Slight Whine From Engine Area When In Drive

Imzjustplayin

When my LS400 '94 is in drive, there is a slight whine when the car is put into drive and I'm not quite sure what it could be. My friend thinks it's a drive belt but I don't believe so because otherwise I'd hear it when it's in park/neutral but when in reverse or drive, it makes the noise. What could it be?

I would check the power steering fluid level. There may be a little air trapped in the system. If the level is correct, you might want to try leaving your p/s cap off overnight - just remember to tighten it before driving. Alternatively, you could try the air bleeding procedure outlined in several posts.

I would check the power steering fluid level. There may be a little air trapped in the system. If the level is correct, you might want to try leaving your p/s cap off overnight - just remember to tighten it before driving. Alternatively, you could try the air bleeding procedure outlined in several posts.

Chance are that he would hear that in any gear, and it shouild be more pronounced when turning the wheel side to side.

IMHO the Lexus engines tend to be whiney engines in terms of sound. I thought that about my first ES and still about my LS. Check the tranny fluid and make sure it is up to spec as to level and color. May be time for a change.

It would also help if you defined "whine" a little better. Is it continuous, only when the car is warming up, when turning, high pitched, like a squeal or scream, etc...

• 3 weeks later...

Chance are that he would hear that in any gear, and it shouild be more pronounced when turning the wheel side to side.

IMHO the Lexus engines tend to be whiney engines in terms of sound. I thought that about my first ES and still about my LS. Check the tranny fluid and make sure it is up to spec as to level and color. May be time for a change.

It would also help if you defined "whine" a little better. Is it continuous, only when the car is warming up, when turning, high pitched, like a squeal or scream, etc...

Reply, now that I think about it, sounds more like a dive belt than anything else....