Suspicious Deal!

I recently was in the market for a 05 gs430. After calling 12 Lexus dealerships to no avail, i found one a state away. I'll cut right to the chase. Everything about this deal seemed too good to be true. The dealer informed me the car only has 500 MILES ON IT. Next he told me that it was fully loaded with NAV and Mark Lev. I was pretty excited at this point then he said it : The car is NOT used its a 2005 "leftover", He claimed the car got "lost in the shuffle" that it was just sitting at the dealerships other lot and they didnt even know they had it! So i drive to the dealership and haggle about price $41,000 bottom line. Since its considered a new car i get the 4year warrenty. Is this deal too good? Should i think that theres something wrong with this car or do they just want to get rid of it?

Its from a lexus dealership and also has a clean carfax.

Test drive went normal and car lookes great.

Please let me know what you think

Myself, I would check it thoroughly for any evidence of repairs. It is possible to have a "new" or "nearly new" vehicle with low miles come up for sale and be perfect in every way. I see vehicles fitting this description all the time. Every now and again, when I'm not looking, I miss that a panel may have been painted or more extensive problems may exist but be well hidden.

Bottom line, go over it with a fine tooth comb. If you're not comfortable looking the body over, test drive it to a shop you trust and have them take a look.

Personally, about the "lost in the shuffle comment." I would feel like that is B.S. Dealers, especially medium to large sized, multi-lot new car dealers know exactly what they have in inventory and where each car is. The software that manages the stock will always try to move the oldest vehicles first. It's almost impossible to lose a $40,000.00 item in inventory.

Have them show the service history. See if it was prepped for delivery at that dealership. Sometimes the dealers are offered cars from the manufacturer that were dealer rep cars or damaged in shipping. If it sat for a long time. Have them change the tires and carefully inspect the paint for acid rain damage. The tires have certainly lost there round ness from sitting.

Have them show the service history. See if it was prepped for delivery at that dealership. Sometimes the dealers are offered cars from the manufacturer that were dealer rep cars or damaged in shipping. If it sat for a long time. Have them change the tires and carefully inspect the paint for acid rain damage. The tires have certainly lost there round ness from sitting.

I agree that a full and thorough inspection is in order. New tires and a complete detailing should be done also.

FYI your 4 year warranty probably already started...I believe that it starts when the first service was done on the car. At least thats what my dealer told me...i bought my car used, but the warranty date was a month or 2 before the actual sell date...

Funny you say this because on the sticker in the window of the car, the bottom right corner was torn off. That is where it would say if it was shipped to that dealership. I've also been searching the forum and heard alot of *BLEEP*ty feedback about this dealership.

ps thanx for all the info

My 2 cents...

So long as there isn't any damage to the car (you have done the Carfax), it's probably as sure a thing as any other vehicle for sale. What could be wrong with it that couldn't also be wrong with any other car? Take it to an independent Lexus mecahnic for a pre purchase check. If the money is right, it sounds fine. No worries.

like stated above, i find it hard to believe a 05 GS430 could be forgotten. also the engine may not be in tip top shape if its just been sitting and never started or driven in a long time. a better option in my opinion would be to go with a new GS350. 303 hp i believe is more than what the prev gen GS430 had.

FYI your 4 year warranty probably already started...I believe that it starts when the first service was done on the car. At least thats what my dealer told me...i bought my car used, but the warranty date was a month or 2 before the actual sell date...

the warranty starts from the "in service date" this is the date the car left the dealership to the first owner. this had nothing to do with when the car was serviced.

The salesman is a scum-sucking bottom feeder. Regardless, the car is the car. Two different things. Don't confuse his stupidity as having anything to do with the car. So if the car checks out, buy it.

The tires will be perfectly fine. If you try to claim they are "out of round" you will sound to him and his compatriates as stupid as he sounds to you.

I just had a sales person from another lexus dealership run the vin and he pulled up that the car was sold then brought back (never registered). He said dealerships sometimes do this to avoid paying Lot charges or fees.

I just had a sales person from another lexus dealership run the vin and he pulled up that the car was sold then brought back (never registered). He said dealerships sometimes do this to avoid paying Lot charges or fees.

so did you end up buying it or did you move on?