Passenger Seat Belt Bells And Light

I have a 2006 RX400h and everytime I put either my laptop, my daughters school books, or some camping stuff on the front seat, the seat belt light goes on and the bell rings for awhile. If I put the car in reverse and then drive again, it starts all over with the bells. This gets especially annoying when out on a camping trip with the kids making their own noise.

Does anyone know what to unplug or jumper to override the passenger seat without affecting the airbag controls?

hey don, im assuming, lol

somebody on the IS forum just posted something about this, and there was a little "hack" to disable it via the odometer controls. id suggest searching for it, or going to the forum link, it was fairly recent.

goodluck!

I have a 2006 RX400h and everytime I put either my laptop, my daughters school books, or some camping stuff on the front seat, the seat belt light goes on and the bell rings for awhile. If I put the car in reverse and then drive again, it starts all over with the bells. This gets especially annoying when out on a camping trip with the kids making their own noise.

Does anyone know what to unplug or jumper to override the passenger seat without affecting the airbag controls?

:whistles: I can appreciate the problem but I think the easiest solution is to 'buckle-up'! I don't think the belt should interfere and it's a simple solution not risking any disabling functions. If you were real inventive, you might find the metal part of the seat belt someplace and use it whenever you wanted the seat belt alarm disabled! I'm guessing it's a rather simple 'switch' that goes off/on dependent on whether something is in the clip!

Don. I haven't tried this yet on new 400h, but on previous cars the bell/gong is nothing more than a module that unplugs, typically under the instruments. It's similar to a turn signal relay on most cars.

I tried what was listed on the IS forum and it worked greatjava script:emoticon(':)', 'smid_11')

:). Using software rather than hardward to override it is better from the standpoint of not affecting the airbags. Of course, one still needs to always buckle-up, but this sure helps with the passenger seat triggering the alarm with the slightest amount of weight!

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;hl=seat+belt

Here is an example to turn off the seat belt warning:

1. turn the key to the ON position (press Start 2 times), foot off the brake

2. cycle the odometer with the trip reset button until the ODO is displayed (not trip A or B )

3. turn the ignition to the LOCK (OFF) position

4. unbuckle the driver's seatbelt if it was buckled.

5. turn the key to the ON position (Press Start 2 times). when the dash lights have come on, press and hold the trip reset button and count a slow 12 seconds. (editor's note, hold it more like 30 sec)

6. while still holding the trip reset button, buckle the driver's side seatbelt.

7. the odometer display should read "b ON" or "b OFF". toggle the beep OFF with the trip reset.

8. the process should be completed when you unbuckle or turn the key off

• 9 months later...

Find a male seatbelt connector that happens to fit into the Lexus female connector and leave it there. Perhaps at an auto parts dealer or junkyard.

Tom