First Long Trip In Our Is350

Just got back from our first long trip in our 350.

The particulars:

Route: Denver to Palm Springs (attended a conference there) via I25, I40, I17 and I10; Palm Springs to Yosemite (vacation) via I10, I5, CA99, CA41, Yosemite to Denver via CA41, CA99, CA58, I15 and I70.

Miles: approx 3,150

Mileage: low tank average of 25.4 to a high tank average of 31.3 (got 28.7 from Grand Junction to Denver over the mountains!). (How does a 300HP vehicle get 31MPG while driving 80MPH??)

Speed: ran most of the time on cruise control between 80 and 85 on the Interstates

Driving low point: the 18-wheeler traffic on I40 between Albuquerque and Flagstaff was almost unbearable.

Driving high point: the winding road into/out of Yosemite from Fish Camp. The car was glued to the road going through well-banked curves like a roller coaster car. It was a hoot to drive. Very cool with the nav set to the 700 foot scale as I could anticipate the curves, knowing beforehand whether they were left, right, sharp, wide, etc. - was a lot like the course-wide window in a car racing video game. If you ever get a chance to drive that road in your IS, do it!

Problems; none, other than I got a low tire pressure warning on a 34 degree morning in Yosemite. Added air and the warning cleared.

Comfort: I usually have problems with my tailbone bothering me and with the stiffness of the suspension in the car (sport package) I bought a couple of Tush Cushes at a back store before we left. They were a tremendous help. The car was comfortable for long hours of driving (two days of 12 hours, three of 7 hours)

Handling: the car is so stable on the highway that it was really effortless at highway speeds. Easiest long drive I've ever made. Again, drive that Yosemite highway to really see what the car is like!

Gotta talk about the nav system. I had pre-programmed the hotels in so all I had to do was pull them up from the "previous" list. What a great tool. We always knew how far we had to go, where the rest stops were, which exits had gas stations/food. When in unfamiliar areas, we just put addresses in for resturants, etc. and drove right there. Pulled the hotel off the "previous" list to return. Never had to watch road signs in the dark - could pay attention to driving. We wanted to find a post office, so I pulled that up easily too. On the way back home I even searched for a hotel to stay at in various towns along the way and called ahead to make sure that I could get a room (hands-free Bluetooth is great too). After having done a long trip with nav, I would never do another one without it. It's a tremendous tool! Oh, yeah, gotta use the "hack" to be able to use the system while driving.

This was one of the best car trips we've ever done. Stayed at the Westin Rancho Mirage for the conference. Visited Joshua Tree National Park one afternoon. Spent 2 days in Yosemite - stayed at the Tenaya Lodge in Fish Camp. Very nice place - highly recommend it! It was our first time in Yosemite and we only got to see part of the park due to bad weather closing roads. Now we need to go back - and do it in the IS!

Anyone else driven long distances in your IS?

Wow that sounds great!!

Amazing trip it sounds like and im surprised about how much and how helpful the navigation system is! I really wish I would have gotten it in my new IS but dad wouldent do it :( My mom has it in her new GS though! Im going to Yellowstone this summer, should be exciting!

• 4 weeks later...

This has been posted a bunch of times, but here it is again:

Press Menu

Press Volume

Press the Top Left Corner of the Screen

Press the Bottom Left Corner of the Screen

A Menu will come up.

Press and Hold Override for 5 seconds or until you hear a beep

Hit back and you are done, you should be able to enter destinations while driving.

• 2 months later...

This has been posted a bunch of times, but here it is again:

Press Menu

Press Volume

A Menu will come up.

Press and Hold Override for 5 seconds or until you hear a beep

Hit back and you are done, you should be able to enter destinations while driving.

This does not work in the 2007 model.

• 1 month later...

yea soungs exciting im am also GOING on a trip from knoxville to TAMPA FLORiDA so im very excited tOO<! :P

Good luck on your trip!...hopefully you can stay out of Atlanta traffic. Its almost as bad as LA, but hey its still home for me, and my IS =).