Hd Tv's

nc211

Need some help in the HD TV market, as I have no clue on these technologies. What is the best picture quality? LCD, Plasma or this Digital Light Processing 1080i stuff? I know the size differences in terms of depth, but what's the best picture? I'm thinking about a 42 inch in the coming months, and I have no clue what to look for. I've read CNET reviews of different TV's, and it seems like Panasonic and Pioneer are the front runners. I'm thinking of a budget range between $1,700 - $2,300. I've got all the surround stuff already, pioneer deck and Klipch surrounds, with a monster thumper sub "12in Pioneer". I like Pioneer myself, actually love them. As they say here in the south "go with pioneer, 'cause a million rednecks can't be wrong". Well, I agree. But, I also like Panasonic too. My current 27 in TV is a panasonic, and has always been awesome.

But anyway, back to topic....techies help explain this technology to me please? What's the best?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DLP.

Do NOT go with LCD or Plasma because these two have "burn in". When you're watching a non-HD station (basically 90% of the time) there are these black bars on the sides. When you DO watch a HD station or movie, you will see a "shadow" (after years go by) where those black bars usually are...

DLP is the one tech. that doesn't cause burn in. It's not as "thin" as the others, and does require a special ~$300 (?) bulb replacement every few years, but it's worth it! The picture is just as good, if not better in my opinion as well!

Trust me, 2 summers ago i was in your same position & went with a 60" DLP by Samsung. It's excellent!

I think its only that Plasma that "burns in" because thats what people told me last year when we were looking for a new TV. They said LCD wont do this but I ended up going with a Plasma. Im thinking, 4 or 5 years down the road, Id be getting somehow another tv so just go with the plasma. Besides, those Sony LCDs cost an arm and leg but they are really nice. I like our Panasonic Viera Plasma. So far no "burn in" yet. :whistles:

The DLP is great, disadvantage is there is an optimum viewing distance, too close and the picture is Ok, on my 50 inch about 10ft is perfect, closer and the picture is not stunning, but OK. 10 ft and out it is spetacular.

As for the bulb, well Samsung has launched LED on their DLP, but of course the cost is rediculous. You can find a 46 inch Samsung for 1500 or less. If you take consumers report or go to Library they have info on all projection sets (DLP and LCD) I like my Samsung, but Viewing angles is also a consideration. From the sides of the viewing angles, quality also decreases. Great set otherwise.

Thanks fellas.... The depth of the Plasma's is nice, but I'm not too concerned about that since I won't be mounting it on the wall. My father in law has a nice 42in sony lcd that he bought last Christmas. It is nice, but the one thing I don't like about it is the pixilation movement, edges just don't seem very smooth. I have not seen a dlp in person "i don't think", but I remember some guy at Circuit City saying that he recently traded from a plasma to the 1080i platform, and loved it. From what I can tell, the 1080i is the DLP technology?? Or am I wrong? The part about having to replace the light bulb, in all honesty, sounds a lot better to me than having to replace the entire TV when the plasma crystals start to go out and stuff like that. I'm assuming they do after about 6 or 7 years?? I've heard this mentioned before. The Burn-in is a definete concern, that's for sure. Just like back in the day when your computer monitor would do this if you left it sitting for too long w/o a "screen saver". But I don't think I've ever seen it before, but then again, I have not been around too many of these tv's either.

So from what it sounds like here, the DLP is Plasma quality, but w/o the burn in potential, and instead of replacing the entire unit, you just buy a new light bulb for it? You lose the slim design, but it's only about 18 inches deep. Here is a picture of my new living room where the TV is going to go. We're having a custom shelfing system built along the wall and corner, under the window. The TV will go on the shelf. That is the old owner's Tv, and man, what a picture! Football on that thing was amazing!

post-15797-1160401703_thumb.jpg

where would you find a DLP 42inch for that price range...lol

Check out CNET...they're all over the place, from $999 to $2,000+, in ranges of 42 in to 46 inch.

Ohh....this is going to drive me nuts, I can just feel it. Decisions decisions decisions......

Okay guys, I just bought one of these things, a 50" Philips HD Plasma. You know me, I did a LOT of research before I bought. Some good advice here, and some bad. I'm going to go through and add my thoughts to what others have said.

Do NOT go with LCD or Plasma because these two have "burn in". When you're watching a non-HD station (basically 90% of the time) there are these black bars on the sides. When you DO watch a HD station or movie, you will see a "shadow" (after years go by) where those black bars usually are...

Wrong. It is true that older Plasma sets were extremely prone to burn in, but with the ever increasing quality of the pixel sets and the advent of technologies like pixel shifting, this is MUCH less of an issue providing the TV is properly calibrated (picture and contrast are set WAY too high out of the box). You still need to be careful about pausing things for long periods of time, but its much less of an issue now. I've only had temporary ghosting of an image once on mine (had it 3 months), and it went away in 5 minutes of normal viewing. That was after 4 hours of playing a video game with a static radar display in one corner.

New sets also have special viewing modes for non-widescreen material, but I honestly wouldn't be worried about burn in on a properly calibrated modern plasma.

As for LCD, there are two kinds of LCD TVs, LCD projection and LCD flat panel. Burn in is no more of a problem on the LCD projection units than it is on a DLP or rear projection set, and its not an issue at all on an LCD flat panel.

DLP is the one tech. that doesn't cause burn in. It's not as "thin" as the others, and does require a special ~$300 (?) bulb replacement every few years, but it's worth it! The picture is just as good, if not better in my opinion as well!

That depends. I also looked heavily at DLP sets, mainly because they are so much cheaper than Plasma. DLP has some issues for the type of viewing I do. For one, the viewing angles on any projection set are nowhere near as wide as on a plasma or CRT tube. They also aren't as bright. Thats not a problem if the TV is in a dark room, but mine is in a bright room during the day, and a projection TV would wash out.

Plasmas and flat panel LCDs are also just a lot cooler looking, mounted on a wall or not. Nothing beats the "ooohhh" factor.

where would you find a DLP 42inch for that price range...lol

Wrong. DLP is one of the most affordable products in the HD TV market. He can have any DLP he wants for up to $2300, and he can have a LOT of Plasmas. The prices on these TVs have come down a lot.

i hear the texas intruments are good...i believe that use DLP as well

Texas Instruments does not make TVs, they did however invent the DLP technology and manufacture it for companies that actually make TVs.

all honesty, sounds a lot better to me than having to replace the entire TV when the plasma crystals start to go out and stuff like that. I'm assuming they do after about 6 or 7 years??

This is also commonly held fallacy. First of all, no such thing as Plasma "crystals". Plasma displays are made up of small individual pixels. Most modern Plasma displays have a half-life of 60,000 hours. If you left it on for 24 hours a day, thats 2500 days, or nearly 7 years. Now, thats the HALF LIFE, meaning the display will be half as bright. Adjust the settings, and you're good for 7 more years.

Now obviously you're not going to watch it 24 hours a day. The truth is, the TV will last you many years. Probably just as long as any other type of set.

I have not seen a dlp in person "i don't think", but I remember some guy at Circuit City saying that he recently traded from a plasma to the 1080i platform, and loved it. From what I can tell, the 1080i is the DLP technology??

Okay, this is where it gets confusing. My fiance's cousin and her fiance were just here visiting. They want a Plasma like ours, so we went shopping and I was just discussing all of this with them.

1080i and 720p are HD formats. All HD programming is one of the two. The "P" stands for progressively scanned and the "i" stands for interlaced video. They are two different ways of decoding information and processing it into video that you then watch on the screen. Here's an article discussing the differences, its complicated:

http://www.uemedia.net/CPC/digitalcinemama...ter_12216.shtml

Most Plasmas are incapable of displaying 1080i, there are a few that can but they are REALLY costly. DLP, LCD, and CRT all can. I went from a CRT that could display 1080i to a Plasma that could only display 720p and I haven't had any issues with picture quality so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

As far as what has the best picture, again that depends on what you're watching and where you're watching it. Believe it or not, old style CRT HD tubes still have the best pictures, but probably flat panel LCD is the best out of the other options, but they are really expensive and they still have some issues with black levels. DLPs are cheap, but they're not as sexy looking and they too have some issues with rainbow effects & black level, also problems with brightness and viewing angle.

IMHO, I think Plasmas still the all around winner. It doesn't have to be mounted on the wall either to look great, mine sits on a stand and looks teriffic. They're less expensive and come in larger sizes than flat panel LCDs, they're better looking, are brighter, and give more mounting options than DLPs.

As far as brands, probably the top 4 brands for picture quality from Plasmas are Pioneer, Panasonic, Philips, and Samsung in that order. I like the Pioneer sets, but they're expensive and IMHO not worth the premium over sets from Panasonic or Philips for the slight edge in quality. Philips sets have the Ambilight, which you either like or don't.

Hope that was helpful!

I'm already on my 3rd. Hi-Def TV, and this new model wipes away all my previous sets, as far as being able to reproduce great shadow detail. It's a 52" Sony Bravia XBR LCD. This set is used with a SA8300 DVR digital cable connection, and also a 7-1 Dolby Digital sound system that generates 180 watts per channel. Suffice it to say....my neighbors probably hate me. :)

What sets have you had previously Alan?

The new Sony XBR LCD sets are really nice. I found it interesting that Sony abandoned Plasma alltogether to go after flat panel LCDs.

I've been a Sony man ever since they started to produce electronic equipment. I love their technology!

My previous sets were a Sony 42" Hi-Def rear projection that I liked except for the lacking shadow detail, plus image falloff when you were viewing to the side. Then after about a year, I bought a Sony 32" Hi-Def LCD which I still use in the bedroom. I felt that this set(using component cables) gave me a very detailed image, but once again the shadow detail was slightly lacking. This new Bravia has overcome this limitation. The picture is absolutely gorgeous! Here I'm using an HDMI hookup(digital) which supposedly gives you the best reception.

Ahh, Ain't technology wonderful. LOL

P.S. My next venture will be a Blue-Ray DVD player, but I'm going to wait a bit until they come down in price.

couple years ago me and my dad set out on an adventure for the perfect TV, we loved the sony XBR plasmas (back when they still made em) but they were 11k, little over our price range so we bought the 42" pioneer pro elite. it looks great on the wall and has awsome pic quality. DLPs seem brighter. LCD are pretty good too. i like plasmas. are you thinking about getting a sound system with it?

Steve.... you need to start your own magazine. Real estate is your second calling.... consumer reviews is your first! Thanks for the very helpful information amigo!

I went by Circuit City on my way home today to take a look..... It's going to be a Plasma TV. I know what you mean about viewing angles now on some of the others, and brightness settings. I think it's going to be a Panasonic model. I love the Pioneers, but they're a good bit more, and to me, the difference in screen characteristics don't justify the cost difference. The sales guy said the same thing you did about the life span. I don't think I would survive in general if I had to watch TV 24/7. So, now it's time to figure out this HMDI stuff and all of that... We have Time Warner here in Raleigh. I was told that I want a TV that has the cable card insert, so I could bypass the need for the cable box. I assume that's correct? One less remote control in my life would be great! I've got one of those Radio Shack 7/1 remotes that lights up, and I love that thing!!

India, I've got the sound system already. Lightening hit the house last fall, and took out my old JVC receiver, and blew the sub's internal amp. So I bought a nice Pioneer with all the digital connections, 7.1 surround, and more damn lights and options than you can shake a stick at. It actually has a microphone you place in your preferred sitting area, press a button, and it spends the next 5 minutes making wierd noises through all the speakers... End result is one amazing imagery of sound! I've got a 5 set of Klipsch speakers, two Infiniti back speakers, and had the sub fixed, which is a 300 watt, 12 inch Pioneer. That thing THUMPS. Actually shook one of the gutter downspouts looose on the house. Doesn't say much for the house though, does it...

Believe me, DLPs are in no way shape or form brighter than Plasmas, its very much the other way around.

P.S. My next venture will be a Blue-Ray DVD player, but I'm going to wait a bit until they come down in price.

I want one too. What do you think about Blu-Ray vs HD/DVD? I want to buy one, HD/DVD is definately cheaper but one of the two is going to win out the HD disc market, and I don't want to get stuck with the one that loses.

Its kind of like VHS vs Betamax lol

I know Blu-Ray is capable of 1080i, but since I have a Plasma it really doesn't make a difference.

Steve.... you need to start your own magazine. Real estate is your second calling.... consumer reviews is your first! Thanks for the very helpful information amigo!

LOL, thanks! I love writing things like that, when I was younger I wanted to be an editior for a car magazine.

I went by Circuit City on my way home today to take a look..... It's going to be a Plasma TV. I know what you mean about viewing angles now on some of the others, and brightness settings. I think it's going to be a Panasonic model. I love the Pioneers, but they're a good bit more, and to me, the difference in screen characteristics don't justify the cost difference. The sales guy said the same thing you did about the life span. I don't think I would survive in general if I had to watch TV 24/7. So, now it's time to figure out this HMDI stuff and all of that... We have Time Warner here in Raleigh. I was told that I want a TV that has the cable card insert, so I could bypass the need for the cable box. I assume that's correct? One less remote control in my life would be great! I've got one of those Radio Shack 7/1 remotes that lights up, and I love that thing!!

Before you buy the Panasonic (I was very close to buying that set, I assume its the same set) swing by Best Buy and look at the Philips model they have, its on sale right now for $2699 for 50' and $1899 for 42'. I chose it over the Panasonic because the picture was just as good, but to my eye the actual case of the TV looked better, and it has a classier glass stand vs the plastic one that comes with the Panasonic. They sell the same TV at Circuit City, but you have to buy it online.

I think this is the Panasonic you're thinking about:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1134703131623

This is the Philips that I bought, just in 42" (mines a 50")

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1138085296194

You might want to think about the Philips also because of the Ambilight. I originally thought it was a gimmick, but Carla liked it. Now that we have it, it really does add to the experience and it seems very cold when we turn it off.

Another thing you might want to think about is size. You can get a 50" for pretty damn close to your budget, and Best Buy has 12 month 0% financing right now. If your main seating position is 14' or more from the TV, you should think about a 50".

As for cables, HDMI is important for hooking up your cable box and, if applicable, HD DVD device. If you have something like an XBOX 360 I would just stick with component HD cables, same with an ordinary DVD player. I don't have a lot of experience with CableCards, because our cable company doesn't offer them, but if you can get all the content why not go for it.

I know how you feel about remotes, I have still yet to find a universal remote that works everything properly, including a $300 Logitech Harmony remote. I gave up and just use 4 LOL.

Thats just how I felt about Plasmas. I knew if I got a DLP that I'd always really want a Plasma.

we bought a SACD (super audio cd) player, and it is a totally different listening experience, much like a concert. i have a martin logan set hooked up downstairs and a bose set upstairs. its great. you should definetly try SACD, go to best buy and tell them to put on a demo for you. each speaker gets a channel and it is very cool. i wish they made more SACDs, (or that you could download them). the players arnt even that expensive any more. i think this shopping season you could find one for about $100. plasmas are the way to go lol

just a little side question...anybody know why it takes like 5 seconds after pressing the power button for the TV to actually turn on? this needs to me fixed instantly and is one of my biggest gripes with LCD Tv's.

picture this: your downstairs in your kitchen and its commercial so you decide to run up (this also works with any other room changing examples), its a season premier and you have to wait like 5 seconds and by that time, you missed something crucial

some of you may be calling me crazy at this point, but still, whats up with that?

just a little side question...anybody know why it takes like 5 seconds after pressing the power button for the TV to actually turn on? this needs to me fixed instantly and is one of my biggest gripes with LCD Tv's.

picture this: your downstairs in your kitchen and its commercial so you decide to run up (this also works with any other room changing examples), its a season premier and you have to wait like 5 seconds and by that time, you missed something crucial

some of you may be calling me crazy at this point, but still, whats up with that?

For the same reason it takes awhile for a computer to boot up. There's alot of electronic wizardry going on before it displays the picture. :wacko:

errr i dont know abotu the Tv's you used to own, but the ones i had with the large box behind it turned on instantly, with sound before picture, and then the picture would slowly come in.

You're talking about CRT(Cathode Ray Tubes) TV's. It's true what you said, but all the new type sets are different in this respect.......they all have some delay before the audio and video comes on.

I had a 17" Sony Trinitron TV in the 1970's which came on immediately...both picture & sound. :)

Like I said before, these new sets have too much electronic switching to be able to come on immediately, but maybe in the future, they will.

lol i have a tv that i maybe bought 5 years ago, a panasonic one with the larger back and it also turns on. but anyways...were moving on :)

Like I said before, these new sets have too much electronic switching to be able to come on immediately, but maybe in the future, they will.

lets just hope

The DLP takes that long because the light sources have to come up to brightness and temp. However I too am annoyed by that. I dont know if the new DLP with Light emitting diode is faster, havent been to the store to check them out.

errr i dont know abotu the Tv's you used to own, but the ones i had with the large box behind it turned on instantly, with sound before picture, and then the picture would slowly come in.

You're talking about CRT(Cathode Ray Tubes) TV's. It's true what you said, but all the new type sets are different in this respect.......they all have some delay before the audio and video comes on.

I had a 17" Sony Trinitron TV in the 1970's which came on immediately...both picture & sound. :)

Yea that's true. My grandma (somewhere) has one of the first colored Sony TVs and once you switch that bad boy on, the picture and sound come on instantly. But i think the smaller 13" tvs turn on instantly (at least in our house it does) but bigger ones take time. We have an old 97 27" Sony Trinitron and I remember that thing always took "forever" to turn on. I was always *BLEEP*ed back then that I was missing parts of my shows because it took so long to turn on. But i think our Plasma doesnt take that long to "boot" up IMHO. ;)