Lexus Reliability?

Hey guys. After reading this forum over the past few weeks, I'm starting to wonder about Lexus legendary reliability.

I formerly owned a Corolla and it never ever had a thing go wrong with it, despite the fact I drove it across Australia and back, and up top the top of Australia and back, through some of the wildest country you'll ever see (I once crossed a crocodile infested river in it).

Yet, looking over the topic titles for this forum and it seems there's always something breaking in these ES300s. I sure hope I did the right thing buying one. Maybe the problem is that you guys are into modifications rather than leaving things stock standard?

Stephen

Sydney Australia.

Very ,very few people ever modify an ES300 is at all on this site.

You have to remember all the threads you see are from mainly new members who have a problem. It is less likely that a persons wonders onto the Internet finding a club to have a chat but rather fix an issue.

Also the ES is a Camry and they have quite a few of them running around these days.

The 2000 model only has a IACV to be cleaned every so often and possibility of oil sludge which Toyota will pay to fix.

Here's something you have to realize about car forums, people come to them 90% of the time because:

1. They want to modify their car

2. They want to get information about a problem they're having with their car

So, you have a disproportionately high percentage of owners here who discuss problems. If you look at all Lexus owners as a whole, the percentage is dramatically lower. Lexus wouldn't have steadily increasing sales numbers, steadily increasing customer retention rates (meaning people who buy another Lexus), and stable customer satisfaction, IQS, and dependability statistics if the cars weren't reliable and appealing.

It is a VERY reliable car. Are they perfect? No, but no machine is. You can expect reliability at least as good as you had from your Corolla.

And you also have to look at the age of the poster's vehicle. I see people all the time that whine about problems on 17 year old LS400s that most people complain about with 4 year old cars. I mean, no matter how wonderful the car is, 17 years old is OLD

Thanks guys I take your point. I know that lexus are VERY reliable. In fact I think mine (the 2000 model ES300) won the JD Power award that year?

I just read the Chester Dawson book on Lexus . It was brilliant. Man, did those engineers go to some trouble developing the LS 400. A billion dollars of trouble. I think that will be my next car in a couple of years when I'm wealthy.

Cheers

Stephen

Hey guys. After reading this forum over the past few weeks, I'm starting to wonder about Lexus legendary reliability.

I formerly owned a Corolla and it never ever had a thing go wrong with it, despite the fact I drove it across Australia and back, and up top the top of Australia and back, through some of the wildest country you'll ever see (I once crossed a crocodile infested river in it).

Yet, looking over the topic titles for this forum and it seems there's always something breaking in these ES300s. I sure hope I did the right thing buying one. Maybe the problem is that you guys are into modifications rather than leaving things stock standard?

Stephen

Sydney Australia.

For the ES/Windom... There are two sites of any size on the entire internet they are troubleshot on. ClubLexus & Lexus Owners Club. Neither of which have many members. There are two more sites of any size devoted to the actualy Camry platform itself. ToyotaNation & SolaraGuy. How many actual v6 problems do we get a week across all four? A dozen, or two at most with hundreds of thousands of members? How many Corolla forums do I know of? A dozen offhand lmao!

Toyota has sold like what? 600,000 Toyota Camry based vehicles in the United States alone annually for like 10 years. Yet these four websites are all you ever see problems posted on?????

That's insane reliability.

And of all the problems, you tell me. How many of them are maintenance related. How many of them are actually "stuff broken with real problems". And of those, the majority of which are going frankly still going to fall back to either user error, or bad maintenance. Which again, is a user issue LoL!

They're not the best cars ever, but the simple truth of the matter is that if you do everything you're suppose to with the car itself & older cars in general. Barring some random failure these things can be driven into the ground & do it longer than you want to keep the car around. & Hey... When you do break them. That's when we shead our Lexus badges & go to the Toyota dealers saying we have a v6 Camry.

(Yes, both Lexus, and the ES's have always done very well in the JD Power surveys. You have to spend 2-3x the money to get into cars that even then *may* not out score them depending on the year. For the money they're killer. Always have been if you're looking for entry luxury. That's why noone else competes with them in the luxury end of entry luxury cars. Everyone else has to go sporty LoL!)