Starting Issues, Where To Start

First post on this forum!

I have a 200 ES 300 that is having starting problems. Sometimes it fires right up, other times it turns over 20 times and then fires, and other times it only clicks.

From searching i have found that you can buy a rebuild kit for the starter contacts, and have found that kit. I will try that this weekend, any tips on using it?

I have also heard that a bad battery could be the cause, any truth to this? How do I check the battery? Will autozone do it for free?

Any tips on pulling the starter?

Thansk for all the help, much appreciated :cheers:

Welcome to LOC!

I would first check the battery term. Maybe lose?

I would ust take a volt meter on the battery. Check, then start car and see what it reads. It should not be below like 11.5 volts when not running *should be around 12*. When running, I THINK, it should be above 12.5 volts. If above then alt is working and charging batt. If not, I would check battery and then alt.

Pulling starter tips? Nope, I have not done a starter in years...getting old I guess LOL

Thanks for the response. I did check the battery, but I don't believe I got a correct reading. I got 27V not running, and then got 13V running. :wacko: To be sure i am going to Autozone to have them check it, just to be sure.

Since the kit is so cheap, I'm just going to go ahead and do it. While I am at it I will remove the battery connections and clean them, and re-lube them. Do you happen to know what the "stuff" is called that they put on the terminals? Is it dielectric much like your spark plugs?

From the Service manuels i have found on the top of this forum it looks like there are only 2 bolts that need to be removed to pull the starter.

Hopefully this will work, and save me a bunch of money, but if not, i will now know how to pull the starter, and replace it should be much easier.

I'm open for more suggestions, and thanks again!

i would have the starting/charging system checked out with properly. i recommend having it checked on a midtronics tester, that checks the whole system. this will let you know the actual state of the battery, the starter draw and alternator performance at different load levels. this will also let you know if the diodes in the alternator are still good or are starting to leak.

First post on this forum!

I have a 200 ES 300 that is having starting problems. Sometimes it fires right up, other times it turns over 20 times and then fires, and other times it only clicks.

From searching i have found that you can buy a rebuild kit for the starter contacts, and have found that kit. I will try that this weekend, any tips on using it?

I have also heard that a bad battery could be the cause, any truth to this? How do I check the battery? Will autozone do it for free?

Any tips on pulling the starter?

Thansk for all the help, much appreciated :cheers:

The clicking, specifically, is typically the result of some resistance in the electrical current flow path from the battery to the starter motor. I would remove the battery connections, clean and burnish the connections and the battery posts, reconnect and check the battery negative, ground, connection for tightness and the one at the starter solenoid.

The problem could also be a weak or intermittent cell internal to the battery, if its more than 3 years old....