1999 Gs400 Radio Display Backlighting Problem

Hi there.

Have a 99 GS400 and half of my radio display has lost it's backlighting. Lexus wants a ridiculous amount of money to replace the head unit, but other than the display works perfectly. Any idea on a repair and how to actually remove the head unit?

Hi there.

Have a 99 GS400 and half of my radio display has lost it's backlighting. Lexus wants a ridiculous amount of money to replace the head unit, but other than the display works perfectly. Any idea on a repair and how to actually remove the head unit?

What system do you have ? Pioneer or nak. ?

• 1 year later...
Hi there.

Update (March 2008) - Removed the radio head unit and sat it down on a table and started to dissect it. Removed the face plate and got down to the LED display for the radio. Then took the LED display unit out and took it i to a electronics repair place where the soldered two new bulbs into the back of the display and charged a ridiculously low price of $17.00 for the repair. Took the repaired display back home and reassembled the radio where it has been working fine for the last several months. Suck on that Lexus.

• 10 months later...
Hi there.

Update (March 2008) - Removed the radio head unit and sat it down on a table and started to dissect it. Removed the face plate and got down to the LED display for the radio. Then took the LED display unit out and took it i to a electronics repair place where the soldered two new bulbs into the back of the display and charged a ridiculously low price of $17.00 for the repair. Took the repaired display back home and reassembled the radio where it has been working fine for the last several months. Suck on that Lexus.

Hey I have the exact same problem with my lexus, it kind of sucks and I want to get it fix asap. I know how to disassemble everything, but I dont know which store to take it to, and when they fix it does it look good?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have radio LCD's if interested, Comes with install instructions and lifetime warranty. Leave your email address.

I have a 99 gs300 with the LCD problem. Please email me prices for replacement part and instructions. Thanks SG

s.lgreen@comcast.net

• 2 weeks later...
I have radio LCD's if interested, Comes with install instructions and lifetime warranty. Leave your email address.

I have a 99 gs300 with the LCD problem. Please email me prices for replacement part and instructions. Thanks SG

s.lgreen@comcast.net

Please clarify your email address Is it SGs.lgreen or lgreen ?

nguyengs42@yahoo.com

I also have missing segments to my LCD display, 1999 GS400.

As an aside, I also have a Mazda with the same problem, however, applying finger pressure on the edge of the bezel brings back the entire display. LCD panels are typically 'coupled' to the circuit board via a thin rubber strip with parallel rows of conductors embedded within it. It is a loss of contact pressure that takes out individual segments, and why pushing on the edge of the Mazda display brings it back.

I've not (yet) considered removing the head unit of my Lexus radio. How difficult is it to remove, then get down to the LCD layer? has anyone had any success in increasing the 'squeeze' between the LCD panel and the circuit board, or does the Lexus's radio use some other system?

please send me the LCD replacement info, Thanks. lon.levine@gmail.com

s.lgreen@comcast.net

Please clarify your email address Is it SGs.lgreen or lgreen ?

s.lgreen@comcast.net Thanks again Shawn

• 1 year later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 4 years later...