Sunroof Leaks

nc211

I have noticed for quite some time now, that when I have the sunroof in "tilt up" mode, then close it, and if it rains later, I get a leak that drips down through light switch by the sunroof switch. I also notice that if I open the roof a little bit normally "slide it back motion", then close it, it doesn't leak at all. I've had to clean the seal and especially the metal of the car where the sunroof seal meets the car, several times over the years. So, question: Anyone else have this happen? Any suggestions on what type of silicone or other lubricant I could use on the rubber, to help it seal right from closing the sunroof from tilt up mode? Because, sometimes my old bones forget to "reset" the seal by doing a quick slide back, and then close motion. And nothing irritates me more than driving down the freeway, and a drip of dirty water splaters on my center counsole. I can't spell today....or any day for that matter...

Your sunroof drains are probably a little backed up. My roof used to leak in the exact same spot only when it would rain really hard, but blowing compressed air through the sunroof drains solved my problem!

Oh no!!! Now you've done it Blake....Out comes the "HAMMA" lol. When mine leaked I went to a fabric store and got some shoestring sized felt and tucked it underneath the strip that goes around the glass all the way around. Sealed mine up.

Pb blaster used in multiple applications will clear anything out of them. Compressed air is great but can dislodge junk and cause it to block even worse by compacting it. Also the pressure can disconnect the hoses and cause a leak elsewhere in the car.

Oh no!!! Now you've done it Blake....Out comes the "HAMMA" lol.
Hahaha :cheers:
Compressed air is great but can dislodge junk and cause it to block even worse by compacting it. Also the pressure can disconnect the hoses and cause a leak elsewhere in the car.
It worked great for me and caused no problems. I'm not talking about sending 500psi through there; I could see that causing damage. I used 75 or 100 psi, I think. I first poured some water in the drain holes to soften the mud or whatever up, and then used the compressed air to blow it out, and sure enough it came out through the drain holes below the car, and the water drains out of the car instead of on my head! LOL

Awesome timing. I just started having leaks also with the rain. Its starting to drip from my map light button (right side). It never seems to amaze me. I know this isn't close to a real repair, but these cars are built so well that everyone has the same problems at exactly or near the same times (according to age & mileage) for the most part. Other cars have various problems throughout the entire vehicle at very random times. Owning a Lexus you can almost predict when and what your going to have problems with. I think its great. Like your going to have a problem with the power steering system, or eventually your electronic steering wheel will require a simple fix, or your transmission mount will fail at this "pin pointed mileage". Everything breaks eventually I guess, but with a car built as well as a Lexus you could probably predict 95% of the parts that will fail and be very accurate. Just shows the parts are high quality and it also reflects the outstanding Lexus quality.

Anyway good luck with the leak, I am going to work on mine when I have time.

• 3 weeks later...

Your sunroof drains are probably a little backed up. My roof used to leak in the exact same spot only when it would rain really hard, but blowing compressed air through the sunroof drains solved my problem!

did you have to do the rear drain lines....if so, how did you get to them?

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Where can I find instructions on how to remvoe the headliner? I am experiencing a leak also, and after reading all the posts, deduce the drainlines are either clogged or disconnected. The front ones drain fine; it appears the rear ones are the problem. Anyone have instructions on how to remove the headliner on a 91 LS 400?

Hello,

Where can I find instructions on how to remvoe the headliner? I am experiencing a leak also, and after reading all the posts, deduce the drainlines are either clogged or disconnected. The front ones drain fine; it appears the rear ones are the problem. Anyone have instructions on how to remove the headliner on a 91 LS 400?

You owe me a beer :cheers:

removing_sunroof_92ls.pdf

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Hi, dcfish

I looked the instruction of removing headliner as I got same problem, its very helpfu. But couldn't find pages BO-160, BO-163, BO-164 to remove front pillar garnish, roof side garnish etc, wondering if you can help with this? thanks

Jack

• 8 months later...

Lots of posts on this problem. I was glad to find them. Last night after reading them, I went out and looked for the drain holes. ( 94 ls 400) Found the front ones fast. Rear ones I couldn't locate. I had a flashlight and looked for almost 5 minutes. Could someone give me a better clue or better yet a picture? Really would appreciate it. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Sorry guys, I tried the pdf download link as well as the earlier site link. Pdf is corrupted, only downloads 55K and refuses to open in Adobe reader. Link in earlier post is also no longer valid.

Does anyone have a copy of this pdf/ headliner removal procedure? As well as instructions on how interior trim pieces are attached and can be removed?

My car's a '95. Thanks

Maddog

• 4 months later...
Lots of posts on this problem. I was glad to find them. Last night after reading them, I went out and looked for the drain holes. ( 94 ls 400) Found the front ones fast. Rear ones I couldn't locate. I had a flashlight and looked for almost 5 minutes. Could someone give me a better clue or better yet a picture? Really would appreciate it. Thanks.

I have the same question. I can't find the exit holes. I can find the front two on top but I can't find any of the four from the bottom. I do not want to remove the headliner. I just want to clean out with a plastic line. Did you ever get an answer????

• 2 years later...

I live in South Florida and several weeks NOAA reported we had a 25 year rainfall ... almost 15 inches. My '92 LS 400 headliner, seats and floor got soaked. I read everything I could from this website and came up with my own plan to clear the sunroof drains. I used compressed air to blow out the drain channels in the rear. The drip hoses are located in the trunk behind the left and right side trunk panels. Once you have these panels removed, you can access the the drain hoses which exit the water to vents under the car. The drains are hard lines with spring wire clips connecting to clear drain hoses. I used compressed air to blow them out from the trunk to the roof. These drains are attached to the sun roof drains located in the rear side of the roof panel. Unless you're a trained technician, and you are absolutely sure the drain from the roof panel is actually leaking, I would not recommend attempting removing the headliner. If indeed it appears these rear drains may be clogged, you can remove the glass panel to see if there's something obstructing the flow to the rear drains. To remove the glass panel, you will have to remove the left and right glass panel plastic covers to expose the fastening screws. There is a spring clip holding this cover in the front and the back. Because there are shims on each side, you will have to remember where each shim stack needs to be replaced. Almost always the plastic covers will break toward the back and you will have to make a repair afterwards. When removing these plastic panels, use your finger nails to pry them loose rather than a tool to prevent breaking the glass.

There are also two drains located in the front of the sun roof panel at each corner which run through the A pillar. I used weed whacker string to check that there were no clogs at the top side, but because these drains apparently terminate some place in the rocker panel, I wasn't sure they were completely clear because you can't see where they exit. However, I did notice that by testing with water that there were weep holes in the rocker to allow water to escape. It was here that i discovered that the rocker weep holes were crimped closed by hydraulic lifts and/or floor jacks used to hoist the car. I unbent the rocker weep holes and removed the front rubber access plugs and a subsequent water test proved that the water flowed out freely. Recently the we had another downpour and in the morning after the car was dry inside.

Hope this helps.

I live in South Florida and several weeks NOAA reported we had a 25 year rainfall ... almost 15 inches. My '92 LS 400 headliner, seats and floor got soaked. I read everything I could from this website and came up with my own plan to clear the sunroof drains. I used compressed air to blow out the drain channels in the rear. The drip hoses are located in the trunk behind the left and right side trunk panels. Once you have these panels removed, you can access the the drain hoses which exit the water to vents under the car. The drains are hard lines with spring wire clips connecting to clear drain hoses. I used compressed air to blow them out from the trunk to the roof. These drains are attached to the sun roof drains located in the rear side of the roof panel. Unless you're a trained technician, and you are absolutely sure the drain from the roof panel is actually leaking, I would not recommend attempting removing the headliner. If indeed it appears these rear drains may be clogged, you can remove the glass panel to see if there's something obstructing the flow to the rear drains. To remove the glass panel, you will have to remove the left and right glass panel plastic covers to expose the fastening screws. There is a spring clip holding this cover in the front and the back. Because there are shims on each side, you will have to remember where each shim stack needs to be replaced. Almost always the plastic covers will break toward the back and you will have to make a repair afterwards. When removing these plastic panels, use your finger nails to pry them loose rather than a tool to prevent breaking the glass.

There are also two drains located in the front of the sun roof panel at each corner which run through the A pillar. I used weed whacker string to check that there were no clogs at the top side, but because these drains apparently terminate some place in the rocker panel, I wasn't sure they were completely clear because you can't see where they exit. However, I did notice that by testing with water that there were weep holes in the rocker to allow water to escape. It was here that i discovered that the rocker weep holes were crimped closed by hydraulic lifts and/or floor jacks used to hoist the car. I unbent the rocker weep holes and removed the front rubber access plugs and a subsequent water test proved that the water flowed out freely. Recently the we had another downpour and in the morning after the car was dry inside.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for taking the time to post this usefull information. Welcome to the LOC.