My Report On The In-line Water Softener For My Car Washing Needs

A few weeks ago, I purchased an in-line water softener for use in washing my IS. We have really hard water in my area, and I've had some instances of spotting (especially the time when I took too long using the blower). I also had difficulty getting and keeping good suds, despite using a very good car soap.

So, I hit on the idea of searching the web for a small water softener that would work for washing the car. Clearly I'm not the first person to think of this, because before long, I found such a filter that was specifically designed for use with garden hoses. I don't know what genius decided that garden hose thread needed to be different than coarse pipe thread, but it is. Anyway, this is what I got via the mail...

http://www.pwgazette.com/gardenhosefilters.htm

http://www.pwgazette.com/softeningcartridge.htm

Does it work? Yes, it does. Its darn easy to install, and it worked pretty well. The difference was instant, and very obvious. The suds in my wash bucket were almost out of control (a welcomed change, and an indication of just how much concentrate I was having to use before). Even the wheel cleaner was sudsing up, which I didn't know it was supposed to do. When it came to drying, the car dried pretty much like it always did, except this time, no spots.

Is it worth the $50? For me it was (alleviating the frustraation of water spots no matter how careful I was is worth more that that). I don't know how long the cartridge will last before needing a re-charge, but it seems easy enough, and cheap to boot.

This may not be for everyone, especially if you have good water. It isn't a panecea, and won't make your car dry itself like that Mr.Clean thing is supposed to, but if you've got hard water, it might be worth looking in to.

Disclaimer - I'm not affiliated with the people what made this product. There may be better and/or cheaper products out there, I'm just relating my personal experience with this one.

This looks perfect. How strong is the flow out of the hose when its connected to the filter?

About equal to the flow without the filter. I didn't notice a pressure decline at all (which means if there is one, it was pretty slight).

filters look very pricy and so does the unit. You could buy the hsg for $13 and buy the parts for like $3..Save some $$$$

Filters (sed and carbon) are 50 to 75% cheaper online.

Yeah, the housing was probably a bit over priced, but this the water softening cartidge is the only one I was realling interested in ($16), and I wanted to make sure they were compatible. The sediment and carbon is pretty much overkill for this purpose.

The only other one I found with any ease was at Autogeek.com, but it looks like it's from the same manufacturer, and it cost more.

http://www.autogeek.net/clinhofi.html

Considering the hundreds (and hundreds more) I've spent on various other detailing items over the years, this one seemed like a reasonable investment.

$55 is expensive? I've shopped all over the place for inline filters and if you know of somewhere that sells a similar unit for less, tell me.

I think $55 for $16 for parts (1-hsg and 2-fittings) is expensive. So yes it is high. I think it is nuts but that is me.

It is like my RO membrane for my reef tank. They are $90 in most places. People think $60 is a great price. Too bad you can get the same membrane (Filmtec 75 GPD Membrane) for$38 if you look.

Then again I make 5 gallons of reef water a day and 4 gallons more (1-hour) for a ONR car wash is nothing.

But where can we get something cheaper?

Fittings are at HD for like $1.50 each.

Hsg:

http://www.reefgeek.com/products/categorie...ers/102935.html (for clear: 13.95)

http://www.reefgeek.com/products/categorie...ers/102934.html (for white: 11.95)

Filters:

www.purelyh2o.com

www.thefilterguys.biz

www.spectrapure.com

www.buckeyefieldsupply.com

www.airwaterice.com

Just trying to "maximize your funds" ")

Why not go with a whole house filter... this one is only $33.73

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...&lpage=none

I have a similar unit but I also have a ecowater treatment system...works great!

http://www.ecowater.com/residential/default.asp?page=1_1_3

Eh for me its just easier to buy the unit already assembled, even if it costs me $15 more or so. Driving around and buying fittings is just a PITA.

Can't begrudge a company for selling a unit already assembled for a small profit.

Why not go with a whole house filter... this one is only $33.73

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...&lpage=none

You wouldn't get the same effect since the water will pick up particulates that will spot the car within the home's pipes.

Eh for me its just easier to buy the unit already assembled, even if it costs me $15 more or so. Driving around and buying fittings is just a PITA.

Can't begrudge a company for selling a unit already assembled for a small profit.

True. We got a new HD 5 miles from my house. Too bad I needed it 6 years ago when I was remodeling.....only me.

But true. already complete is the way to go if you do not have time, HD around or just do not want to do it.

You wouldn't get the same effect since the water will pick up particulates that will spot the car within the home's pipes.

SW-

I do not notice any spotting on my car...and I am pretty sure that you will not pick much in your homes pipes...the sediment filter will pick up most of it before it gets in your home...I understand what you are saying...but I do not think you could tell the difference...in washing your car? I could be wrong...

True. We got a new HD 5 miles from my house. Too bad I needed it 6 years ago when I was remodeling.....only me.

LOL, thats always the way isn't it?

I do not notice any spotting on my car...and I am pretty sure that you will not pick much in your homes pipes...the sediment filter will pick up most of it before it gets in your home...I understand what you are saying...but I do not think you could tell the difference...in washing your car? I could be wrong...

Yeah but you have an ecowater treatment system, the small $35 filter isn't going to make that much difference in the quality of the water for the whole house.

For the purposes of washing your car, this in hose line filter is probably the most cost effective solution.

Yeah but you have an ecowater treatment system, the small $35 filter isn't going to make that much difference in the quality of the water for the whole house.

For the purposes of washing your car, this in hose line filter is probably the most cost effective solution.

But...my ecowater system is not hooked up to any of my outside faucets or irrigation system only the whole house sediment filter is...I have it set up so before any water goes to the eco system it is pre filtered...but if all you are concerned with is washing the car than that is fine...but for the same amount of money or even less you can filter all of the water for your whole house...and no it will not make that much difference but it keeps the sediment out of your pipes...and your water...the key is the filter cartridge that you put in it anyway...

After you see how much stuff is picked up with the filter you may want to get a whole house filter anyway!

:lol: :D

But...my ecowater system is not hooked up to any of my outside faucets or irrigation system only the whole house sediment filter is...I have it set up so before any water goes to the eco system it is pre filtered...but if all you are concerned with is washing the car than that is fine...but for the same amount of money or even less you can filter all of the water for your whole house...and no it will not make that much difference but it keeps the sediment out of your pipes...and your water...the key is the filter cartridge that you put in it anyway...

After you see how much stuff is picked up with the filter you may want to get a whole house filter anyway!

:lol: :D

Well, for my purposes, this isn't a filter system, but a water softener. The whole house filter may be great for particulate matter, but it's not going to pull out the ionized calcium and magnesium like a water softerner will. For hard water, you need to replace the calcium and magnesium ions with sodium ions (which won't precipitate). For that you need the water softerner filter with the little beads. The beads get charged with sodium ions, and then exchange them for the Mg and Ca ions as the water passes through. Over time, the beads end up with all only Mg and Ca and need to be recharged. Recharging is easy - just soak the filter in salt water. The life of the little water softer filter is only about 90 gallons between recharges, so for a whole house, you'd be looking at a life cycle of only a few busy hours.

Why not get a whole house water softener? Well, we have one, but it's piped to only supply the inside of the house (why spend $$ on softening water for irrigation?)

Sleepy-

You read my post wrong I think...

I do not use the ecowater treatment to filter my outside water either...but I do use the sediment filter...for them...not a big deal if it works for you cool...

[quote name='LEXIRX330'

Why not get a whole house water softener? Well, we have one, but it's piped to only supply the inside of the house (why spend $$ on softening water for irrigation?)

Maybe your lawn wants some "soft water" too! LOL

Try some Chelated Iron on the lawn .....stuff is great! Green for months.

[quote name='LEXIRX330'

Maybe your lawn wants some "soft water" too! LOL

Try some Chelated Iron on the lawn .....stuff is great! Green for months.

Mburn...going to have to look for that...where did you get it? I have used Miracle grow weed and feed in the spring...and I just Limed and re seeded...people across the street have :censored: me off...they just laid sod...man it looks good!!!

Mburn...going to have to look for that...where did you get it? I have used Miracle grow weed and feed in the spring...and I just Limed and re seeded...people across the street have :censored: me off...they just laid sod...man it looks good!!!

Lesco has it. I got 5 gallons of it (cheap: about $65). You can make your grass so darn green (almost black). I use over the max per qt/ft. I use about 12 oz per 1,000 feet. Green up in about 1 week.

If you want instant green use Green lawnger. That is what golf places use (and sport events). :)

Oh, if you re-seed and have major weed problems try Drive 75 DF. I might be restricted in your state (so check). 1 lb is a about $130 but works great for re-seeding or overseeding.

For Weed/Feed by far best granular is Momentum FX2. Works great for 99% of the weeds. Gets rid of clover too! If you like to spray (like me) try Momentum (post), Confront (post), Dimension (pre/post killer for weeds and POA), Pre-M (pre), Gallery (pre) etc. I like lawn stuff just as much as car stuff. Wife thinks I lost my peanut with the lawn stuff. The spray is more $$$ but lasts longer. I made my lawn for crap to the best one around.

Lesco has it. I got 5 gallons of it (cheap: about $65). You can make your grass so darn green (almost black). I use over the max per qt/ft. I use about 12 oz per 1,000 feet. Green up in about 1 week.

If you want instant green use Green lawnger. That is what golf places use (and sport events). :)

Oh, if you re-seed and have major weed problems try Drive 75 DF. I might be restricted in your state (so check). 1 lb is a about $130 but works great for re-seeding or overseeding.

For Weed/Feed by far best granular is Momentum FX2. Works great for 99% of the weeds. Gets rid of clover too! If you like to spray (like me) try Momentum (post), Confront (post), Dimension (pre/post killer for weeds and POA), Pre-M (pre), Gallery (pre) etc. I like lawn stuff just as much as car stuff. Wife thinks I lost my peanut with the lawn stuff. The spray is more $$$ but lasts longer. I made my lawn for crap to the best one around.

Mburn-

Are you a lawn guy? :huh:

J/k thanks for all of the info!

No lawn guy but I like doing it. Everyone thinks I should do it on the side. Problem is no time and the stuff is not cheap. I do inground sprinkler too.

Here are some before and after pix.

june27008zv2.jpg

Looks ok but it needs iron..(back in spring)

june27006xn0.jpg

Just done cutting

afterpooljp9.jpg

Before

june27009jn6.jpg

Two years later.

If anything use Dimension. Price is a little much (2.5 gallons: $390 but) it is great for weeds and has some post emg in it.

To find out that you can and cannot buy; http://npic.orst.edu/state1.htm

If it is restricted it will have a Yes by it.

No lawn guy but I like doing it. Everyone thinks I should do it on the side. Problem is no time and the stuff is not cheap. I do inground sprinkler too.

Here are some before and after pix.

june27008zv2.jpg

Looks ok but it needs iron..(back in spring)

june27006xn0.jpg

Just done cutting

afterpooljp9.jpg

Before

june27009jn6.jpg

Two years later.

If anything use Dimension. Price is a little much (2.5 gallons: $390 but) it is great for weeds and has some post emg in it.

To find out that you can and cannot buy; http://npic.orst.edu/state1.htm

If it is restricted it will have a Yes by it.

Is that a KUBOATO? spelling? If so that is one H E LL of a grasscutter...you must use that for other things to...

my grandfather is a retired farmer and my 2nd father in law is a farmer (wife's step dad) So I can get the Lawn stuff through them...I will check into that

by the way the lawn looks great... I will post some pics of mine...I have only been at this house for about a year...got the front yard pretty good...back yard is err ;) well ok but I have about an acre here so I am more worried with keeping the front looking good! Nice waves in the lawn too!