Question About My Nre '07rxh

Hi All,

Just bought a '07 400h. Love the car thus far. A few questions though.

1.) I know the '06 RX had a recall (or just a recurring problem) between 35-40mph where it would stutter and vibrate. I noticed something similar, however when passing 40mph in my '07. I think it may be normal however, but here goes.

When I pass 40mph (usually accelerating onto a highway or in traffic), and if the dashboard shows both battery and engine power (not sure of the technical terms for it) the car makes a loud revving noise. It doesn't vibrate, however the noise is noticeable. Is this normal (an aspect of CVT or the hybrid system perhaps) or indicative of a larger problem. I am somewhat of a perfectionist so while others may not notice it, I would.

2.) My Bluetooth connection drops constantly. I have a V3 razr and the in-dash system I have is Gen5 with 6.1 software in it. Often in a call the display will say "call terminated by network" but I can continue it on my phone. This often happens when I begin to loose network coverage. However it has happened in other places.

3.) I get wildly varying gas mileage. At first it was 20mpg, now with 90% city driving and often less than 2 mile trips (Boston driving) it drops from 12.8 to 17.3 mpg. I think this is probably normal and is indicitive of my driving style (rev the engine to pass other cars) and plenty of sitting in a car while not moving. Perhaps I should allow the battery to drive the car more?

Lastly I love this car, how are others loving the '07s?

congrats on your 400h we know why you love it. regarding issue one, the cvt transmission in this vehicle does not shift gears so the noise you hear is the engine revving under harder acceleration, it is normal. i cannot speak for the razr phone, however some dealers have a technical department that will help you with connectivity problems, my dealer does. 12 and 17 is not normal for an AVERAGE gas mileage over time, you may see this as a temporary reading for ACTUAL mileage as you are driving. Cooler weather does carry a hybrid penalty on mpg but it should always be over 20 mpg unless you drive without any regard to the hybrid system. As you surmise you will learn to drive in a more beneficial hybrid style as time goes on. Premium gas will also help mpg, and performance.

I believe the noise you are referring to is the the noise created by the electric motors, primarily when high-load conditions are present. The engine itself does not have to work as hard as the engine in an RX330 does.

By the way, your engine oil cannot reach its optimum temperature during a 2 mile trip. It may reach 100 degrees F, which is far from the fully warmed-up temperature of approx 200 F. Gas mileage WILL suffer until the temp has reached at least 160 F (6 miles or so).

Welcome to the group and enjoy that RX!

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just bought a '07 400h. Love the car thus far. A few questions though.

3.) I get wildly varying gas mileage. At first it was 20mpg, now with 90% city driving and often less than 2 mile trips (Boston driving) it drops from 12.8 to 17.3 mpg. I think this is probably normal and is indicitive of my driving style (rev the engine to pass other cars) and plenty of sitting in a car while not moving. Perhaps I should allow the battery to drive the car more?

Lastly I love this car, how are others loving the '07s?

After 15K of miles of driving and experimenting on our 06 rxh, my mileage philosophy goes like this:

No one cuts roast beef paper thin, by hand, like they do on the meat slice machine at a deli. But it CAN be done. It takes a ton of practice. Same with mileage. Practice, and you WILL get great, if you want to be that anal / obsessive about it. My wife only gets 26mpg. I beat the EPA, and often get 31.8mpg. But since my wife drives most of the time, its 26