Complicated Nav System

tsalagi

Am I brain dead or is this sysetm complicated?????? Word has it you can voice command a/c system but I can't find anything on it. I have a call into dealer on this. No response as yet. Also, RX forum verifies no secret code to overide Nav system in 2007 vehciles, while vehicle is moving. Maybe there are a whole bunch of voice commands that will make changes w/o manually changing the screen. Any thoughts from you long time gurus? I beleive it is what it is. On the plus side, it is a great ride and for full time 4wd the mileage is acceptable in comparison to other vehicles (19-20 on highway, 65-75 mph) using old fashioned, brain dead math. Don't trust the computer mileage.....it ain't right.

Am I brain dead or is this sysetm complicated?????? Word has it you can voice command a/c system but I can't find anything on it. I have a call into dealer on this. No response as yet. Also, RX forum verifies no secret code to overide Nav system in 2007 vehciles, while vehicle is moving. Maybe there are a whole bunch of voice commands that will make changes w/o manually changing the screen. Any thoughts from you long time gurus? I beleive it is what it is. On the plus side, it is a great ride and for full time 4wd the mileage is acceptable in comparison to other vehicles (19-20 on highway, 65-75 mph) using old fashioned, brain dead math. Don't trust the computer mileage.....it ain't right.

My education prepared me to BEGIN to understand the damn thing. I've probably put in 20 hours trying to get the basics down. The system is completely counter-intuitive.

My Lexus Dealer, Lexus of Charleston, SC has SUCKED, I never got a walk thru of the car, and I end up punching in the roof button that gets me to customer support more than I want to explain. I've asked them to help me with the bluetooth and NAV system, I get blank stares. I've called MOM AND DAD LEXUS in CA and am hoping that they put enough pressure on the dealer to get them to explain the car to me.

I think you've got to have a significant lack of computer savvy to think the Lexus nav system is complicated. Bluetooth is equally simple depending on your phone. Voice commands are worthless.

No offense, but thats the truth. I have two Toyota/Lexus nav systems. I have the gen III system in the ES, and the gen IV system in the Prius, which is identical to the system in post mid 2004 GX's. The gen IV system is more counter-intuitive than the gen III system, but its hardly complicated. In fact, as car navigation systems go they don't get much simpler than this. Acuras is more simple, maybe, but sit in a BMW or Mercedes, the Lexus has a great system and has won many awards for it.

You just need to take a little time with it and calm down. You're never going to learn how to use it if you keep getting all wound up about it. I figured out the system in mine in about 15 minutes, and it took me about that long to understand the differences in the gen IV system. I have no training and little experience with computers. There's nothing wrong with not understanding computers, many people don't. The issue however is not with the system.

What specific things are you having problems with? Maybe I can help.

I think you've got to have a significant lack of computer savvy to think the Lexus nav system is complicated

and thats the nice way of putting it ;)

i dont find it particularly hard to use, infact i think its easy. dont even bother with the voice commands, if you can figure which ones and can memorize them, it will take you a few years to "pronounce" them correctly for the car to understand

I agree with the above 2 posts!

Me...too!

I think the Nav systems are pretty easy...I also have used the Gen 3 and Gen 4...I like the look of the 4 much better... :D

is gen 4 the one with the new blue (or gold)backgrounds?

im getting tired of looking at that brown and tan background in my gen 3 nav. sigh...lol

when i got my loaner rx350 with the new gen nav, i have to admit it was a little harder to use and get used to. but no biggie really

The Gen IV has the green buttons. You and I have the same gen III system. The RX350 has a gen VI system! The Gen IV in the Prius trips me up when I use it, but its probably because I'm so used to mine, Carla has no problems.

My only concern about the darker buttons is the possibility of burn in over time...

• 2 months later...

the sad truth is that it is both complicated and easy. compared to something like a TV, using a nav is complicated. compared to pretty much any other system out there, the Lexus nav is way, way better and more intuitive (at least to me).

I recently test drove a Mercedes and I had to stop and go back in to get them to show me how to make the system work.

When I had a new ES350 with bluetooth enabled I got my bluetooth phone working while I was stuck in traffic w/o having to do anything except guess what the logical next step was (starting with pushing the voice activation and saying "phone").

my perspective is admitedly a bit skewed -- I've been working at a major sw company for > 16 years...

I guess it's time for my input on this issue. The Lexus NAV Gen 5 has a great graphic quality and very good detail. The user interface is quite good when you are parked; however, it has no value when driving. The voice commands only have about 130 on the list and the computer can only hear understand them when you are in a very quite are and little to no car noise. The voice commands do not have any value as they only work when you are at the correct screen as the computer is not smart enough to change the display to the correct screen.

The route preview is very good and fun to show off to your friends and family. It is really not that easy to learn as I come from owing a 2003 Honda Accord with their 3rd Gen NAV.

Let me give you an example of the Honda NAV.

All voice commands work regardless of road noise. Any person can use it with "NO TRAINING"!. What you think and say works and below are just a few examples and all are when driving down the highway!

a. Find the nearest gas station! A list is displayed showing in order the closest, arrow and direction from your current position. You can then say to display the nearest or just say which one you would like. Yes, Lexus will show you a list if you stop the car.

b. Find nearest Gas Station, Hospital, ATM, American Resturant, Fast Food Resturant, Golf Course, ... the list is about 300 just for this category.

c. What time is it, AM Radion On, FM Radion On, RM Station 1, 2, 3 etc. CD Play disk 1, 2, 3. Passenger temperature 65 degrees, Temperature 70 degrees. How long or how far to destination.

You would never need a manual to use this. Say what you think and it displays it with very few exceptions. I am surprised that Lexus/Toyota did not learn how easy the NAV should be not to mention the lack of being able to use it if your driving.

The other day I took a 300 mile trip and wanted to find a rest area. I had to pull off the highway and plot a course to the nearest rest area even with the passenger in control of the NAV. Yes, I know that Lexus/Toyota are concerned about safety. If that's the case then why did Honda/Acura figure out how to use a voice command list that is so extensive and works in all noise conditions.

Well, that's about all I have to say about this. I am so tired of the Lexus hype. It's a good car but as all things, it's not the best from bumper to bumper. What can I say, hype sells!

Happy New Year!

I guess it's time for my input on this issue. The Lexus NAV Gen 5 has a great graphic quality and very good detail. The user interface is quite good when you are parked; however, it has no value when driving. The voice commands only have about 130 on the list and the computer can only hear understand them when you are in a very quite are and little to no car noise. The voice commands do not have any value as they only work when you are at the correct screen as the computer is not smart enough to change the display to the correct screen.

The route preview is very good and fun to show off to your friends and family. It is really not that easy to learn as I come from owing a 2003 Honda Accord with their 3rd Gen NAV.

Let me give you an example of the Honda NAV.

All voice commands work regardless of road noise. Any person can use it with "NO TRAINING"!. What you think and say works and below are just a few examples and all are when driving down the highway!

a. Find the nearest gas station! A list is displayed showing in order the closest, arrow and direction from your current position. You can then say to display the nearest or just say which one you would like. Yes, Lexus will show you a list if you stop the car.

b. Find nearest Gas Station, Hospital, ATM, American Resturant, Fast Food Resturant, Golf Course, ... the list is about 300 just for this category.

c. What time is it, AM Radion On, FM Radion On, RM Station 1, 2, 3 etc. CD Play disk 1, 2, 3. Passenger temperature 65 degrees, Temperature 70 degrees. How long or how far to destination.

You would never need a manual to use this. Say what you think and it displays it with very few exceptions. I am surprised that Lexus/Toyota did not learn how easy the NAV should be not to mention the lack of being able to use it if your driving.

The other day I took a 300 mile trip and wanted to find a rest area. I had to pull off the highway and plot a course to the nearest rest area even with the passenger in control of the NAV. Yes, I know that Lexus/Toyota are concerned about safety. If that's the case then why did Honda/Acura figure out how to use a voice command list that is so extensive and works in all noise conditions.

Well, that's about all I have to say about this. I am so tired of the Lexus hype. It's a good car but as all things, it's not the best from bumper to bumper. What can I say, hype sells!

Happy New Year!

Hmmm? Sounds like you need to have your navigation system checked out. The one in my 07 GX understands me pretty well. And the Honda ones aren't that great either. I took a demo ride in the new 07 Acura MDX and the voice recognition in it had a very tough time trying to understand my salesmans commands. And the MDX unit isn't touch screen which is a big PITA.

what i dont like on my lexus nav is i cant input any dealership besides toyota and lexus. i have to call somebody to check and give me the address of an acura dealership. but i think even the acura nav doesnt have any lexus address. sounds fair not to us...