Transmission Trouble?

avmedco

Problem: Until the engine warms up fully I have a slight whine/whirring noise and minor vibration at center console that can be felt thru the parking brake handle. Sounds like some kind of worn bearing. However it only occurs when stopped and when in drive. In Park or Neutral and stopped, no noise. Goes away under acceration. Once car is warmed up no more noise.

This second issue may not be related and from posts may just be the nature of the beast. Minor delay in the initial shift out of first when cold. After shifting once or twice out of first it shifts normally, warmed up or not. Also noticed a very slight ticking noise from passenger side lower dash area when slowing to a stop. This almost sounds like a leaf fluttering in a vent.

1998 Sc400 86k miles. Last ATF Type IV change ~15k miles ago. Fluid level and color check OK.

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance!

I agree. Mine was making a rattling sound too and a fluttering sound when idling at about 30 mph. Jzz30 diagnosed this a while back on mine and I just got it changed. Transmissions shop charged me 200 to change it. They told me the part was about 90 dollars which I was glad to pay since it fixed the problem perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. Mine was making a rattling sound too and a fluttering sound when idling at about 30 mph. Jzz30 diagnosed this a while back on mine and I just got it changed. Transmissions shop charged me 200 to change it. They told me the part was about 90 dollars which I was glad to pay since it fixed the problem perfectly.

Swapped the tranny mount with new. No more vibration/noise issues! The old one still looked good even after it was removed. Seems the tolerances are very tight.

Cost about $55 and less than 20 min.