Dyson Vacuum Cleaner

nc211

Just thought I'd put this up, incase anyone was curious. Those Dyson vacuum cleaners, that say they don't loose power, and so forth.....well, I can vouch that it IS the best dang vacuum cleaner I've ever had, bar none. We bought the "Animal" version, since we have cats. Now, my old vacuum cleaner was a hoover, and I thought it was really good. It was bagless as well. It would get up the cat hair, everytime, and we've got a lot of cat hair "3 cats". So when I used the Dyson, I was not that impressed that it too got up the cat hair. But what did impress me, tremendously, is the amount of dirt the Dyson picked up, that the other never got. And, it fluffed up the carpet like never before. In our new house, I vacuumed with the Dyson, then I ran my Brissel home steam cleaner "excellent machine too", and then after the carpet dried, I ran the Dyson again, to fluff up the carpet. Even after steam cleaning the carpet, the Dyson still picked up some dirt and dust.

So, if anyone is thinking about a new vacuum cleaner, and curious if the Dyson is worth the $400+ price tag....well....in my honest opinion, it is worth every penny. If you do get one, get the "Animal" version, it has more attachments, especially a very handy spinner attachement for furniture and stairs. We bought ours at Target for $450, and received a $100 Target gift card with the purchase.

But, it sure is UGLY as hell.

I vouch for it also as i bought mine 6 months ago. I bought one from Costco for 650 with all the attachments dc14 . Then saw a place local with every single attachment including the soft bristle dusting brush and some others. I got it form them for $400 with $100 worth of extra accessories. I returned the other to Costco after i made sure it was the exact same thing. Then found another place local selling the car kit for it that had the extended soft wand and smaller micro carpet brush for cars. It is a great product with a hefty price that is well worth it.

One note is to take apart the canister once a month and open it up to clean the dust out of the chamber as it does get pretty compacted in there.

let it dry for a day and it is perfect again.

good to hear, i was hesitant to buy one with the big price tag, and also the website is soo confusing. theres the purple one and the yellow one etc. lol i need help!

Look at the March '06 issue of 'Consumer Reports'. They tested out 35 upright vacuum cleaners, and the Dyson DC15 came out in 9th place, at a price of about $500. The first and second place vacuums were Sears Kenmore, models 35923 & 36932 respectively. Sears is selling the model 35923 for about $279. Do yourself a favor and check them out......you could save yourself about $221 over the Dyson.......and get a better machine besides. ;)

I read 5 days of reports before buying it.

My biggest reason for not buying the others which are comparable for a similar price tag is the reliability issues. The hoover and Kenmore have parts that like to break like belts and hoses and poor finish. I prefer the Lexus of vacuum cleaners . It may not look as nice or be the fastest but last and always works. One thing i really love about its design is that the brush heads is that they are not electric. They are run off the vacuum suction power turning a fan to rotate the bristles. I thought that was an amazing design , being so simple and it works as there is less parts to break.

BTW i replaced a 20 year old electrolux with it.

I have Central Vac in my house...but wait I don't do any of the cleaning that is women's work...what is wrong with you NC...and the rest of you guys! J/K :whistles: :lol: :D

"I have Central Vac in my house...but wait I don't do any of the cleaning that is women's work...what is wrong with you NC...and the rest of you guys! J/K "

I've only been married for 5 months.....a little too soon for me to pull that stuff....plus, still need to get that HD TV.

Well the Dyson has definelty earned it's stripes with me, that's for sure. We cleaned our new house with it, and cleaned our old house yesterday with it, and it made a huge difference. I had to emply that cannister probably 6 times yesterday when cleaning the old house. It never even hinted that it was getting tired or weak. It may not be as good as some of those professional models out there that the big hotel chains use, but I will never accept that it isn't better than most of those other models sitting next to it at the department stores. How I can tell is by vacuuming with bare feet. On all of my other models I've had over the years, I could feel dirt and crap hitting my feet, because the vacuum was missing it, and blowing it backwards. But not with the Dyson. It pulls in all the dirt and stuff, not just some here, some there.

I saw that article in consumer reports as well. And I must say, that I now completely agree with Blake on that magazine. It is bias.

I saw that article in consumer reports as well. And I must say, that I now completely agree with Blake on that magazine. It is bias.
I saw an article like that in CR, but it was in an older issue. I think they tested LCD tvs in that same issue? I enjoy reading that magazine for comedic purposes because you never know what product they are going to like because it usually changes from sentence to sentence. LOL The biases really come in their auto issue....wow!

Personally, I love our Oreck. I think CR put them pretty low on the report card, but I've never used a better vacuum. Ours is 5 years old, and it has never had a single problem. Plus, Oreck has offices/factories in the two states that I live in (LA and MS)! :D

Personally, I feel they all "suck". :P :P :P :P :P

LOL!

I have Central Vac in my house...

Do you like the central vac? I ask because I've never met anyone who has a central vac and uses it.

I have Central Vac in my house...

Do you like the central vac? I ask because I've never met anyone who has a central vac and uses it.

SW...I have used the VAC...a couple of times... :blushing: my wife tends to do most of the vacuuming most of the time...but yes I think it is great...plug the hose into the wall anywhere in the house and it works great...in the garage I have a plug to use for the cars and after having it I know my wife would not go back to having a regular vac...besides all of the dust is outside in the garage so it is not in the house and no bags or filters...all self cleaning and contained. Now I have seen some of the old models they are much more difficult to clean out and empty and I think that you have to buy filters for them...not to much suction either...our will pick the tile off of the floor if you are not careful... :lol: :D

After having central vac in a house we had built in 1982, the only houses my wife would even consider when we bought an existing house seven years ago all had central vac.

The dirt cannister on our central vac needs emptying about once a year -- it would be longer if there was no pet hair to clean up. And the noise of the vacuum is isolated mainly to a closed off utility room.

It is important to properly size a central vac main unit to the size of the house. When in doubt, bigger is better.

An electrically powered head with beater bars is a must for properly cleaning carpets. The air powered beater bar heads are much less expensive but don't work nearly as well on carpet.

We feel the same way about intercom/music systems -- we won't buy a house without one.

lol i dont want to spend 400 smackeroos on a vacuum that my house cleaner will just dent with her banging agaisnt the walls. this is what happened to my 400 dollars hoover "tornado suction" majiggy. the stickers up front are all messed up and it doesnt even move properly. lol

ill have to have a talk with that house cleaner

also, im looking for something light, i dont want her carrying it up and down 2 flights of stairs.

lol i dont want to spend 400 smackeroos on a vacuum that my house cleaner will just dent with her banging agaisnt the walls. this is what happened to my 400 dollars hoover "tornado suction" majiggy. the stickers up front are all messed up and it doesnt even move properly. lol

also, im looking for something light, i dont want her carrying it up and down 2 flights of stairs.

I have the dyson and a Central Vac. The dyson picks up more in 1 time then the central does in 1 week. It is well worth the money. I use the vac everyday since my son likes to watch it. I can fill the tube in 3 days.

Really? Wow. I've always gotten overwhelmingly negative feedback about central vacuumung systems from my clients.

Maybe its a regional thing.

You know, I have a central vac, but I have laminate and hardwood flooring all over my house! House came with it when we bought it. They said it's also good for cleaning cars too, but haven't tried that yet. :blink:

I have the dyson and a Central Vac. The dyson picks up more in 1 time then the central does in 1 week. It is well worth the money. I use the vac everyday since my son likes to watch it. I can fill the tube in 3 days.

What type of Central Vac system do you have? We also have a Phantom...that we had in our old house that has a clear canister...after running the central vac I can run it and it will not pick up much of anything... :huh:

Really? Wow. I've always gotten overwhelmingly negative feedback about central vacuumung systems from my clients.

Maybe its a regional thing.

You know, I have a central vac, but I have laminate and hardwood flooring all over my house! House came with it when we bought it. They said it's also good for cleaning cars too, but haven't tried that yet. :blink:

I have all hardwood and tile downstairs besides the master bedroom which is carpet...we have a end that works very well for the hardwood and the tile...we also have a 115lb English lab that stays inside so we clean up white hair all of the time...funny thing is that if it was not for that dog...I do not think we would need to vacuum or sweep more than once or twice a month...now it is every 2-3 days...I can not stand anything that is dirty... ;)