Gas Milage?

mikecolorama

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i use 93 octane and have gotten 24 mpg with combination of hwy and local driving

i use 91+ and get about 21 overall with highway and city driving. hard acceleration always. I would not use 87 in my IS. The engine has anti-knock sensors to protect it from damage. but you lose power.

I thought anti-knock retards the timing, and therefore you should get better milage, but I could be wrong.

i use 93 octane and have gotten 24 mpg with combination of hwy and local driving

i use 91+ and get about 21 overall with highway and city driving. hard acceleration always. I would not use 87 in my IS. The engine has anti-knock sensors to protect it from damage. but you lose power.

I thought anti-knock retards the timing, and therefore you should get better milage, but I could be wrong.

here's something interesting :)

I get 23 when driving like grandma and 24 when driving normally...seems there are sweet spots to be had depending on rpm's

I just thought I would post this since mpg seems to be a popular topic and search.

I recently changed the oil in my is300 from Valvoline the Toyota dealer put in it to Mobile 1 synthetic. In doing this I went from an average of 24mpg to 25mpg combined driving.

I would be interested to know if anyone has mpg gains to report after changing the catback exhaust.

Dave

• 1 month later...

what kind of gas milage should i expect from my 01 IS 300? i'm getting about 18 with a lot of freeway driving. also, should i be using 91 octane? i'm currently using 87. thanks, mike

You should really use 91 or higher octane. Your owners manual should say this and so does the gas cap area. You would get better gas mileage too.

Im sure your car is retarding the timing as much as possible to compensate for the low octane gas. What you will notice with better gas is better response and power plus more fuel effenciency if you dont drive with a lead foot. :)