Question On Will Rim Fit And Suitability.

Sandman

I am considering buying a set of Velox VX-8 rims. They are 18 x 7.5 with a 40mm offset. They are listed on a website as being for front wheel drive vehicles. Why do they do that? Does it make a difference? I thought a rim was a rim.

Are these rims ok for a 1992 SC400?

Thanks.

P.S. Any idea what size tires I should go for with this?

"Offset is usually stamped or engraved into the wheel and is measured in millimetres of 'ET' [ET is the short form of the German word 'Einpresstiefe' which literally translates as 'insertion depth']

Positive Offset wheels have their mounting face toward the front face of the wheel. Most front wheel drive vehicles have positive ET wheels. Eighties and Nineties Volkswagen wheels are usually ET38.

Zero Offset wheels have their mounting face even with the centerline of the wheel and are by definition "ET 0".

Negative Offset wheels have their mounting face toward the rear of the wheel - powerful rear-wheel drive cars often have wheels with negative offset."

For lack of better words....

positive offset = front wheel drive

negative offset = rear wheel drive

offset_diagram.gif

this might help you visualize it a bit better

whether it is meant for rear wheel drive or front wheel drive determines on the depth you could say of the actual rim part you would notice as you look at it

positive is closer to the outside and negative is closer to the inside of the car, the offset is determined by the relative distance to the center

just wanted to give a little visual aid there :whistles:

my advice is to go with a negative offset rim and i hope all of this info helps you out

-chase

"Offset is usually stamped or engraved into the wheel and is measured in millimetres of 'ET' [ET is the short form of the German word 'Einpresstiefe' which literally translates as 'insertion depth']

Positive Offset wheels have their mounting face toward the front face of the wheel. Most front wheel drive vehicles have positive ET wheels. Eighties and Nineties Volkswagen wheels are usually ET38.

Zero Offset wheels have their mounting face even with the centerline of the wheel and are by definition "ET 0".

Negative Offset wheels have their mounting face toward the rear of the wheel - powerful rear-wheel drive cars often have wheels with negative offset."

For lack of better words....

positive offset = front wheel drive

negative offset = rear wheel drive

offset_diagram.gif

this might help you visualize it a bit better

whether it is meant for rear wheel drive or front wheel drive determines on the depth you could say of the actual rim part you would notice as you look at it

positive is closer to the outside and negative is closer to the inside of the car, the offset is determined by the relative distance to the center

just wanted to give a little visual aid there :whistles:

my advice is to go with a negative offset rim and i hope all of this info helps you out

-chase

Actually, now I'm more confused than ever. I found this on rims at Club Lexus.com... http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158592

Offsets: The stock offset is +50mm. When stock wheels are mounted to our cars, they appear to be “sunken” (tucked into the fender). Too low of an offset will make a wheel stick out, passed the fender.Many people choose to go with a lower offset, or run spacers, so the wheels will not appear to be sunken, and come to the edge of the fender, for a more aggressive/clean look.

you can go as low as +38 on a 10” wide wheel in the rear without any fender modifications and as low as +22 on a 10” wide wheel with your fenders rolled. your tire size plays a big role here.

From this it seems that positive 40mm will be fine, so, considering what you said, I am now more confused.

:wacko:

lol well dont listen to me then if its wrong, i found ur question to be reasonable and did some research, thats just what i came up with, everything before the picture is a direct quote from the site i found

It's just weird because they do say that it's made for front wheel drive. :whistles: