Reason is, the transmission will be in a higher gear (like 3rd) instead of 1st, so the torque converter will have less slippage (and more lockup), meaning less transmission heating and less wasted energy. While you can get away with it on the LX since it's so overbuilt and over-designed, doing the same on a domestic where the design tolerances are much smaller will often lead to transmission over-heating.