1998 Ls 400 Instrument Cluster Lighting Flickering

cardona6569

Hello:

While driving I noticed that my light displays in the Instrument Cluster started flickering. It was in the day, I turned the lights to see if any changes, but to no avail. It does not go out completelly but they flicker. Have anybody with a 1998-01 had this issue. I am thinking it has to do with the brightness switch. I just hope it is not a problem like the first Gen has had with the I. Clusters.

C. PR

Greetings and thanks for answering:

The Backlighting. The needles are fine. I also noticed last night that it did not happen, it only happens in the daytime. Unless they have an automatic day/night adjustment feature when measuring the outside light, that is the only reason I can think of for the normalcy of the event, if not something might be bad, like a sensor etc. Please Advice.

Sincerely,

C. PR

The needles or the backlighting?

Mine did something like that just before I replaced my 6 year old battery. The backlighting would go dim (or out - can't remember) for about a second, then back up. One time it only did this once, another time it flickered back and forth for a couple of seconds, kind of like flipping a light off and on at one second intervals. It hasn't happened since I replaced the battery.

There is a day / night dimming feature when the lights are on and it's particularly noticeable in just after sunup or just before sundown. I've seen mine go in and out of dimness depending on the light - but not enough sunlight to turn the headlights off. But it's not a "flicker". I hope it's either this feature or just a weak battery!

James

Greetings and thanks for answering:

The Backlighting. The needles are fine. I also noticed last night that it did not happen, it only happens in the daytime. Unless they have an automatic day/night adjustment feature when measuring the outside light, that is the only reason I can think of for the normalcy of the event, if not something might be bad, like a sensor etc. Please Advice.

Sincerely,

C. PR

The needles or the backlighting?

There is a day / night dimming feature when the lights are on and it's particularly noticeable in just after sunup or just before sundown. I've seen mine go in and out of dimness depending on the light - but not enough sunlight to turn the headlights off. But it's not a "flicker". I hope it's either this feature or just a weak battery!

This was my first thought too. When the lights are on and the rheostat is set to something other than full dash brightness the gauges will dim when the sensor senses darkness. It even happens when travelling under overpasses.