Broken Mirror - Really Bad Luck

I recently had the misfortune to catch my passenger side mirror while backing out of my rather narrow garage door and break the glass. That it cost nearly $600 to replace was bad enough, but the real problem was that the mirror contains some kind of oily green fluid that splattered all over the side of the car when the glass broke. I assume it is somehow related to either the fact that the mirror has electronic dimming or that it is heated.

Either way, the fluid is apparently highly corrosive to paintwork and has eaten right through the clear coat on both doors, the front fender, the roof and the rear of the car - i.e. about half the vehicle. I now have a nearly-new RX400h that looks as if it's been splashed all over with paint stripper. The dealership that repaired the mirror did everything they could to try an minimize the damage, but the car still looks horrible.

The only solution seems to be a complete repaint of half the vehicle, and it's not clear whether Lexus or the dealership will pay for it.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this and if so how it was resolved - as far as I'm concerned it's a serious design defect if breaking a mirror destroys your car!

Wow, my wife broke hers and I noticed the same "spots" in the paint. I did not know what it was. I had had the special teflon protection put on so I don't think the damage is anywhere near yours...it actually is difficult to see except I am OCD. I'm still waiting to get it looked at.

I recently had the misfortune to catch my passenger side mirror while backing out of my rather narrow garage door and break the glass. That it cost nearly $600 to replace was bad enough, but the real problem was that the mirror contains some kind of oily green fluid that splattered all over the side of the car when the glass broke. I assume it is somehow related to either the fact that the mirror has electronic dimming or that it is heated.

Either way, the fluid is apparently highly corrosive to paintwork and has eaten right through the clear coat on both doors, the front fender, the roof and the rear of the car - i.e. about half the vehicle. I now have a nearly-new RX400h that looks as if it's been splashed all over with paint stripper. The dealership that repaired the mirror did everything they could to try an minimize the damage, but the car still looks horrible.

The only solution seems to be a complete repaint of half the vehicle, and it's not clear whether Lexus or the dealership will pay for it.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this and if so how it was resolved - as far as I'm concerned it's a serious design defect if breaking a mirror destroys your car!

How did it get on both doors ?

• Like 1

I've heard similar stories. Can you post some pictures of the staining? I might have some ideas.

The first thing to do is figure out what the body shop already did.

I had had the special teflon protection put on so I don't think the damage is anywhere near yours

The "teflon protection" is a scam, it won't protect the paint any more than any polymer sealant product would against something like this, which is not much.

The "teflon protection" is a scam, it won't protect the paint any more than any polymer sealant product would against something like this, which is not much.

This may be true, but the transferable warrentee, which would cover an event such as this, is nothing to sneeze at.

This may be true, but the transferable warrentee, which would cover an event such as this, is nothing to sneeze at.

Correct. They will take care of the problem 100%. I got it for my wife's car as I do not have time to keep-up/detail another car. I spend my detailing time on my P-car!

Try and put a claim in to it, there are WAY too many ways they can deny it. Its totally worthless, trust me.

Read the warranty they gave you, there are at least 20 ways they can get out of paying a claim and they will.

It also doesn't remove you from the need to protect the finish, it won't last more than 3 months anyways so you'll still need to wax, and if you can't prove you put the booster product on however often they tell you too, thats one of the 20 ways they can get out of paying a claim. On top of the fact that anything that results from a collision they don't cover (which means this mirror issue), its just a total ripoff. When you look at what this *BLEEP* costs, it should be a crime.

I used to detail professionally, I know a lot of people who have tried to put claims in for paint work because they had that junk, and I don't know of ONE time anybody had a claim processed. Not one time.

Try and put a claim in to it, there are WAY too many ways they can deny it. Its totally worthless, trust me.

Read the warranty they gave you, there are at least 20 ways they can get out of paying a claim and they will.

It also doesn't remove you from the need to protect the finish, it won't last more than 3 months anyways so you'll still need to wax, and if you can't prove you put the booster product on however often they tell you too, thats one of the 20 ways they can get out of paying a claim. On top of the fact that anything that results from a collision they don't cover (which means this mirror issue), its just a total ripoff. When you look at what this *BLEEP* costs, it should be a crime.

I used to detail professionally, I know a lot of people who have tried to put claims in for paint work because they had that junk, and I don't know of ONE time anybody had a claim processed. Not one time.

Oh so you have the teflon as well? I actually have had no problem with them denying my claim. Just have not had time to get the work done.

Oh so you have the teflon as well? I actually have had no problem with them denying my claim. Just have not had time to get the work done.

Not on this car, but the Explorer I had previously had it because I wasn't the only decisionmaker involved in that purchase. I used to detail professionally like I said before, and I have detailed probably 50-60 cars with this "protection" "installed". Its nothing but bulk polymer sealant, total cost of materials to do a car is probably $1.

The biggest evidence that its a scam is that it advertises "teflon". Teflon is a nonstick coating developed by DuPont. Go to DuPont's website and contact them, ask them what is neccissary for Teflon to bond to a surface and offer any protection at all. They simply license the name "Teflon", its Snake Oil.

They paid your claim? Do you have money in your hand yet? What were the circumstances? I thought you were still waiting to get it looked at.

If its true congratulations, you're the first case I've heard of in over a dozen attempts to file claims for those products.

Use some business sense, why would they offer a lifetime paint warranty for a product that offers no more protection than standard car wax without legal ways out of paying expensive claims?

For everybody else, trust me its not worth your money. Take the money and pay a professional detailer to take care of the car. Seriously, the money it costs would pay a detailer to take care of the vehicle weekly for years.

As for the original poster, I bet you can remove the staining with a chemically abrasive polish like Klasse AIO.

Not on this car, but the Explorer I had previously had it because I wasn't the only decisionmaker involved in that purchase. I used to detail professionally like I said before, and I have detailed probably 50-60 cars with this "protection" "installed". Its nothing but bulk polymer sealant, total cost of materials to do a car is probably $1.

So I spent $350 for this application...that is not too far off an initial full detail and there is no warranty for a detail. I just have too many cars to detail each myself (also own my own business). BTW what sealant do you use?

The biggest evidence that its a scam is that it advertises "teflon". Teflon is a nonstick coating developed by DuPont. Go to DuPont's website and contact them, ask them what is neccissary for Teflon to bond to a surface and offer any protection at all. They simply license the name "Teflon", its Snake Oil.

I realize that there is no way they could get real teflon to bond to the car paint...need really high temps for this. I agreee it is a marketing ploy.

They paid your claim? Do you have money in your hand yet? What were the circumstances? I thought you were still waiting to get it looked at.

As I said I have not had problems yet...IOW I have not had them deny it.

If its true congratulations, you're the first case I've heard of in over a dozen attempts to file claims for those products.

I did not realize that you are the definitive person to keep track of these statistics...forgive me. I guess the BBB is aware of these false claims since they are so prevalent?

Use some business sense, why would they offer a lifetime paint warranty for a product that offers no more protection than standard car wax without legal ways out of paying expensive claims?

How stupid of me...I guess I have no business sense.

For everybody else, trust me its not worth your money. Take the money and pay a professional detailer to take care of the car. Seriously, the money it costs would pay a detailer to take care of the vehicle weekly for years.

How much do you pay a detailer? I have been detailing one of my own cars for a couple of years (see my sig). I have yet to find a detailer that comes close to my own work (I use Zaino BTW). There is no way I could get a detailer to do the job I want for as you say "weekly for several years" for the money I spent on the Teflon hose job.

As for the original poster, I bet you can remove the staining with a chemically abrasive polish like Klasse AIO.

Agreed, there may be some paint cleansers that would help...P21S and Zaino both make one....worth a try. I do like Klasse as wwell! I understand your opinion and actually agree that is probably an overpriced sealant job, but the warranty is interesting. I will let you know if I get screwed.

Cheers!

So I spent $350 for this application...that is not too far off an initial full detail and there is no warranty for a detail. I just have too many cars to detail each myself (also own my own business). BTW what sealant do you use?

$350 isn't bad, some dealers charge $1200 for this crap. The point you're missing is that to ensure the paint is properly protected from staining, oxidation, and fading you STILL have to have the car detailed just as if you did not have this stuff installed. Having it done changes nothing.

No problem with not doing it yourself, I love doing it but soon I may not have the time either. You should however pay a professional to do a thorough interior and exterior detail every 6 months.

As to what I use, I don't use sealants on the Lexus, I use only carnuaba. On the Prius I use Poorboys EX-P but may switch to Zaino.

As I said I have not had problems yet...IOW I have not had them deny it.

Thats like me saying my medical insurance is amazing because they've never denied a claim when I've never filed one, makes no sense.

I did not realize that you are the definitive person to keep track of these statistics...forgive me. I guess the BBB is aware of these false claims since they are so prevalent?

I'm not, but since I am an enthusiast detailer and I was a professional detailer for several years, doesn't it make sense to assume I probably have a little more information about paint care products?

How much do you pay a detailer? I have been detailing one of my own cars for a couple of years (see my sig). I have yet to find a detailer that comes close to my own work (I use Zaino BTW). There is no way I could get a detailer to do the job I want for as you say "weekly for several years" for the money I spent on the Teflon hose job.

It totally varies on what you want done and the condition of your vehicle. I can tell you what I charge and what detailers around here charge. For a full interior and exterior detail on a GX470 in good shape I would have charged $250. Again, $350 for the teflon treatment is cheap.

"Using Zaino" doesn't equal a quality detail job. Detailing is a process, not a product. Zaino is another product that IMHO is more hype than substance.

"Using Zaino" doesn't equal a quality detail job. Detailing is a process, not a product. Zaino is another product that IMHO is more hype than substance.

You obviously do not understand Zaino...It's application is definately a process which starts by removing old waxes, claying the paint (possibly paint cleansing and swirl removal if necessary)and then multiple applications of the Z5Pro and Z2Pro with Z6 and/orZ8 in between each layer. I suggest you refrain from commenting on a product you obviously have never used. You are not the only detailer in the world (I am also a memeber of autopia and detailcity and I detail my 996TT myself.)

Peace

You obviously do not understand Zaino...It's application is definately a process which starts by removing old waxes, claying the paint (possibly paint cleansing and swirl removal if necessary)and then multiple applications of the Z5Pro and Z2Pro with Z6 and/orZ8 in between each layer. I suggest you refrain from commenting on a product you obviously have never used. You are not the only detailer in the world (I am also a memeber of autopia and detailcity and I detail my 996TT myself.)

LOL! I absolutely have used Zaino, I used it for years on my Explorer. This is why I don't like Zaino, it has a cultlike following and you people automatically assume that anyone who doesn't like Zaino has no idea what they are talking about. My problem has more to do with the arrogance of the product's following than the product itself. Your response made my day, thanks lol. So typical.

The "process" is no different than detailing with any other product. Sal likes you to do a dawn wash, thats about the only difference. You have to be careful with rich polishes, but I think thats more a way Zaino users feel special and I bet you won't see an appreciable difference

The only think I remotely like about Zaino is the longevity. Thats it, I don't like the way it looks on a car (it looks okay on silvers), and I don't like how finnicky it is to use. I CERTAINLY don't like the attitude of the cult either. You're a member of Autopia, post what you just posted here there. It will start a 10 page flamewar that people will get banned over. I'm hardly the only detailer that doesn't like, or even hates, Zaino.

Just in case you misunderstood what I originally wrote, I was not saying that Zaino is not a quality product. All I was saying is just because you use Zaino doesn't mean you're "detailing" your car. Zaino is a sealant, thats all. Its meant to go on top of paint that has been cleaned and polished to its best finish.

Once you detail a car properly, it will look great with anything on top of it. I prefer a nice rich carnuaba, or a hybrid sealant even if the longevity isn't the same. To me Zaino takes deep rich paint and makes it look one dimensional and cold. Thats my opinion, and it does not mean I don't "understand zaino". Its a sealant, not that hard to understand. I just dislike it.

LOL! I absolutely have used Zaino, I used it for years on my Explorer. This is why I don't like Zaino, it has a cultlike following and you people automatically assume that anyone who doesn't like Zaino has no idea what they are talking about. My problem has more to do with the arrogance of the product's following than the product itself. Your response made my day, thanks lol. So typical.

this is your quote

As to what I use, I don't use sealants on the Lexus, I use only carnuaba. On the Prius I use Poorboys EX-P but may switch to Zaino.

This sounds like you have not used it...why would you be thinking of switching to it if you have used it?

Whatever mr. detail expert. I am no zealot for Zaino. I have a rather expensive vehicle and have tried souverain, p21s, poorboys, klasse, four star, rejex, meguiars & ultimate. None of them are quite as good as zaino for finish and longevitiy IMHO.

Speaking of polishes (and to break up the obvious tension here), I have found that Rejex is an excellent "polish" - very easy to apply, protects as good as the best of them, and lasts a good long time. It certainly doesn't smell as nice as Zaino, but is a bit more visible.

Zano doesn't seem to be as thick as paste waxes, but does last longer. By the way, Zaino leather in a bottle smells exactly like fresh leather; I use it on my Corvette seats every couple of months.

Dave

this is your quote

This sounds like you have not used it...why would you be thinking of switching to it if you have used it?

I have been thinking about switching to it on the Prius because it sits outside 24/7, Zaino does have the longest staying power out there, and I don't care as much how the Prius looks. Just because I use something once and then stop using it doesn't mean I may not go back to using it later. I think if protection is your main concern (which it is for the Prius) then you can't go wrong with Zaino, *I* simply prefer the look of pretty much every other quality product I've ever used. Thats my opinion, and yes I do "understand Zaino".

Whatever mr. detail expert. I am no zealot for Zaino. I have a rather expensive vehicle and have tried souverain, p21s, poorboys, klasse, four star, rejex, meguiars & ultimate. None of them are quite as good as zaino for finish and longevitiy IMHO.

LOL, excuse me for knowing what I'm talking about. You have a "rather expensive vehicle" (you know, because I don't have expensive vehicles :rolleyes: Did you sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night too? ) so I'm sorry I didn't immediately roll over to your arrogant presumption that since I don't like what you like I'm ignorant.

I'm glad you like Zaino, again I never said there was anything wrong with Zaino. I simply said *I* don't like how it looks on a car. Yes, it is possible for someone to disagree with you and not be an idiot.

I am no zealot for Zaino.

Buddy, if your first reaction to me saying I don't like Zaino is that I have no idea how Zaino works, have never used it, and then admonish me not to besmerch the name of Zaino with my paltry understanding you're a member of the cult.

The mere fact that its important enough to you to get that reaction out of you is proof enough.

I have no desire to keep arguing this, its going nowhere.

Bottom line:

1. Do research before purchasing these paint protection packages from your dealer. They are huge sources of profit for them, thats why they push them so hard. Use some common sense. In my experience as both a consumer who has owned vehicles with and without these packages, and as a professional who has watched his customers battle with these companies to get them to fulfill on their promises I don't reccomend you accept one unless its free. Even then, *I* wouldn't because of the extreme likelihood that the dealer will screw up your paint applying it.

2. Zaino is a good product, but there are many good products out there and it is by far not the across the board best. Also remember buying some Zaino or any other product does not make you a master detailer. Detailing is a skill and its learned by practice, like anything else.

Now, I think enough is enough.

• 8 years later...

RX400 Hybrid

I recently cracked the passenger side mirror and brown fluid ran onto the car. We wiped it up and it continued to drip for the three days until I could get it to the dealer. When driving, it sprayed all over the side of the car. The dealer told me that I should file an insurance claim because the fluid eats into the paint. They quoted me $3100.00 to repaint the side of my car. I am appalled that Lexus would use this fluid in a part that is easily broken. They are clearly aware that the fluid is so corrosive that ruins the paint and yet will take no responsibility. After researching on the net, this is not a new problem. I have owned 4 Lexus vehicles and this is my last one. They are not the company I thought they were.