Window Tinting Opinions

What are our forum member's views on window tinting? I have a dark charcoal grey ES300 and want to tint the windows. However, I would like to retain the car's lovely classic and dare I say it, classy, looks. What are some guidelines I should follow, so I don't make the car look like it's owned by a 18-year-old with bad taste in music?

Cheers

Stephen

Hi! My wife was pulled over by the police since the tint was too dark

according to him(police).... Is there a window tint law in Ausutralia?

We do have it here in Georgia and the police in my county is really

strict. Lots of drivers are pulled over by police here due to their

dark tinted window.

Yes there is a window tinting law here in Oz. Not sure what the limit is, but as I'm taking my car to a very reputable tinter, he assures me everything he uses is strictly legal.

Stephen

I just looked up our state RTA (Roads and Traffic Association) rules about window tinting. It says that side and rear window must allow a MINIMUM 35% VLT (Visible Light Transmission).

My question was more about the fact do our forum users think you should always tint as dark as possible? And do they recommend black or charcoal/smoke colour on a metallic charcoal grey car.

Cheers

Stephen

should be 20% front, 35% rear

Camlex

Do you mean 20% front windows and 35% rear windows, or does the 35% refer only to the actual back window?

Cheers

Stephen

Yes,

20% front windows and 35% rear windows.

That is legal in Texas, Otherwise you will not get State Inspection.

Hope that helps.

Personally, I think 35% is the darkest tint that still looks classy, but thats just me. Remember that the law is 35%, thats TOTAL tint including the factory tint, so your tinter needs to strike a balance that will yield you a 35% from a tint meter.

• 1 month later...

My personal choice is the metallic smoke on dark charcoal gray/gunmetal colored cars. It gives a elegant look, and the metallic I think helps keep the car more cool because it tends to reflect a lot of external light, rather than absorb it.

For black cars, it's definitely the black tint... the metallic smoke makes it look washed out, but then on the ES I guess it might compliment the two-two gray bottom skirt.

As for darkness, go right up to the legal limit. There are some reasons for legal limits... mainly on the rear window. It's done (I was told), so the police can still see in your car if/when they pull you over. I was told by some friends who are cops that they want to be able to see your face/eyes in your rearview mirror when they pull you over so they can see if you are doing anything 'suspicious', which is why they make you leave that rear window less tinted. Going up to the legal limit on the side windows gives you as much cooling and privacy as possible, but then doesn't leave you blind at night, and the darker tint makes it a pain to see out at night (been there done that). Plus, I had a friend who had uber-dark tint on his ride years ago. He got pulled over, and because the officer couldn't see in his side windows, my friend rolled down his window to be greeted by the business end of a Glock... hey, if I was a cop and I couldn't see what was going on inside that car while making a stop, I'd be levelin' off my side-arm at the driver, too.

Lastly, my biggest peeve with window tinting is when someone tints the front side windows a light tint, then heavily tints the rear side windows, so from the side the car has two distinct window tints... totally breaks up the lines of the car and makes it look disfunctional in my opinion... makes it look like it's been wrecked and things are mismatched on it.

Just go with as dark as you can, and my vote would be for the metallic smoke tint.

• 2 years later...

Here's a link to my 2005 ES 330....Solar Gard 'Charcoal Series' 20% (medium shade) on all windows (except the windshield of course). Keep in mind that it might look slightly darker because of the black interior.....but it's really not.....the sun over time will fade things slightly no matter what so keep that in mind.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=51532

The ES's are a bit of a bugger to tint....especially the rear window....so make sure you go to a professional.

:cheers:

I have 15% luminar all around...i had the windshiled tinted at 50% but cause it is aftermarket the distortion was too much so I had it removed. you could see into the car at close range and you could tell i am female when you drove by but you could not see my face.

you need to take in fact that the interior of the car also effects what the end product looks like. i have tan interior which reflects light so even though i have pretty dark tint it is still pretty bright in the car esp since the windshield tint is gone. I wish the back window was 5% limo now that the Windshield is not tinted. I had a car w black interior tinted the same and it was not very visible inside the car.

I have 15% luminar all around...i had the windshiled tinted at 50% but cause it is aftermarket the distortion was too much so I had it removed. you could see into the car at close range and you could tell i am female when you drove by but you could not see my face.

you need to take in fact that the interior of the car also effects what the end product looks like. i have tan interior which reflects light so even though i have pretty dark tint it is still pretty bright in the car esp since the windshield tint is gone. I wish the back window was 5% limo now that the Windshield is not tinted. I had a car w black interior tinted the same and it was not very visible inside the car.

Welcome BALOO! Do you have any pics of your ES? Llumar tint is very good stuff.

:cheers:

I ROCK, IF I DO SAY SO MYSELF! the pics are taken between 5-6pm sun shinning on the back of the car. and my camera sucks.

useless fact # 222 use rain-x to prevent sand blasting and minor chips. and don't change your windshield unless absolutely necessary.

post-88701-1235439487_thumb.jpg

post-88701-1235439504_thumb.jpg

post-88701-1235439533_thumb.jpg

post-88701-1235440005_thumb.jpg

post-42851-1235497359_thumb.jpg

:whistles: uhhh, 5% tint all the way around. It's been 15 months, and no police have said anything. I've been pulled over 3 times for other things.(No speeding tickets though.)

post-42851-1235497359_thumb.jpg

:whistles: uhhh, 5% tint all the way around. It's been 15 months, and no police have said anything. I've been pulled over 3 times for other things.(No speeding tickets though.)

WOW smooth1 I love your IS, how do you see out your windows at night though, I have %20 and sometimes its difficult to see out the side window I have to lean forward and look out the windshield when turning.

But great looking IS seriously I'd almost dump my girlfriend for that (dont tell her, hehe)

I haven't had any more issues seeing at night then I had with the 15% I had before. Maybe I just have really good night vision? The back up camera is what really makes it possible though. I can see fine left and right, it's backing up at night that can be difficult, but again, I would say only slightly more so than with 15-20%. The back up camera is sooooooo nice to have.

Also I hope you dont mind but I saved your picture and made it my desktop background :wub: hahah

Wow, I'm very flattered. Thank you for the compliments. B) I have a pictoral thread in the 06-09 IS forum if you want to see the rest of the pictures.