1997 Ls400

PHXRocket

I just recently purchased a 1997 LS400 from a private owner. The car appears to be in excellant shape despite the 100,000 miles.

However, the widow selling the car did not know if all the proper service had been done, nor did she have any service records.

Neither of the two Lexus dealers in Phoenix can find anything which indicates whether they ever performed any work. (An older Snow Bird Couple) One was less than helpful and certainly is crossed off from any future work.

1. What is the minimum service that I need to do. I can just see the service manager at the dealership smiling and then recommending a very expense review.

2. What is the bare minimum I need to have done to make sure I avoid any major engine or performance problems?

3. How often should the big serpentine timing belt be replaced? (She didn't think it ever had been replaced).

Help - I love the car, but I'm afraid that the previous owner (who unfortunately passed away after a long illness), or I, might be overlooking some simple service that will avoid future problems.

ABG

It sounds like a nice car but.... I find it hard to believe that a pair of old snowboards approaching checkout time would be able put 100,000 miles on a 1997 car. Hopefully, they had the oil changed regularily.

I think the timing belt is suppose to be changed around 90,000. It's important to do on the newer Lexuses because the valves can hit the pistons if it was to break. The serpentine belt (called the "drive" belt by Lexus) is the belt that runs the alternator, steering pump, a/c and such. The enhine timing belt is behind the waterpump inside the front of the engine. That's the one thats expensive. The dealer gets about $170 just to replace the drive belt.

100,000 miles is nothing for a well maintained car anymore.

And yeah, they sure do smile a lot around the dealerships. If I made that much for stuff, I'd be smiling as well!

Good Luck

yeah do the transmission change, coolin system change, power steering change, spark plugs, wires distributors and caps should be changed as well. as to the timing you can drive for another 20k if your pulleys or water pump are not making that whining noise.... if they do get ready to get new pulleys, new tensioner and new water pump as well as aux belt and timing belt

I would agree with VMF. Also get yourself good Lexus/Toyota air and fuel filter. I dout older folks did premium all the time. Also do driver and timng belt now. You could do may be another 20k on the timing belt if you had a car from day one. My driver belt looked much worse then the timing one when I did my 90k service. Think of this service expence (closed to $1k if not dealer) as a part of the purchase deal.

Enjoy! :)