Hd Tv's

nc211

Believe me, DLPs are in no way shape or form brighter than Plasmas, its very much the other way around.

P.S. My next venture will be a Blue-Ray DVD player, but I'm going to wait a bit until they come down in price.

I want one too. What do you think about Blu-Ray vs HD/DVD? I want to buy one, HD/DVD is definately cheaper but one of the two is going to win out the HD disc market, and I don't want to get stuck with the one that loses.

Its kind of like VHS vs Betamax lol

I know Blu-Ray is capable of 1080i, but since I have a Plasma it really doesn't make a difference.

In October, 2004 I was invited to a private showing of a Blu-Ray DVD player at Sony Style in NYC. I was truly impressed with the image quality that I saw on one of their front projection sets($40,000). They said that the Blu-Ray players would not be available for about 1 year....they finally are available, but it's closer to 2 years. It would take me too long to discuss the pro's & con's of one format over the other, but I made up my mind that I want the Blu-Ray......after all, I'm a Sony guy. :)

BTW: Years ago I owned Betamax recorders, and I always felt that they were a better format than VHS. ;)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BTW: Years ago I owned Betamax recorders, and I always felt that they were a better format than VHS. ;)

I don't doubt it, but they didn't win out in the battle of the formats. I want the product that I'll still be able to use down the road.

I don't doubt it, but they didn't win out in the battle of the formats. I want the product that I'll still be able to use down the road.

The way new technologies are thrust upon us......it's going to be a pretty short road. LOL

There was only one reason why Betamax lost out to VHS, and that was because you were able to get longer recording times on VHS, even though the quality of the recording was inferior. The general public didn't seem to mind, but the professionals used Betamax for many years as their standard!

It reminds me of the mindset of Lexus owners.....They wanted a bit more, and thus they chose LEXUS. heehee

Do NOT go with LCD or Plasma because these two have "burn in". When you're watching a non-HD station (basically 90% of the time) there are these black bars on the sides.

So much for "experts" :lol: This is such bullcrap... First off, all HDTV units show 4:3 television in the "wide screen" format and you don't need to have the black bars there... Second, assuming you watch any TV with black bars, including DLP, for thousands and thousands of hours, there may be some burn in on any TV.

The real answer is: it depends. If you're going above 50", DLP is fine. Below that, LCD offers the thin screens (very cool) and wonderful picture rendition. Plasma is OK too, but the screen life is somewhat lower.

Just go to the store and buy what you like. Just buy brand names, only... you get what you pay for...

Plasma is OK too, but the screen life is somewhat lower.

120,000 hours is lower?

Some people don't like the image distortion when stretching a broadcasts 4:3 image to full screen. I know I don't!

Niether do I, however my TV has a "super zoom" option that fills the screen without stretching the images TOO much, I still prefer 4:3.

There was only one reason why Betamax lost out to VHS, and that was because you were able to get longer recording times on VHS, even though the quality of the recording was inferior. The general public didn't seem to mind, but the professionals used Betamax for many years as their standard!

You would know much better than me, since I was watching the Care Bears when Betamax was around lol, but wasn't another reason that VHS was widely licsensed and Sony was very tight about who they would give a license for their Betamax technology to?

Sony didn't have any problems with licensing their Betamax format, but as I said, the original reason for it's demise was the limitations to record the longer lengths like the VHS machines.

Read this article and you'll see what I mean: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1401/betamax.html

I watched a documentary that talked about Sony being tight with licenses for Betamax.

That documentary was in HD BTW lol

What channel? I watch anything that's in HD. heehee

Really? Wow thats a shame, Discovery HD has some great programming...

Check with your provider...

They(Cablevision) have been lying to me about getting this channel in HD for years. :chairshot:

i used to have dish network but recently switched to direct tv...had dish network for years but my parents wanted different international (indian) channels....i hardly watch TV now because i have to search through the guide for five minutes to find MTV. i dont know any of the channel numbers any more. we get TNT HD, Discovery, ESPN, and PPV HD. i think we get a few more but thats all i can remember.

arg, i need to talk to my service provider. i have comcast digital cable (with the box under the Tv) and i DO NOT get an HD channels. i think i pay like something in the 50s...time to talk to a satelite company

You probably have the standard cable box. Call up comcast and find out how to exchange this box for a HD cable box. There shouldn't be any charges to do this.

arg, i need to talk to my service provider. i have comcast digital cable (with the box under the Tv) and i DO NOT get an HD channels. i think i pay like something in the 50s...time to talk to a satelite company

You have to get an HD box like Alan said.

Remember, you have to have an HDTV to watch HD programming also.

You have to get an HD box like Alan said.

Remember, you have to have an HDTV to watch HD programming also.

You can watch a HD program on a standard definition TV also, but it won't be in HD. I have an RF feed out of my SA8300HD DVR going to a little SDTV that's setup in my equipment rack. I use this as a monitor, so it's not important to reproduce these programs in HD.

okay...so far all i got is an HD ready tv. i think i can watch it on that...hopefully?

You can see an HD program in HD, but you'll have to use component cables for your hookup. Make sure you have an HD cable box, otherwise there won't be component outputs on the box. Look for, red, green, blue for the video, and red, white for the audio on the back of the box.