Poor Life Of '06 Gs300 Oem Tires...!

At about 12,500 miles, the car developed a heavy rumble that went up and down in volume and pitch with speed. I took it to Park Place Lexus in Grapevine, TX, and a technician said it was the Yokohama tires. He showed me how the front edge of each raised segment was higher than the back edge.

The dealer was willing to buy 2 if I buy the other two. Aside from an initial lack of interest on the part of the dealership and Lexus itself, I eventually contacted Cam Mayfield, service director. He was very helpful, and explained the reason for the 2 tires is that the Yokohamas are designed to give you just 15K to 20K miles because they're soft and quiet... that's it.

So I'm buying two, but I'm putting Bridgestone Turanza LS-V tires, that I've been very happy with. I'm still floored that the OEM tires should only last 20K miles or less.

Does that make sense to you?

George

• 8 months later...
At about 12,500 miles, the car developed a heavy rumble that went up and down in volume and pitch with speed. I took it to Park Place Lexus in Grapevine, TX, and a technician said it was the Yokohama tires. He showed me how the front edge of each raised segment was higher than the back edge.

The dealer was willing to buy 2 if I buy the other two. Aside from an initial lack of interest on the part of the dealership and Lexus itself, I eventually contacted Cam Mayfield, service director. He was very helpful, and explained the reason for the 2 tires is that the Yokohamas are designed to give you just 15K to 20K miles because they're soft and quiet... that's it.

So I'm buying two, but I'm putting Bridgestone Turanza LS-V tires, that I've been very happy with. I'm still floored that the OEM tires should only last 20K miles or less.

George

Tire life depends on your driving. I will have to change mine when I hit 15K miles, but a buddy of mine still has his runflat Dunlopes still on with 33K miles. Corner hard and be prepared to pay. At least we have fun with our cars :D

My 06 GS 300 came with Dunlops. Replaced them at 12K paid for 2 dealer paid for 2.. then 15k later needed new tires. I bought Goodyear Eagle Response Edge VRs. Just got back from a 2500 mile trip, the tires were great.. quiet, great wet road traction, great dry road handling.. best of all, they come with 50k mile treadware warranty!!! The Dunlops did not.

Basically the OEM tires are ultra high performance tires, that are actaully over rated for the car. I do not think we wil hit 146mph in our GS's, so why do we need a W rated tire for for about 170mph?

• 2 weeks later...
My 06 GS 300 came with Dunlops. Replaced them at 12K paid for 2 dealer paid for 2.. then 15k later needed new tires. I bought Goodyear Eagle Response Edge VRs. Just got back from a 2500 mile trip, the tires were great.. quiet, great wet road traction, great dry road handling.. best of all, they come with 50k mile treadware warranty!!! The Dunlops did not.

Basically the OEM tires are ultra high performance tires, that are actaully over rated for the car. I do not think we wil hit 146mph in our GS's, so why do we need a W rated tire for for about 170mph?

The reason is that some people do hit similar speeds ;)

• 2 weeks later...

George

Killed my original Run Flat's at about 19K on my GS430. Luckly, they Ran Flat long enough for me to get to a tire shop for some new ones. Replaced with BF Goodrich g-Force sport. They seem to be holding up pretty well.

• 5 weeks later...

Do any of you rotate your tires? I bought my 06 AWD 300 pre-owned with about 12k miles on it, never bothered to rotate them, and they were shot at 31k miles...the ride felt horrible in the end... I just replaced them with a brand new Dunlop runflat...the previous ones are discontinued...the new ones have a crazy tread pattern...they look cool. They are 225/50 R17. I plan on rotating them every 5k miles, and we'll see how they last. Car feels awesome again....The dealer wanted $350 a tire, and I got them for $266 each out of a shop that I buy several sets of tires from a year...

post-51409-1188223090_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
:whistles: I use Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. It is much beter than the Dunlop RFT came with the vehicle. The OE Dunlop only last for 12K. I replaced it at 16K.

Those Michelins are the best tires made, I have them on my 06 Gs, now if I could only get a navigation in the damn thing...