Car Runs, But Sputters And Dies.

tweeaks

Hey fellas, this is my first post here. I just bought a 94 ES300 (prod date was 10/93) that has kind of an odd problem. I can start it and it'll run and idle (idle is a little rough) but as soon as I give it a good push on the gas pedal it dies off and takes a while to start again. While it is running though I can gently give the car more gas and it'll rev up fine until I give it a harder push and it dies again. I'd take it down somewhere to get the CEL checked out, but I can't drive it. From what I gather this car is OBD2, this info is correct? Any help I can get is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy

yep, gotta love toyota's embrace of the obd2 program early.

sounds like a classic case of a torn intake air boot.

I've checked over the intake (It has a cheap ram air intake on it) and all the boots are fine. The vacume system all looks fine too. There is one vacume hose from the valve cover though, that looks like it should go back to the intake, but it is left open. I'd think that this wouldn't cause the car to not run properly though, as it would more than likely go back into the intake before the MAF. I don't think that it is the MAF because when it is idleing I can unplug the MAF and it will die....maybe it's not sending the right signal, can anyone tell me how to test the sensors.

I have another question, while looking around the engine bay last night I noticed a group of wires that were spliced then taped up. It's about 8 wires in the upper left hand corner of the engine bay. It goes underneath the cowl and to the right side somewhere. Can anyone tell me what these wires go to?

Thanks,

Jeremy

I've checked over the intake (It has a cheap ram air intake on it) and all the boots are fine. The vacume system all looks fine too. There is one vacume hose from the valve cover though, that looks like it should go back to the intake, but it is left open.

I have another question, while looking around the engine bay last night I noticed a group of wires that were spliced then taped up. It's about 8 wires in the upper left hand corner of the engine bay. It goes underneath the cowl and to the right side somewhere. Can anyone tell me what these wires go to?

Thanks,

Jeremy

You'd have to show me a picture of the wires.

The breater hose connects post MAF. If the intake is left open at any poitn after the maf, it will throw it off.

You'd have to show me a picture of the wires.

The breater hose connects post MAF. If the intake is left open at any poitn after the maf, it will throw it off.

I couldn't find anywhere after the MAF that it would plug into.

I just got back from towing it to Autozone and the CEL it is throwing is P0340 from what they said this is the cam angle sensor. Can anyone give me a pic of where it's at? I know if the sensor is bad or disconnected that it would run similar to what it is now, so I think that's the culprit.

Thanks,

Jeremy

check your timing belt. pull off the plastic cover and take a peek. it might be a belt that is almost about to fail, and ripped or stretched out. you'll have to turn it around somehow, either by letting it run with the belt in view, or turning it over sevareal times to seel the entire lenght of the belt.

Can anyone give me instructions on how to test the Cam Sensor? I try and search the forums here, but thousands of completely unrelated posts come up. Here are the pics of the spliced wires. I circled where the original clip would have been. If anyone would be inclined to find out which wire goes to which It'd be greatly appreciated. Does any one know what these wires are for?

post-32052-1161117737_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...