Extremely Loud "rattle" Between 1k An 2k Rpms From Tranny

My 1993 Lexus SC300 5-speed just started making this horrible very loud rattling noise at idle all the way up to 2k rpms. When I press the clutch in the noise stops but with the clutch out the noise is very scary. After searching the site I found that many of you said this was the release bearing (throwout bearing). I was curious about how loud was your release bearing? What will be the result of driving the car for 2 more days until the part is in? I just had my clutch replaced 8 months ago, does it seem feesible for this to go out in that amount of time? When I do replace the release bearing is there anything else I should replace at the time? Thanks guys.

well if they only replaced the clutch then yes that might be the same bearing you have had for god knows how long. So if you are getting the bearing replaced also have the rear seal on the engine and the tranny oil seal replaced, the parts are less than $5 each and take 10 min to do, it is worth the extra effort to replace those too!!!

• 3 weeks later...

SOunds like it was installed improperly or you have been launching it hard too often . Those are the problems that usually kills them .

Thanks for the response guys. I am not sure what is making this noise now. I replaced the throwout bearing but that didn't solve anything. I initially thought it was related to that because the sound would stop if I pushed the clutch pedal in, the sound seems to be pretty constant under 2k rpms and it silences out after that. My car isnt smoking and doesnt have a loss of power but this noise sounds very bad. It doesnt sound like a rod knock so I am stumped as to what it could be. If I turn the car over without the ignition wire going to the dizzy, you can hear the noise pretty good. I am trying to remove my valve covers right now to see if maybe something is damaged in there. I have removed my throttle body and have loosened my valve covers but am having trouble with a bolt on the intake manifold that holds the y-pipe, (the pipe between the throttle body and manifold). The bolt that I cant reach is closest to the firewall on the underside of the pipe. I dont know how to access this bolt. Any info will help.

I attached some sounds of my engine as well. I will try to get better quality tonight.

Thanks for the response guys. I am not sure what is making this noise now. I replaced the throwout bearing but that didn't solve anything. I initially thought it was related to that because the sound would stop if I pushed the clutch pedal in, the sound seems to be pretty constant under 2k rpms and it silences out after that. My car isnt smoking and doesnt have a loss of power but this noise sounds very bad. It doesnt sound like a rod knock so I am stumped as to what it could be. If I turn the car over without the ignition wire going to the dizzy, you can hear the noise pretty good. I am trying to remove my valve covers right now to see if maybe something is damaged in there. I have removed my throttle body and have loosened my valve covers but am having trouble with a bolt on the intake manifold that holds the y-pipe, (the pipe between the throttle body and manifold). The bolt that I cant reach is closest to the firewall on the underside of the pipe. I dont know how to access this bolt. Any info will help.

I attached some sounds of my engine as well. I will try to get better quality tonight.

VerizonW.wav

rattle.wav