Just Got A 95 Ls400 Oil Filter Question

romy

I just got a 95 LS400 from my dad. The car has only 40K( yes) miles on it. He kept it in an airconditioned garage in california and drove very little. The car still looks brand new. I changed the spark plugs(NGK iridium), air filter, oil and filter, differential oil. Everything that I changed looked new!!!.

I put a bosch oil filter, which after reading this forum, I assume is not a good idea.

Can somebody give me a toyota part number so that I can get some from the local toyata dealer?

Hello:

I do not feel you have an emergency because you put a Bosh Filter as far as I am concern you can leave it until the next oil change. You should do that between 3,000 and 5000 miles depending on how hard you run the car. You can also leave it for a 1000 miles and give it an oil change to take away all the bad stuff from the car not being used the way it should had. Then buy an OEM, or better the TRD if you want to be more strict with the filters. I have used K & N, OEM and will soon be using Purulator, all are good brands. Look in the net a study made by the oilguy and do your analysis. The most important thing is that you do not run the car with less oil than the required and that you do not miss the oil & filter change schedule.

C> P R

I just got a 95 LS400 from my dad. The car has only 40K( yes) miles on it. He kept it in an airconditioned garage in california and drove very little. The car still looks brand new. I changed the spark plugs(NGK iridium), air filter, oil and filter, differential oil. Everything that I changed looked new!!!.

I put a bosch oil filter, which after reading this forum, I assume is not a good idea.

Can somebody give me a toyota part number so that I can get some from the local toyata dealer?

If you're really intent on high-performance filtration, check on cannister filters for the LS400. They're more expensive initially ($25-$50 generally), but give you the ability to relpace the filter element only in future changes ($1-$9 per filter, usually in boxes of 10).

They do a great filtration job due to the high density folds in the element. There is another benefit having to do with lower oil pressure within the filter (which enhances flow rates), but I'm not sure on the science behind it.

The only real way to find out if filter A is better designed than filter B is to cut them open (to see the elements). Count the folds and that will give you a rough idea (more folds implies better filtration). There used to be a website that compared a wide selection of filters in this manner - might want to google it.

There is nothing really wrong with the Bosch filter. Just buy an OEM one next time, for every change after that. It ain't rocket science, and it ain't worth perseverating about. Forget about using any special filters, or ultra micron super duper flavour of the month over-hyped crap. Use a Toyota filter and get on with the rest of your life.

I have 2 ls400's, so have to stock up on maintenance parts!

I just purchased 6 K&N Performance Gold Filters for 8.50 at ajusa

Shipped free and after the extra 5 bucks off any order over $50, got 'em for a total of $7.66 ea!

IMHO, I think that these are the best you can get! :D

http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/knfilters/det...b302b7423062d78

Then those K&N filters are a rip. I buy the OEM filters by the factory package of 10, and get them wholesale through my business. They work out to $4.85 each Canadian funds. I can assure you that the Toyota designed filter is the best for the engine, which of course is a Toyota design......

Then those K&N filters are a rip. I buy the OEM filters by the factory package of 10, and get them wholesale through my business. They work out to $4.85 each Canadian funds. I can assure you that the Toyota designed filter is the best for the engine, which of course is a Toyota design......

Awesome deal SRK! Warehouse prices through your business! Where can we sign up??

So I spend an extra 3 bucks every 5000 miles...big deal. :cries:

FYI, K&N filters are known throughout racing circles in providing ultimate protection especially with the anti-drainback valve.

Features

Drilled safety wire holes for racing

Sturdy 1" wrench nut makes removal quick and easy

Metal leaf spring provides a positive seal between element and lid

Heavy-duty construction provides up to 550 PSI hydrostatic burst strength*

Resin-impregnated filter media provides maximum filtering surface for contaminant removal

Inner core provides extra structural support to prevent filter collapse

Anti-drainback valve (where applicable) eliminates dry starts, prevents oil from draining back into crankcase during engine shutdown

Internally lubricated gasket provides positive seal while allowing easy on and off of filter

Rolled threads provide extra protection against stripping.

BTW, We are only sharing our personal experiences and "opinions" which hopefully doesn't mean we get "ripped" everytime we speak our mind! I challenge you to provide superior specifications with the Toyota/OEM filters. I can assure you that you will have a difficult time.

Have a great day!

mechinics dont even get that good of a deal at the lexus dealership how did that work out

Maybe they like me.....

Sewell Lexus seems to sell the same part number (box of 10 filters) at under $40.00 US funds. I just used the number at my local dealer.

I have no numbers or other details on the Toyota filters, but it's obviously a good one - and maybe the K&N one is good too. I just can't see paying more for a filter than the dealer would charge.

My comments were not intended to be taken personally - simply an opinion on the price, and not anyone on this board.

I use K&N filters. Yeah, I know they are more expensive but I don't care. I will look into the information that lexusnut provided as I have three cars that I use K&N filters one. In reality, any oil filter changed often enough is probably fine. Just make sure you run synthetic oil through them.