Troubleshoot : Ignition Coil, Ignition Or Starter...

azmalu

Over the last few months that I have been holding key longer hear machine gun before it starts. Wire from batt is fresh 4 ga. ofc and no corrossion but I wonder if replacing starter contacts is actual issue.

Thread I read indicated that when replacing those contact you need wood block pressure of like 220lbs. I have no idea what that means. Ithought it was just something you took off and put on. I feel comfortable working on my car but now i feel like paying 20 bucks for contacts and effintg it up will be more costly than replacing starter for around a hundred....

Also what determines if you have bad solenoid in starter or bad starter or bad contacts(corrosion visble in contacts right?) and if ignition coil is bad or if something else within igntion is what makes it take longer to start. I never have the problem of it not starting on first turn its just that it takes longer than normal so I feel a little jerk when it does.

Over the last few months that I have been holding key longer hear machine gun before it starts. Wire from batt is fresh 4 ga. ofc and no corrossion but I wonder if replacing starter contacts is actual issue.

Thread I read indicated that when replacing those contact you need wood block pressure of like 220lbs. I have no idea what that means. Ithought it was just something you took off and put on. I feel comfortable working on my car but now i feel like paying 20 bucks for contacts and effintg it up will be more costly than replacing starter for around a hundred....

Also what determines if you have bad solenoid in starter or bad starter or bad contacts(corrosion visble in contacts right?) and if ignition coil is bad or if something else within igntion is what makes it take longer to start. I never have the problem of it not starting on first turn its just that it takes longer than normal so I feel a little jerk when it does.

Yeah, i'm not sure about the whole wood block thing. Thats what it says in the FSM that youy should download before you do anything. If you eff up the contacts, its just part of the starter. Either buy new contacts, or a new starter, its no going to be that much, and you will have a new starter. good luck

use this page:

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/starter/index.html