P.s. Fluid Steering Rack Filter

I tried so hard this weekend to get to the solenoid on the steering rack (which houses the steering fluid screen/filter), but to no avail. :cries: The only grip I could get on it (to unscrew it) was with a pair or vice grips directly on the solenoid canister - instead of the hex-bolt piece at the top of the solenoid canister that you're supposed to unscrew it by.

Well, I had a good enough grip to turn it, but just felt too unsure about shearing it off at the nut because everytime I turned the canister a 1/4" or so, the nut wouldn't turn with it. So I figured I'd better not force it, otherwise I may just end up twisting/ripping the solenoid right off the nut that holds it on the the steering rack. Problem is, there seems to be absolutely no way to get any type of tool around the nut at the top of the solenoid.

I know some of you have done this before, because I've read posts about cleaning this filter. Problem is, this is one of those parts that's just not at all easy to get to. Can anybody provide some direction here? Should I be removing something else first to get to it? :(

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

If you still need help with this, you just need to unscrew the 3 screws at the bottom of the bracket that is holding on the Reservoir, the bracked will come off with it this is ok & should stay attached. Also, the hoses are sometimes tight & you will need something to catch the fluid coming out of the two hoses attached when you disconnect them. Also, don't forget to bleed the air out of the lines by leaving your cap off the reservoir & turning your wheel back & forth over & over all the way with the car off the ground once you put it back together.

If you still need help with this, you just need to unscrew the 3 screws at the bottom of the bracket that is holding on the Reservoir, the bracked will come off with it this is ok & should stay attached. Also, the hoses are sometimes tight & you will need something to catch the fluid coming out of the two hoses attached when you disconnect them. Also, don't forget to bleed the air out of the lines by leaving your cap off the reservoir & turning your wheel back & forth over & over all the way with the car off the ground once you put it back together.

Thanks. Until now, I had totally given up on this. I'll try this out as soon as the temps up here (in Michigan) come out of the 20's.

Also, if you havn't done it already which you probably have. You should be able to remove the Radiator reservoir out of the way without disconnecting any hoses to it, it'll make reaching the bolts much easier. :)

Okay, now I'm really confused. The part that I THOUGHT was the solenoid is attched to the steering rack on the driver's side (reachable only from underneath the car - it can't even be SEEN from above). But you're telling me that moving the coolant resevior (which is on the passenger side) will allow me access to the solenoid from above? :huh:

Do you have any photos you could post? Because now I'm just plain puzzled.

Super, since our engines are pretty much the same, check out this thread below. It has pictures, and I believe it discusses the reverse threading of the solenoid.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...24775&st=75

Super, since our engines are pretty much the same, check out this thread below. It has pictures, and I believe it discusses the reverse threading of the solenoid.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...24775&st=75

Great pics NC! I had searched before and seen some similar photos, but not quite this detailed. If nothing else, I foud out from that thread that I had been turning the wrong way. I just figured it was suppossed to turn counterclockwise to come off like any other screw connection.

I noticed you had your car up on ramps. That certainly gets the car a bit higher off the ground than your average height jack-stands. But did you find it pretty easy to work on things withough having the driver's side wheel off?