92 Ls 400 - Only Able To Get Low And Reverse Gears...

Call_Me_Lucky

Hello all, I bought my car about 3 months ago, and have been lurking this forum for awhile. I ran into a problem yesterday, and hope that some members here may be able to offer some helpful advice.

My automatic transmission decided to only give me low gear and reverse yesterday when I was (luckily) about 3 blocks from home. It would not upshift at all, no matter what gear I selected. It didn't make any noise or give me any trouble leading up to this point. The only work done on it recently, was a Jiffy Lube engine oil/filter change the day before this problem occurred. I checked the transmission fluid color and level, and it is fine.

This is the first car I've owned with an automatic transmission, so I must admit that I'm not too familiar with how they work. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Not your symptoms, but you may wish to read through the following threads:

97 LS400 Transmission Problems?

Need Advice On Shift Solenoid

According to Lextreme, the shift solenoids are triggered to match the gear lever position so perhaps #2 is not energizing.

Shifter Position-------------Solenoid 1------------Solenoid 2

L--------------------------------On---------------------Off

2--------------------------------On---------------------On

D-------------------------------Off---------------------On

OD-----------------------------Off---------------------Off

I know a couple of Lexus master techs (dealer mechanics both) and they tell me the only trouble they have ever seen is with the shift solenoids. Not a big deal, quite simple. Just don't go to some trans shop and let them yank the unit out and rebuild the whole flippin' deal. Let someone familiar with this trans diagnose it.

Well guys, the problem has been solved! I checked into the reverse light issue (thanks for the tip VBdenny), and found that a white wire in the trunk had been severed. It is located on the left side along the trunk hinge. Once I reconnected that wire, the reverse light stopped coming on when pressing the brake pedal, and the transmission shifted flawlessly once again.

A big thank you to this forum for helping me solve this problem! You all are outstanding!

Well guys, the problem has been solved! I checked into the reverse light issue (thanks for the tip VBdenny), and found that a white wire in the trunk had been severed. It is located on the left side along the trunk hinge. Once I reconnected that wire, the reverse light stopped coming on when pressing the brake pedal, and the transmission shifted flawlessly once again.

A big thank you to this forum for helping me solve this problem! You all are outstanding!

yeah I keep hearing about the 'trunk wire' thing and I have no idea as to what you guys are talking about. I took out the plastic shroud thing in the truck and the 'carpet' but I've yet to find this infamous wire that would cause all these magical issues. I'm trying to get to the problem before it it becomes a problem.