Wat Does U Hate About Your Es ?

MCV20

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so much. FWD powertrains are prone to something called "torque steer", where the power of the engine pulls the front end in one direction or another. Very irritating and takes the fun out of the power. You wont notice it in the ES because it isn't powerful enough, but drive a Cadillac STS or DTS with the 300hp Northstar V8, and a FWD drivetrain, dynamic disaster. Theres a reason all the high powered sports cars and luxury cars are RWD and not FWD. The GS, IS, LS, and SC Lexus are all RWD.

Leave the V8s on RWD, trust me.

Why don't you consider the IS a Lexus? Its a great little sporty car. The owner of this site has an IS.

...and its considerably more powerful than the ES.

As for AWD, yep AWD is great as long as its rear biased.

It has the Supra motor, a LOT of potential there. Great motor to work on. The manual is real heavy too, it accepts mods well. My fiance really wants an IS for herself, she like sportier cars than I do. If I decide to pay off the ES by liquidating some stocks, we might just go for one for her.

Man, you're wife has expensive taste. My wife is in love w/ the Honda Oddesy van. (lucky me) That leaves some money left over for me to upgrade soon to the GS!

I wonder why Lexus doesn't make manual an option anymore for sporty cars like the GS. That would be an awesome car then for a LOT of people. Big, roomy, comfy, reliable, and a manual. As far as I know, only BMW makes that package w/ the M5. Maybe Mercedes does too, but I'm not a fan yet of them. Lexus guy through and through. :geek:

:)

I think the Is would be a fun car, but I couldn't fit width wise. My shoulders are too wide, and the left shoulder hit the side......very uncomfortable.

But it looks like a fun car. Steve, buy one for her. Tell her I told you to. ;)

Speed,

As for the Honda Odessy, have you priced them lately. If you like the odessy, then look at the 04 Toyota Sienna. Has the fold into the floor rear seats like the Odessy now and the same 3MZ-FE motor as the RX330 and soon to be ES330.

My best friends just got one cause they gonna have a litter. It is an awesome mini-van (it ain't so mini). Alot of the creature comforts are carried over from Lexus.

steviej

Only problem with the Town and Country van is the reliability. They're known as one of the most unreliable on the market, bad transmission is a main concern. My aunt has a 96, its a beautiful van, but its always in the shop. The Odyssey is MUCH more reliable and refined, even if it isn't quite as fancy. For most families, reliability is more important than fancy, thats why the Chrysler van's market shares are slipping rapidly to Toyota and Honda.

As for the IS, I really dont care for it either. I usually request one as a loaner just to drive something different, but its small, gen Xilly styled, rides hard, just not my thing. She loves it though. She wants either it, or a Mini Cooper. I vote Mini because its $15,000 cheaper ;) Its definately a Lexus though. Through and through. As for the manual in other Lexus models, you'd think there would be a big market for the manual, but actually no there isn't at all. The vast majority of all cars, BMWs, Porsches, even Ferraris are sold with automatic, or at the most manumatic trannies. The manuals are as little as 5% of the sales volume. Thats why Lexus doesn't have any, because Toyota caters to the masses only. Thats why Lexus has no high end V12 LS, or a AMG type division. Not enough sales for them to care. They're starting to realize though that they need those things just for image, hence the 5 speed IS (which sells like crap).

Carla (the fiance, in case you didnt follow lol) actually doesn't have expensive tastes at all, I have much moreso. Money means nothing to her at all, its the damndest thing. She could have it, or not she doesn't care. She wants either an IS300, an SC430 or a Mini Cooper, I try to tell her that those cars are all in wildly different price brackets, and she just gives me a blank stare. She'd be equally happy in any of them. We were both raised in comfortable families, but it made me want to go out and maintain a certain style of living, she feels been there done that, she wouldn't mind doing it again but its not all that important to her. I'm the one that likes fancy restaurants, luxury cars, nice hotels and first class flights. She doesn't care, give her a PT Cruiser to drive to the airport for a coach flight an Econo Lodge and a 6 peice Chicken McNugget and she's happy LOL.

my turn!lol!

hate cup holders!!

love the quietness!

hate the lack of speed!they should of made it at least as powerfull as the maxima!

love the smothness

semi hate parts of the interior like the back seats that dont go down and the useless ski opening they give you to the trunk!also,the door panels are a bit blah!not enough wood grain!

love the front end look of the car and the sides!

hate the tail lights!the could of did so much better then them!

thats about all i could think of right now.overall its a nice car but they should of improved alot more alot sooner.92,93,94 then they should of realized to change the cup holders and tail lights and give it more power but waited till 97!!!!

yeh what the heck is up with that middle hole in the trunk.

OH YEH! i hate my trunk can't be double locked. and i hate i dont have a button for it..... im guessing the double lock thing is my personal problem though.... i wish my back seats would go down so i could easily put in an amp...and the two-tone car idea... you'd think they woulda changed that after the 94's. and the fact that the issue with my car is common for 92-94 over 100,000 miles.... COMMON! the accuator or the throttle switch breaking is COMMON....i know it's not a safety issue, but come on, it's a LEXUS. *Growl* not that anyone would know until then, but still...just erks me.

Piggy what's a double locking trunk :blushing: ? My main complaint other than the poorly placed cup holders and power outlet...I wonder what the thought process was...or the lack there of :lol: , the trunk opening on the 1st gen. ES3 absolutley sucks!!! It's soo small and narrow; atleast in '97 they fixed this. Also a trunk release on the key would be nice. I loove the overall smoothness and refinement of the car especially in the engine and transmission. I also love the front and rear styling complimented with a great interior and a nice smooth ride makes for one great car :D !!!

as in, i can't really lock the trunk..i can shut it but i cant lock it. (so that the button on the inside of the car can't open it..ie, if someoen broke into the car they couldnt get into the trunk, or if you went to the shop the mechanic couldnt get in unless he had a master key (which reminds me, all 3 of my keys are master keys.... no valet type key.)

There should be a trunk opener disable button in the glovebox, like Neiltyme mentioned. Hit that, then lock the glovebox with the master key. Also, you can fold down the rear armrest to reveal a keylock for the ski passthrough than can also be locked by the master key. If the previous owner didn't give you the valet key, you can get one cut at the dealer by giving them your VIN/registration (my guess is around $30-40).