I’m Losing Confidence With Our Es 350

herES350

My wife purchased a 2007 ES 350 in June. After 600 miles the transmission goes south. Lexus tells her there is a known problem with some of the transmissions because of a snap ring improperly installed on the second gear clutch pack. They were very apologetic about to and offered her two choices a new transmission or a new car. WOW that’s great customer service. She waited over a month and the new car arrives and all is well. One of the main reasons you buy a Lexus is reliability and dependability. Well I’m beginning to wonder. We need to take it in for a few minor problems (interior light out and one channel of the home link will not transmit.) The trip to Lexus is not a short one and this is getting annoying. At 1000 miles I notice an oil spot on the garage floor and crawl under it to find power steering fluid dripping from the power steering pump. Great more aggravation. We take it in and they say they have never seen anything like it and the Lexus Technical want to come out and look at it and they will be here in two days. At this point we are losing confidence in the car and are starting to fell that we made a mistake. How do you think we should be compensated for our time and aggravation? I’m thinking an extended warrantee for sure and maybe also a set of chrome wheels. What do you think? :( :(

Well, this is why I never buy the first run of a new model...even a Lexus. These kinds of things sound like quality line issues, and they'll be repaired by mid run 07 and 08.

They replaced the car over the transmission, which was tremendous. The homelink thing is a little gremlin (Lexus doesn't even manufacture the Homelink, its an independent company's unit), the P/S pump unit is odd, and I've never heard anybody mention that issue before.

I'm not sure that they owe you anything though to be quite honest. They'll fix the issues under warranty, most dealers have free pickup and dropoff for service, have you asked about that? The Lexus is a machine, and while it is a well built and reliable machine it is a machine and to expect it to never have any issues isn't realistic. A faulty Homelink transmitter and a small P/S pump leak which is probably a faulty pump are hardly inexcusable issues.

I've had my ES since it was new, it has over 80k on it now. Has it been perfect? No. There were several fairly sizable warranty issues that were repaired when it was newer. It is however the most solid and best riding 80k+ mile car I've ever experienced. Lexus has ALWAYS repaired my warranty issues properly the first time and has always gone above and beyond to make me happy. It sounds like the same is true for you, I don't know how much more you can ask for.

I agree, they're having teething issues with it. It's not out of the ordinary with any completely new car platform. If you don't believe it, go look & see! I do agree it's becomming abit annoying on that car in particular...

Find another company that will actually send techs to the car to inspect a new problem & you'll be doing real well.

Update: I just got off the phone with the Service Manager. The oil that is dripping off the bottom of the power steering pump is engine oil. The front timing cover is leaking and a 3 person team of powertrain engineers is coming out to investigate. He offered me a 7 year 1000,000 mile extended warrantee and I accepted it. I asked for the chrome wheels and he said no problem. I hope this is the end of our problems. If not I’ll buy a Ford.

Wow, what a dealer! Hang onto them, they're definately working hard to make sure you're satisfied with your purchase. That warranty is worth $1500, and the wheels are worth $1500 too. You honestly will not find another company out there that will replace a car for a repairable transmission issue and comp you $3,000 worth of accessories for two very minor issues like that.

As for buying a Ford...heh...I came to Lexus from Ford. I had a wonderful Ford service advisor, but you will NEVER recieve that kind of service, or the reliability and quality you get from the Lexus as a vehicle from Ford. My family has owned Fords for as long as I've been alive and believe me, there is no comparison.

As a matter of fact our last Ford purchase came 5 months before our first Lexus purchase. My dad had a 98 LS400 for 160k miles with no problems and it still rode and looked brand new when he traded it on the 04 LS430 he has now. My mother drove Fords for 25 years straight, now she has an Infiniti FX35. No more Fords for them.

Its not that Ford doesn't make a good car, they do make reasonably good cars. Its just that nothing ages like a Lexus. They get better as they get older, like a pair of really high quality shoes or gloves. Fords just get old, rattley, smelly, and unreliable.

I can't promise you you'll never need to have a repair done to your Lexus (at least now you wont have to pay for any of them for the better part of a decade), but if you maintain it and get things done when they need to be done, it will be as nice a vehicle to drive and enjoy 200,000 miles from now as it is today.

Honestly, if I were in that situation I too would expect extended warranty and another sort of perk such as chromes, especially from a lexus dealer. Sure its a machine and all, but 3 issues with two brand new cars and frequent trips to the dealer is what I would most probaly define as unacceptable. The leak and the transmission that is, the homelink thing is perfectly acceptable although highly undesirable. This coming from someone who has purchased two brand new first year cars.

You think a leak is unnaceptable? Boy do I have some new car problem stories for you...

These things just happen. The dealer is more than willing to do right by him for it, I see no issue.

If you "expect" $3,000 in free goodies because your new car had a leak that was repaired under warranty you're going to be seriously dissapointed by nearly every car company and car dealership on earth.

WOW this is the kind of story dreams are made of.

You have a dealer bending over for you and i believe they need to be to some point but you are really getting a good run with them.

Personally i would just ask them to get a tow truck to start dropping off a loaner and picking up the car when it needs warranty problems from now on. I am sure they will look after it and it would save any more problems.

You think a leak is unnaceptable? Boy do I have some new car problem stories for you...

These things just happen. The dealer is more than willing to do right by him for it, I see no issue.

If you "expect" $3,000 in free goodies because your new car had a leak that was repaired under warranty you're going to be seriously dissapointed by nearly every car company and car dealership on earth.

Well you may have misinterpreted me; most likely my fault for bad wording. It's just you find yourself really mad when you have to repeatedly go back the the dealership. Usually I do not get 7 year warranties or chrome wheels in these types of experiences. However in this kinda situation, some people do expect something, but if they dont get it they just move on. New car problem stories are always fun... Took my year old bmw x3 to vegas, fuel pump malfunctioned, and the car stalled when i was in the fast lane. towed it into vegas. left the car there for repairs drove a rental back and then got the car back about 4 days after.

Wow. I think people expect too much from new cars. My dad just towed an 07 5-series. Somthing like a computer failure that shut the car off in the middle of the downtown connecter (I-85/75 merged, a 6 lane highway in Atlanta).

No offense but, a leaky cover and a blown bulb is hardly a concern. Especially with all the freebies your getting. Lexus changed the way luxury car owners were treated. They've had so much success with that philosophy that i really doubt they are going to stray from it now.

isnt the 5 series known for computer failures? its scary when ur engine stops accelerating and you have to get to the shoulder while going through the truck lane. cant imagine if you were in the left lane of a 6 lane freeway where the left shoulder was too small.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Update: I just got off the phone with the Service Manager. The oil that is dripping off the bottom of the power steering pump is engine oil. The front timing cover is leaking and a 3 person team of powertrain engineers is coming out to investigate. He offered me a 7 year 1000,000 mile extended warrantee and I accepted it. I asked for the chrome wheels and he said no problem. I hope this is the end of our problems. If not I’ll buy a Ford.

Do you have that seal yet? I have the same problem with my 07 ES 350 and neither the dealer or Lexus US can give me a date when the replacement seal will be available. (It's been in the shop 2 weeks now!) I suspect that Lexus is doing some sort of re-design here, and that's the reason for the delay.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this is why I never buy the first run of a new model...even a Lexus. These kinds of things sound like quality line issues, and they'll be repaired by mid run 07 and 08.

Well said Steve.....couldn't agree more.

:cheers:

Well you may have misinterpreted me; most likely my fault for bad wording. It's just you find yourself really mad when you have to repeatedly go back the the dealership. Usually I do not get 7 year warranties or chrome wheels in these types of experiences. However in this kinda situation, some people do expect something, but if they dont get it they just move on. New car problem stories are always fun... Took my year old bmw x3 to vegas, fuel pump malfunctioned, and the car stalled when i was in the fast lane. towed it into vegas. left the car there for repairs drove a rental back and then got the car back about 4 days after.

Believe me you paid dearly for these items in advance. I'll bet at least $5000 was included in the msrp to take care of things like this.

if u honestly think BMW sets aside 5K for failures and towing charges then u should get a reality check.

I don't think they set anything aside. I think that the ? amount is figured in the msrp. I read somwhere that the average Mercedes warranty cost is figured at over $10,000. Sounds high to me but who knows. How much gross profit do you think they make on each car?

its no breakthrough that some warranty costs are figured into MSRP, however i doubt the # is $5,000.

It's ;ogical that all warranty costs are figured in MSRP. What cost or percentage is not forthcoming from them. I would think with the ease of Lexus dealers to make you happy it is a very substantial sum you pay in advance.

i know one thing that bmw figures in and that's all the free brake repair. guess owners got tired of $800 brake tickets one year into ownership.

i always thought that said a lot about a lexus. they don't have to include any freebies like a lot of euros do to sell their cars.