Frustrating Experience With My 1992 Ls

sv7887

Hi Guys,

A real frustrating experience with my car. My car is a 1992 LS with 100,400 miles on the clock. I got back from a business trip and the check engine and trac off lights were on. It was also squeaking as I was driving it. They replaced the O2 sensors (I knew that one was coming) and replaced the engine belt for the second time in a few months. It still squeaks and it drives me nuts. They replaced the wipers and air filter so the bill was another $1,000.

I already had been to the dealer twice this year and spent $4000 in all sorts of stuff. (Front suspension, brakes all around, Rear Carrier bushings, Fan Clutch, Thermostat, P/s Hose and Rack, New needles for the cluster, new wood trim, and tires). The interior and body are near perfect. Suspension and most mechanical systems are all new.

The only things I can think of that may need attention are: Fuel Pump, Alternator, A/C (I don't use it that much), and perhaps the exhaust. Anything I'm missing here?

So okay, it's an old car, I understand. But 3 visits in a year? Here's the underlying issue: From reading this forum I told them to replace the tensioner and/or pulleys. They refuse to. "There is nothing wrong with it" Yet this car keeps squeaking with the new belts, and keeps eating them at $200 a pop! Ahh!

It only drives once a week. They tell me "Recommend you drive the car more..." Okay..Why is it that a brand new belt makes the same noise as the old one?? The guy who works on my car is the Shop Foreman and he's a real good guy. I trust him. It's just annoying though.

I've asked them repeatedly, "You guys know these cars, give me a list of things that will go wrong on it..Money isn't an object, if it's broken fix it!!!"

I just want to be able to drive it for a little while and enjoy it without having to go to the dealer every few months. As it is I only drive once a week. I am sorely tempted to trade it and just deal with the loss on the maintenance stuff.

I went looking in the showroom...They just don't build them the same way. I sat in a new IS and ES and was disappointed. The door handles aren't that big piece of solid metal like my LS are. Both cars didn't have that tank like feel the LS does.

I can deal with the $$$ required for this car's upkeeping..I really don't want to drive this car everyday, especially in the nasty New England Winter. My logic is that I don't want to wear it out. I have a 2006 Corolla that I use as a daily driver (Man, this thing has had the worst assembly quality of any Toyota car I've had) I'm thinking of getting rid of the Corolla asap, and am not sure what to do.

I could do two things:

a) Trade the LS on something..Maybe that is the wise thing to do..I'm not sure. I know the posters on this board can tell me how much $$$ I'll be on the hook for..The car has tremendous sentimental value (Always a dangerous thing when dealing with cars!) It was my dad's 50th birthday present to himself, and I was a 12yr old at the time.. I used to steal the keys so I could listen to music in it..It's been mine for a long time now..I'd hate to give it up at this point. I can afford the repairs, so that isn't a valid excuse.

B) Keep the LS, ditch the Corolla and get something nicer as a daily driver, and find a way to keep the LS mothballed without ruining it.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys for letting me vent!!

Sam

there is very good chance that the drive belt tensioner is making the noise.

I had been thru this for my 96 SC400 (basically the same 1UZFE engine and components). brand new drive belt, new pulley...etc. but they didn't help to rid of the ultra annoying squeaking noise. it turned out to be the drive belt tensioner! the bad news is that it's very labor intensive to replace the tensioner tensioner.jpg

you will need to remove whole bunch of overlaping parts in order to reach it :angry: !

two major steps:

must remove alternator because alternator and tensioner share one long bolt (the one in the top red circle shown in picture), and the alternator's sockets is positioned in front of the tensioner's socket:

timingbelt20.jpg

there are 2 pieces of plastic molds must be removed because they are overlapping belt tensioner assembly: 1. left CAM shaft cover 2. the piece between tensioner and idler. in order to remove these pieces, you must firstly remove timing belt cover, air intake, and one piece leads to another.... :angry:

I bought the complete tensioner assembly (including a new pulley) from autozone (part#305255, made by Dayco, $65)

for those about to do the timing belt job, you will want to add this tensioner to your list. otherwise it will takes hours of labor just to change out the tensioner alone.

Keep the LS, ditch the Corolla
That's my vote. I've never understood the idea behind buying a nice car only to drive a tin can 6 days/week. Sell the Corolla, and find another dealer who will address your problems. That's good that the shop foreman is nice, but his kindness isn't making your car any better, and you should get a lot more than kindness for $110/hour and highly marked up parts. Find a shop who will take care of your car's issues, buy a set of winter tires, and enjoy this car that you are so attached to. ;)

Wear it out? You've still got a long way to go before you wear out a car that is capable of easily reaching 300k+ miles.

Hi Everyone,

I really appreciate the thoughtful responses. The impression of the car wearing out has come from the amount of parts replaced recently. Something has been happening every few months and had required 3 service visits this year. I understand it's old hence the idea of a "beater" car to keep the load off of the LS. Age will take it's toll on any car. It went 13 yrs before it really needed anything. I don't mind, the car is worth it.

It's all nice and shiny now..I'd hate to subject to the nasty winters around here. I've replaced so many parts in the last year I can't even remember what they've done. I'm so anal about the Body that the body shop laughs at me everytime I try to get something fixed.

The one thing I do know is that everytime I get it back from the dealer it's even better. This time it runs like a bat out of hell with those new oxygen sensors. Rides like a dream too. I get upset when I see the bill, but when I get back into the car I remember Why I am doing all of this.

They are actually decent on the prices and really fair when they screw something up. I've been going to that dealership since I was 12 yrs old. Maybe you're right, I should have the other Lexus dealer have a shot at it.

Apparently they found both my rear tires (Turanza LS-V's) are out of round and still vibrate even though they used a Road Force balancer. I've only done 1K on these tires so hopefully it will be covered.

These are great cars. I looked in the Lexus showroom two days ago and nothing really suited my fancy. Maybe it's the look, maybe it's the outstanding build quality, or just the presence..But there is nothing like it anywhere.

You're right about the Corolla. Everyone laughs at me for driving it. I don't even have power windows or locks in it!! I tell you though, every Friday is a real treat when I take the LS out. Nothing like the burst of power from the V-8 and cruising silently at 75 MPH to remind you what a great car this is..

I'll get the car fixed and hopefully enjoy it without having to return to the dealer in a few months!

Thanks

Sam

Keep the LS, ditch the Corolla
That's my vote. I've never understood the idea behind buying a nice car only to drive a tin can 6 days/week. Sell the Corolla, and find another dealer who will address your problems. That's good that the shop foreman is nice, but his kindness isn't making your car any better, and you should get a lot more than kindness for $110/hour and highly marked up parts. Find a shop who will take care of your car's issues, buy a set of winter tires, and enjoy this car that you are so attached to. ;)

Wear it out? You've still got a long way to go before you wear out a car that is capable of easily reaching 300k+ miles.