Rear Driveshaft Castle Nut

DanW

I going to change the front and rear struts on my '91 ls400. According to the service manual, the rear drive axles need to be removed to get the rear struts off. Could someone tell me what sort of tool/socket is used to remove the castle nut that holds the end of the driveshafts to the wheel hubs?

Thanks.

I going to change the front and rear struts on my '91 ls400. According to the service manual, the rear drive axles need to be removed to get the rear struts off. Could someone tell me what sort of tool/socket is used to remove the castle nut that holds the end of the driveshafts to the wheel hubs?

Thanks.

The manual is wrong. You don't have to remove the axle shafts to replace the struts.

Thanks.

The manual is wrong. You don't have to remove the axle shafts to replace the struts.

I like that idea quite a bit better actually! Have you (or anyone else here) been successful that this? If the rear struts will slide out without having to pull the axle shafts off, I could probably do all 4 in one day.

Thanks for the tip.

Thanks.

I like that idea quite a bit better actually! Have you (or anyone else here) been successful that this? If the rear struts will slide out without having to pull the axle shafts off, I could probably do all 4 in one day.

Thanks for the tip.

This is for a 91, I am sure it is the same.

91_ls400_strut.pdf

LS400_SHOCKS.pdf

LS400_SHOCKS_REAR.pdf

Maybe I'm talking the wrong talk here. By 'strut' I'm not referring to the strut bar, but the shock/spring assembly.

Sorry for the confusion. Is it possible to remove the rear ones without removing the driveshafts??

Thanks for the pdf though, I appreciate the time it took to post that!

Maybe I'm talking the wrong talk here. By 'strut' I'm not referring to the strut bar, but the shock/spring assembly.

Sorry for the confusion. Is it possible to remove the rear ones without removing the driveshafts??

Thanks for the pdf though, I appreciate the time it took to post that!

Here is more if it can be of some help.

ls400_diff.pdf

ls400_diff1.pdf

ls400_diff2.pdf

ls400_diff3.pdf

ls400_diff4.pdf

Yes, rear spring/shocks can be removed without removing the axles. An extra set of hands is helpfull to pull and push the carrier to pop out the shock/spring assembly

Thanks to all for the resources and information.

Yes, rear spring/shocks can be removed without removing the axles. An extra set of hands is helpfull to pull and push the carrier to pop out the shock/spring assembly

Thanks to all for the resources and information.

No prob here, Let us know how the project goes. :cheers:

Is it possible to remove the rear ones without removing the driveshafts??
Yes, it is. I changed my rear shocks without removing the rear driveshafts. I didn't completely remove the rear parcel shelf either; it's flexible enough for you to be able to squeeze the air ratchet in there without removing it. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Is it possible to remove the rear ones without removing the driveshafts??
Yes, it is. I changed my rear shocks without removing the rear driveshafts. I didn't completely remove the rear parcel shelf either; it's flexible enough for you to be able to squeeze the air ratchet in there without removing it. ;)

Thanks all for you help.

I was able to change the rear struts on my '92 ls400 without removing the driveshafts.

Some observations:

The bolt on the bottom of the rear strut was on VERY tight. If you don't have an impact wrench, let liquid wrench soak all night. Use a 6pt socket and a big breaker bar. I almost rounded it off with a 12pt.

You will need to disconnect the upper end of the sway bar links to get the that bolt out.

Once the strut is free, you need to rotate it 90 degrees. Push the bottom end toward the middle of the car to keep it away from the boot on the driveshaft.

Work the carrier up and down and the end of the strut will slide past the driveshaft. then pull the top out from underneath the fender.

Install is exactly reverse.

In all steps, just be very careful not to damage the rubber boot on the drive shaft. You will probably come into at least light contact with it.

The bolt on the outer end of the drive shaft is torqued to 253 ft/lb. Its good to not have to try and remove that.