Hello - New 1992 Sc400 Owner - General Questions

Hello everyone!

(Messed up the topic post title, it's a 1993 not a 1992... but you cant change topic titles as a user)

I've been lurking here and on another SC forum for the past 2 months while entertaining the prospect of buying an SC400. This is not a long time to be sure, but it's been long enough to learn a fair amount about the 300's and 400's. Some things however, I never thought to ask or research before I lucked out this afternoon when I BOUGHT MY SC400 (woohoo! yes, I'm happy).

Here's the thing, this car is AMAZINGLY well kept and I only paid $8249.63 total tax/tag/title from the Mercedez of Tampa dealership for it with 107k original miles. From what I can tell this is a good solid deal - not one in crazy land where an absurdly low price is the cover for trouble lurking just beneath the surface with fangs - but a true solid deal for a 1993 one owner car with a clean car fax and service history papers from day dot to today. (Ft. Meyer's FL owner I believe... an "Aurthur” perhaps). Heck he could be or have been a member here for all I know. EVERYTHING works on the car except the 12Disc changer and two LED's on the top climate control panel (left and center position LEDS). The LCD screen it’s self though is working splendidly without any of that leaking liquid crystal you often see. Besides those two things, every button knob, control lever and motorized part on the whole car inside and out works. Even the paint is SPOTLESS (this was obviously a garaged car that was washed and waxed often) and although I am NOT (and I have to repeat that, NOT) a "Gold Package" car trim guy....All the gold is actualy still gold with no flaking and all that which you normally see on old cars that had gold on them. Someone loved this car - and it drives like a dream.

So why am I really posting here where generally people have nothing much to say if life is great and everything works? Well, the owners manual was not in the glove box so a few really simple questions are in my head. Care to help?

My first question is what octane pump gas should I use? I'm assuming 93 but please let me know. Additionally, how many gallons is the tank and what is the MPG for a 1993 SC400 in CTY/HWY?

Question 2 is, on the center console there is an ECT / PWR toggle switch. When in ECT position there are no lights on the dash display, but when in PWR position an indicator on the dash lights which shows PWR highlights and oddly enough, ECT above that, but not highlighted. Is this how that indicator is supposed to function?

Q 3 is, which of these modes of Transmission operation should I use for city driving, and then which for highway driving. I'm not a hot-rodder but I DO like to get f&$k up and go from stop if in first position at a light in the city or while entering the flow of traffic from the on ramp to the interstate.

Q 4 is, what type of Oil does my car use from the factory, and what type of oil for a well kept but older SC400 V8 motor have others proven to be a good match that I might also turn to.

Q 5 is, how often should this V8 have it's oil changed? 3000 miles or 5/6000 miles? I'm assuming regular oil type rules apply here and if I'm running dino juice 3000 where as synthetic gets the 5/6000 treatment. Is this right?

Q 6 is, What are the Wheel offset and lugnut specs? I'd VERY much like to replace the stock chrome 16's as soon as possible if I can (anyone looking to buy a nicely kept set of stock 1993 chrome wheels with the gold package logos that actually are still gold?)

Q 7 is, for pure laughs becuase I happen to already like my cell phone a lot, but if I wanted to make the phone in the center console work.... just what would be required? There is something commical about the Miami Vice'ness of that phone unit and it could be a laugh from time to time... Then again maybe I'm just being silly :)

Q 8 is, what kind of price should I expect to pay for insurance as a clean drivning history 31 year old white male with Gieco insurance? I know I'll find out in the alloted 72 hours that I have to get the new insurance linked up to this car from my current program - but it's on my mind and it's late so why not ask? One of you just might know right?

Q 9 is, and now I know this wont be covered in any user manual from Toyota/Lexus but, I live in Florida and just dropped a wad of cash on an outright purchase but want to look for a body kit and some other extras. This means I'll be buying used and refurbushing to suit so.... Anyone live in the central Florida area who's looking to offload an old kit on the cheap? Or wheels for that matter? heck, any manner of parts even?

Thanks for taking the time to read my whole hello post here - and I give my sincere thank you in advance to anyone / all of you who have the time to answer some or all of these questions. :)

Hello everyone!

(Messed up the topic post title, it's a 1993 not a 1992... but you cant change topic titles as a user)

I've been lurking here and on another SC forum for the past 2 months while entertaining the prospect of buying an SC400. This is not a long time to be sure, but it's been long enough to learn a fair amount about the 300's and 400's. Some things however, I never thought to ask or research before I lucked out this afternoon when I BOUGHT MY SC400 (woohoo! yes, I'm happy).

Here's the thing, this car is AMAZINGLY well kept and I only paid $8249.63 total tax/tag/title from the Mercedez of Tampa dealership for it with 107k original miles. From what I can tell this is a good solid deal - not one in crazy land where an absurdly low price is the cover for trouble lurking just beneath the surface with fangs - but a true solid deal for a 1993 one owner car with a clean car fax and service history papers from day dot to today. (Ft. Meyer's FL owner I believe... an "Aurthur” perhaps). Heck he could be or have been a member here for all I know. EVERYTHING works on the car except the 12Disc changer and two LED's on the top climate control panel (left and center position LEDS). The LCD screen it’s self though is working splendidly without any of that leaking liquid crystal you often see. Besides those two things, every button knob, control lever and motorized part on the whole car inside and out works. Even the paint is SPOTLESS (this was obviously a garaged car that was washed and waxed often) and although I am NOT (and I have to repeat that, NOT) a "Gold Package" car trim guy....All the gold is actualy still gold with no flaking and all that which you normally see on old cars that had gold on them. Someone loved this car - and it drives like a dream.

So why am I really posting here where generally people have nothing much to say if life is great and everything works? Well, the owners manual was not in the glove box so a few really simple questions are in my head. Care to help?

My first question is what octane pump gas should I use? I'm assuming 93 but please let me know. Additionally, how many gallons is the tank and what is the MPG for a 1993 SC400 in CTY/HWY?

Question 2 is, on the center console there is an ECT / PWR toggle switch. When in ECT position there are no lights on the dash display, but when in PWR position an indicator on the dash lights which shows PWR highlights and oddly enough, ECT above that, but not highlighted. Is this how that indicator is supposed to function?

Q 3 is, which of these modes of Transmission operation should I use for city driving, and then which for highway driving. I'm not a hot-rodder but I DO like to get f&$k up and go from stop if in first position at a light in the city or while entering the flow of traffic from the on ramp to the interstate.

Q 4 is, what type of Oil does my car use from the factory, and what type of oil for a well kept but older SC400 V8 motor have others proven to be a good match that I might also turn to.

Q 5 is, how often should this V8 have it's oil changed? 3000 miles or 5/6000 miles? I'm assuming regular oil type rules apply here and if I'm running dino juice 3000 where as synthetic gets the 5/6000 treatment. Is this right?

Q 6 is, What are the Wheel offset and lugnut specs? I'd VERY much like to replace the stock chrome 16's as soon as possible if I can (anyone looking to buy a nicely kept set of stock 1993 chrome wheels with the gold package logos that actually are still gold?)

Q 7 is, for pure laughs becuase I happen to already like my cell phone a lot, but if I wanted to make the phone in the center console work.... just what would be required? There is something commical about the Miami Vice'ness of that phone unit and it could be a laugh from time to time... Then again maybe I'm just being silly :)

Q 8 is, what kind of price should I expect to pay for insurance as a clean drivning history 31 year old white male with Gieco insurance? I know I'll find out in the alloted 72 hours that I have to get the new insurance linked up to this car from my current program - but it's on my mind and it's late so why not ask? One of you just might know right?

Q 9 is, and now I know this wont be covered in any user manual from Toyota/Lexus but, I live in Florida and just dropped a wad of cash on an outright purchase but want to look for a body kit and some other extras. This means I'll be buying used and refurbushing to suit so.... Anyone live in the central Florida area who's looking to offload an old kit on the cheap? Or wheels for that matter? heck, any manner of parts even?

Thanks for taking the time to read my whole hello post here - and I give my sincere thank you in advance to anyone / all of you who have the time to answer some or all of these questions. :)

Q 1: Premium gas, 91+ is fine

Q 2: Yes

Q 3: I believe it only affects the shifting points

Q 5: Yes, this seems good

Q 7: In 1993, these might have been analog car phones

Q 8: Less than $100/month for full coverage I'd guess