Wire In Trunk

VBdenny

Hey, I can't seem to find the thread where it explained the problem dealing with a wire in the trunk. This is the wire that was made slightly shorter than it needed to be and sometimes breaks causing the Reverse Indiator light to come on when you apply the brakes.

I seem to remember it being a blue wire or something? ANy help is appreicated.

Hey, I can't seem to find the thread where it explained the problem dealing with a wire in the trunk. This is the wire that was made slightly shorter than it needed to be and sometimes breaks causing the Reverse Indiator light to come on when you apply the brakes.

I seem to remember it being a blue wire or something? ANy help is appreicated.

I can't seem to attach a link, but here is a quote from CUman, I hope this helps:

"A very common problem on the early LS models involves a broken wire in the wiring harness which is attached to the driver side trunk hinge. I have never heard of this problem causing the exact same thing that you are experiencing; however, it does cause numerous electrical problems which manifest themselves in strange ways. You can read the numerous posts about this problem by using the "Search" function.

The wire involved is white with a black stripe. It is a ground wire. Pull the wires loose from the trunk hinge, remove some of the tape around them, and look for this particular wire. The wire may be broken. If so, repair the break by splicing a short length of new wire into it. The problem apparently occurs because this particular wire is too short. The flexing as the trunk opens and closes eventually puts enough strain on the wire to break it.

Another possibility is that you have corrosion in the taillight socket. Clean all electrical contact points where the bulb mates with the socket. Another thing to try is bending the contacts at the bottom of the socket to make them fit tighter to the bulb."

Thanks, that is the wire I was talking about. There was a couple good threads on them from a couple years ago but there was a big crash around that time and some threads were lost.

Thats' what I read too somewhere, about the crash. Actually I was looking up the same thread just a few days ago, because I am having ur exact problem, I just haven't gotten around to fixing it, I just hope its not a huge pain in the derrier. good luck tho. :cheers:

oh man i hated this problem, it gets to the point where your car will actually shift down when u are breaking, get it fixed as soon as possible, i had to stop the car sometimes and slam the trunk to get some contact before i fixed it...

The car shifted down, because of that particular wire, or some other wire that was broken? I have read about all the electrical anomalies from those trunk wires, so my question is this... should I extend all the wires with new wires while I'm at it? Or just worry about the ground wire? Dilemmas dilemmas! :whistles:

I guess I will try to take a look at it this weekend. I did not remember the part about the downshift problem. I KNOW there was a thread on here about this very issue I just can not find it.

Anyone save this thread?

I jumped on this job this morning and sure enough, the wire was broken right where the hinge flexed the wires. I took a bunch of pictures and will put together a tutorial on this.

A very easy job, thanks for the help everyone

Denny