Can I Disconnect The Head Unit And Hook Up A Low Line

Micah

Hi,

I'm considering eliminating my factory head unit since I cannot hook up my ipod to it (tape deck out and don't want an fm modulator). Is there a way to hook up a low level input to the factory amps or are they speaker level inputs on the amp? Thanks!

nope

dissapointinly enough, by replacing any piece of that sound system it all has to go because the nakamichi will not work with the other pieces

i woulda kept my sound system because its an amazing stock one, but the ipod thing was an issue with me as well, hence the reason i posted a topic about me selling my system

its either all stock or all after market

hope that helps

Unfortunately, I have no changer. It was removed before I bought the car. Decided to go in totally different direction. . .carputer for gps, mp3, xm radio, and dvd. The screen should be molded to look just like the factory head unit when its done (I'll trim it down or have someone else do it for me). Hopefully, It will look pretty much factory when done. I was hoping, though, to be able to use the factory amps to save some on the installation.

Does anyone know why the factory amps can't be used with aftermarket devices? Is it b/c they don't have low level inputs or b/c they communicate somehow with the factory HU?

One other question, It the wiring diagram, the amp has pretty much what any aftermarket amp would have wiring wise except for something called +B 12V from Radio Fuse 1. What is this for, and why are there 3 12 v positive connections? I know two of them, one for remote turn on and one for main power, but why the extra power outlet?

The Factory amps looks like it would be able to run with aftermarket HU. I don't know if there is a difference, but my old LS400 still ran the stock amp, and aftermarket HU.

I don't see the 3rd +12v wire. I only see 2. Can you give me the names of the 3 +12v wire? You mentioned +B, that is constant power/main power.

Mike

There are 2 positive at the input connector for the amp (+12v ACC from radio fuse 2, and +12v from Radio A1) and one in the output connector (+B 12v from Radio Fuse 1). Here's the link that shows the connections: http://www.intellexual.net/faq/lexusstereo.swf

I have a touchscreen (that will be modified to match the radio's shape) and a laptop to construct a carputer from. Do you know whether the amps will accept low level input or they take speaker level input? Is there a way to test this with a voltage meter or ohm meter? Thanks for the assistance!

when i say that it cant be done...

thats the expert sound install guy at a local place near my house that has won tons of awards and this guy in particular used to own the car and is a lexus fanboy

so i mean... i wouldnt take a whim trusting that it will work, just go into some shop and have them check it out, if u give them a good interest in one of their amps they will do it for free and let u kno